Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Which set up? Motorhome and 4x4 SUV vs truck & side by side & travel trailer

Please help this Newbie, having trouble deciding.

Looking for input from people who may have, or are already doing this. What's the best set up for long term backcountry exploring? My plan is to set up a base camp for 3-14 days at a time, then take day or overnight trips exploring farther back into the surrounding backcountry with 4x4 or UTV.

Background;
I just recently retired and want to travel full time exploring western Canada in the summer and the warmer US states in the winter (as soon as Covid is over). I hope/plan on primarily boondocking as far from other campers as possible (ideally). I plan on sticking to back country bush/forest/mountain trails/roads with either a 4x4 SUV or a UTV, I don't plan on doing any heavy duty 4x4'n, rock crawling or mud bogging as I prefer to spend my retirement sight seeing with my vehicle as opposed to fixing it.

Option #1
25+/- ft Class C Motorhome towing a 4x4 SUV (Jeep/4Runner)
Pros: Simpler combination with 2 pieces of equipment instead of 3 like in option 2.
Cons: Can't get as far into the back country with the Jeep/4Runner as the UTV. Can I get to the same private base camps spots as in option 2?

Option #2
1 ton truck hauling UTV and pulling a 20-25 ft travel trailer.
Pros: UTV more capable off road, Can I get farther back into more private base camp spots pulling a TT as opposed to option 1 or is it about the same??
Cons: 3 pieces of equipment to maintain, use of UTV is weather dependent, truck is unwieldly to drive when loaded with UTV.

Please feel free to mention any other Pros and Cons that I forgot.

Thanks in advance.
Snowbird69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 07:35 PM   #2

You can do what I'm doing with a little modification. I have a Super C pulling a Ford F150 4x4 with a motorcycle in the bed of the truck. You could do the same thing but substitute a UTV for the bike. Someone has got to make canvas for the UTV or you could get a boat place to make it for you. That makes your UTV less weather dependent. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:43 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you really want to get off the road, I would go with the truck, UTV and trailer. A Class C will not be as off road capable as a truck dragging a trailer. More likely to get a Class C stuck.

I don't know why you think a 1 ton with a UTV in the bed would be unruly. I carried a 50" RZR in the bed of my 1/2 ton Silverado for two years, being towed by me DP. The 1/2 ton did find, I added air bags for stability.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:45 PM   #4

Option 3
1 ton dually pulling toy hauler with SxS in the garage.
Pros: UTV more capable off road, Can I get farther back into more private base camp spots as opposed to option 1.
Cons: 3 pieces of equipment to maintain, use of UTV is weather dependent (depending on how it is set up) , truck is unwieldly to drive when loaded with UTV (Again depends on your perspective).

We have done this exact same thing the last 2 years and has been great. I was not able to load my SxS in the truck since I have a fuel/tool box. We put over 4000 miles on our SxS last year.

Option 4
HDT with SxS on bed and TT or 5th wheel.
Cons: Not as agile as dually.
Pros: Can be much cheaper than dually. Much more capable than other trucks. Cool factor. Able to add additional waste and fresh water tanks for boondocking.

We have about 4,000 miles on this new set up and very happy so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDT Combo.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	327732  
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:50 PM   #5
PKI

You are working too hard at this. One ton dually 4x4 and a slide in camper. Both take you where you want to go and you have your home with you. Given the desire to have a long term RV residence, you can always add a trailer, but I'd give the one vehicle solution a try to start.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:40 AM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
You can do what I'm doing with a little modification. I have a Super C pulling a Ford F150 4x4 with a motorcycle in the bed of the truck. You could do the same thing but substitute a UTV for the bike. Someone has got to make canvas for the UTV or you could get a boat place to make it for you. That makes your UTV less weather dependent. Good luck.
Already thought through option but decided it won't work as I'm trying to keep the motorhome size down around 25 ft in order to optimize offroad maneuverability, a super C is just too big. Plus, I'm looking at a 4 seat UTV which won't fit in the box of a pickup. Yes, they do make canvas for UTV, but they are a pain to deal with and aren't very user friendly.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:44 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
You are working too hard at this. One ton dually 4x4 and a slide in camper. Both take you where you want to go and you have your home with you. Given the desire to have a long term RV residence, you can always add a trailer, but I'd give the one vehicle solution a try to start.
Already thought through this option, I would not be able to live long term in a truck camper and a duallys are terrible off road.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:50 AM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
Option 3
1 ton dually pulling toy hauler with SxS in the garage.
Pros: UTV more capable off road, Can I get farther back into more private base camp spots as opposed to option 1.
Cons: 3 pieces of equipment to maintain, use of UTV is weather dependent (depending on how it is set up) , truck is unwieldly to drive when loaded with UTV (Again depends on your perspective).

We have done this exact same thing the last 2 years and has been great. I was not able to load my SxS in the truck since I have a fuel/tool box. We put over 4000 miles on our SxS last year.

Option 4
HDT with SxS on bed and TT or 5th wheel.
Cons: Not as agile as dually.
Pros: Can be much cheaper than dually. Much more capable than other trucks. Cool factor. Able to add additional waste and fresh water tanks for boondocking.

We have about 4,000 miles on this new set up and very happy so far.
Option 3 - Also thought through this option but, not a fan of having a UTV inside the living quarters like in a Toy hauler.

Option 4 - not big on having a big rig as my daily driver.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:56 AM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If you really want to get off the road, I would go with the truck, UTV and trailer. A Class C will not be as off road capable as a truck dragging a trailer. More likely to get a Class C stuck.

I don't know why you think a 1 ton with a UTV in the bed would be unruly. I carried a 50" RZR in the bed of my 1/2 ton Silverado for two years, being towed by me DP. The 1/2 ton did find, I added air bags for stability.
I want to haul a 4 place UTV so I can take friends and family, and the model I want is too wide to fit in the box of a pickup so then you have to have a deck on the truck to carry it which will sit about 3-4 inches above the top of the box, which makes the center of gravity very high. I have a few friends that haul their UTV this way in 1 tons with air bags and they still complain about how top heavy their trucks feel, thus being unwieldly to drive as a daily driver unless you unload it before doing errands all the time.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird69 View Post
Option 3 - Also thought through this option but, not a fan of having a UTV inside the living quarters like in a Toy hauler.
My garage is separate from my living quarters.

We do the exact type of traveling you discuss.

We head to the middle of nowhere and stay roughly a week. I have gone places we used 4 low to get into. We ride and explore the area after I get off work. We typically put about 75 miles day on the SxS. Typically after a week we have put 400-600 miles on in an area and we have explored most of it.

Then it is trip to "town" to dump/fill/food and head to another location.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Already thought through this option, I would not be able to live long term in a truck camper and a duallys are terrible off road.
I understand your concern about living space. I did several western trips and a 3 month trip to Alaska in 2005 in my Chevy 2500 4x4 pickup pulling a box trailer. I could unload my camper in 10 minutes and reinstalll in 15 so did it frenquentlly. Spent almost every night in the camper but it was only me and my lab. My wife doesn't like camping as much as me so she flew out west and to Alaska to spend a couple of weeks with me.

If I had a UTV in a bigger dual axle trailer, that would have neem awesome. This was my rig after hunting birds in Alaska the month of September and deciding it was time to get out of there.
Click image for larger version

Name:	150_5094.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	544.7 KB
ID:	327761
Old 05-09-2021, 01:22 PM   #12

Snowbird, in your post #6 you mention "Off Road Maneuverability"
I doubt that most class C motorhomes are considered

"Off Road Maneuverable. (Class B MB Sprinter 4x4 would fit this term).

Also, It seems that you really are leaning toward a SxS 4 seat, until you make mention about canvas top being a pain and not user friendly.
Once you make your decision on what your trail vehicle will be, maybe then the forum can help explore the living/tow vehicle options.

Tim
Old 05-09-2021, 06:10 PM   #13

Quote:

Option #1
25+/- ft Class C Motorhome towing a 4x4 SUV (Jeep/4Runner)
Pros: Simpler combination with 2 pieces of equipment instead of 3 like in option 2.
Cons: Can't get as far into the back country with the Jeep/4Runner as the UTV. Can I get to the same private base camps spots as in option 2?
If it were me, I'd choose #1. I think you'd be surprised at where the Jeep could go and what they can do. It's such an easier set-up and good for bad weather.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #14

im don't, think anything is going to make you happy! with all your limitations your just about limited to a horse and a pack mule. or what i would have would be a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 with a small toy hauler and put the atv in the garage. i know you don't want to, but.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome, trailer, travel, travel trailer