Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2021, 08:39 PM   #1

Whirlpool Microwave/Convection - Repair or Replacement suggestions

What is everyone's favored microwave/convection combo unit these days?

Our fifth wheel has a Whirlpool microwave/convection oven combo, model YWMF76718AS-2. Towards the end of Thanksgiving cooking, it stopped working. Trying to start it would bring up the 'open and close the door' message. Opening and closing the door did not help any.

So I did a little research and replaced the lower door sensor this evening. That cleared the error. Now, however, once I press start, the light comes on inside, it goes to start for 1s and then stops. No errors. I'm not sure if I screwed something up taking it apart and putting it back together or if it had multiple problems. I did take pictures of the wiring connections and what not and have verified I have everything connected back as it was. I've disconnected and reconnected all the connections as well, no luck.

Anyone have any ideas what else I can test and/or replace?

Or failing that, what are folks' favorite microwave/convection oven models these days? I just started looking at some new ones, and so far my only thought is I don't need to scan the food box's barcode and have my phone set the microwave on my behalf. Most things, in my opinion, just don't need internet connectivity.

Thanks,
Joe
Motorcycle Trailer - 2014 Aluma MC10, 2000 GVWR
immortl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I went down this road last summer. Mine is a Whirlpool YWMH76719CS0. I couldn't find anything with the number you gave.

I replaced the three door switches as they are cheap and had no luck. Called a local appliance repair place but they wouldn't work on ones in a motorhome. They said they were sure it was a control board issue, $200 and 3 month wait. That was a non-starter. I started shopping. Wife was NOT willing to wait as we use the convection microwave all the time.

I went to https://www.applianceblog.com/ and posted my problem. One gentleman said it was possible a control board but there had been a change in door switches. And ~$30 was better than a new board or oven.

Anyway he told me to try W11244490 door switch. It is the top and bottom one (?) with a jumper wire between them. Worked.
I sent Whirlpool an e-mail asking what was a direct replacement and they sent me back a list of five or so. My big concern was the vent placement.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Might also check this, https://www.applianceblog.com/mainfo...tch-pdf.54672/
Old 11-30-2021, 06:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Convection/Micro Recommendation

It sounds like you are on the right track for repairs. The machines are relatively simple, and so long as the parts don't drive you to the poorhouse, repair is a great idea.

That said - for a recommendation - GE Advantium. Enough said. The one in our current rig is simply amazing. I'm not sure what GE does specifically, bu I would not want to go back. The oven is easy to use and the controls understandable/logical, it heats super fast, and bakes perfectly.

Just my .02 if it comes to full replacement.

John
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:56 PM   #4

whoops

I was off on the model number, it is YWMH76718AS-2. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I ordered up that jumpered kit and also posted over on the appliance repair blog/forum.

Also took a look at the GE Advantium units. I like the one that also does some toasting, that would be beneficial. The 'no clock' display though would be a bummer for the wife though. She is already missing the clock on our broken unit while I have it in pieces.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 12-01-2021, 06:55 AM   #5

Thanks for the help folks. The folks over at Appliance Blog were pretty certain I needed the electronic control board behind the button panel. It is $96 and while the parts sites don't have it in stock, they confirmed it is available from Whirlpool and I ought to get it in 2-3 weeks. We'll see how it goes.

That said, we also found what appears to be a decent Kitchenaide in stock at Costco and have one of those ordered up too. Been using the propane oven to warm up left overs, but we miss the microwave. If I end up with 2 functional units we'll return or sell whichever one we like least. I did seek out the GE Advantium, but like a lot of things these days, they're hard to come by and while it seems silly, I think the lack of a clock on the display would be a bummer for the wife, even if I put a clock up on the wall in the kitchen.

Thanks,
Joe

Tags
ace, air, microwave, repair, replace, replacement