Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2021, 03:50 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
White "Food Grade" Water Hose

Do you only use those "White Food Grade" water hoses? I've been drinking out of the yard hose since I was probably 3 and I ain't dead yet and I'm 6'3" so it didn't stunt my growth. Does it really make any difference if you just use any old hose as long as you periodically clean the system with the bleach or peroxide treatment?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Regular hoses can taint the flavor of the water when they are out in the sun. "Drinking water" rated hoses don't do that. If you have a filter system it may not be a factor. Blue or White hoses help keep you from confusing it with the Black tank flush hose also. I buy based on flexibility more than color.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When we were kids, many of us drank out of the garden hose.....but.....I always ran the hose for a few minutes to get nice cool water.

With an RV, if you don't get a drinking water hose, you'll get smelly, bad tasting water when it sits in the sun while waiting to be used, unless you're willing to let it run until fresh water appears.

A great hose that many are now using is the Zero G water hose. There is a drinking water version and non potable version They're available at Lowes and on Amazon in 25' and 50' lengths.

https://www.amazon.com/zero-G-4001-5...s%2C237&sr=8-8
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
Regular hoses can taint the flavor of the water when they are out in the sun. "Drinking water" rated hoses don't do that. If you have a filter system it may not be a factor. Blue or White hoses help keep you from confusing it with the Black tank flush hose also. I buy based on flexibility more than color.
Are you saying that it's the color that prevents the sun from causing the foul taste or is the material in these hoses different from other hoses?
Old 02-27-2021, 04:03 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
The liner in the rated hoses is different material. The color is just for easy identification.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:00 PM   #6

We replace our white hose each year when we break out the RV in the Spring. I paint the ends of the old hose and either use it at the house or on the workboats. That way I don't need to be concerned about the hose sitting dormant all Winter. Overkill ? Maybe, but cheap insurance.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:34 PM   #7

I found a stainless steel food grade hose that is much easier to deal with than the white ones, rolls up much tighter and weighs less.
GOLDandGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:24 PM   #8

Zero G hoses are drinking water rated. Light and seem durable. I think they carry a 3 yr warranty.
My only complaint is alum fittings. I use Teflon tape and brass quick connects on all hoses, nozzles, connections.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:31 PM   #9

I used to think and drink out of a garden hose. But now with all the new chemicals, who knows what is in the plastics now. More flexible, UV protectants or ?? Now I will use a white hose, food or drinking water grade.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:06 PM   #10

We run off fresh water tank/pump
Hose is only for refilling and then gets drained/stowed

So hose doesn't much matter

If using City Water connection and hose stays connected as least use one that is for 'potable' water vs standard garden hose
Laying outside all day/night can affect the water flowing thru it
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:18 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Those white hoses have a mind of their own when cold. I've seen my bride laying in top of one, on top of the camp table, wrestling like a lion taking down a food source, just to roll it up enough to get in the basement of the rig.
To help out my bride, I bought her a pretty blue zero hose that coils up like magic. Anything I can do to help her with her chores around the camp site.

One thing I started doing is, at the end of the year, I blow out the hose with compressed air to avoid mold and other stuff.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:59 AM   #12

I went to zero g hose. They can be a pain in that they will kink coming out of water connection but other than that they are great for storage and low weight. I only wish I could find one that is 10 feet long. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 02-28-2021, 07:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper2020 View Post
I went to zero g hose. They can be a pain in that they will kink coming out of water connection but other than that they are great for storage and low weight. I only wish I could find one that is 10 feet long. Safe travels
Enjoy the journey

Flexzilla hoses are great too, and they do come in 10 foot lengths. I carry three 10 footers and combine as needed. And as the name suggests they stay supple regardless of temperature.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:29 AM   #14

I used to drink out of garden hoses too, and I could taste it. While it's true that I lived through the experience I don't want to taste it in my coffee

We use a couple of white hoses -- we've got the 50' one on now, and it was barely long enough.

I drain them as much as I reasonably can, roll them up, then screen the ends together for storage. They are a pain in the rear to roll up when cold.

The zero g is much easier to deal with, but I'd read here that they don't hold up well, If they do have a 3-year warranty, though, I may give one a try next time.

Tags
food, hose, water