Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #29

YCI Well all fuse light with test light and I blocked switch on dash and put loose wire on hot small post nothing for now, I also got more light and loose wire is not black it is dark blue or purple as other said maybe it was thanks all slowdown
slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdown View Post
YCI Well all fuse light with test light and I blocked switch on dash and put loose wire on hot small post nothing for now, I also got more light and loose wire is not black it is dark blue or purple as other said maybe it was thanks all slowdown

Measure the voltage on that blue or purple wire with shore power on then off. If that is the battery connection relay you will have a wire going to the chassis side and with shore on it will be hot. And shore off it will be dead. But does the relay works like it supposed too as it is wired now.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #31

Johndale No v on purple wire off shore power, on shore power v was 1.8, there is no other wire on chassis side, I may not be checking relay right and it all was working before I changer solenoid
Old 11-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #32
YC1

You stated it was working before you changed it. Why did you change it?

I believe you may have popped a fuse or have additional problems on the violet wire circuit.

Carefully disconnect either of the small terminal wires. Preferrably the one with 0 volts on it. The other having 12 volts based on your measurement.

When you take the wire off listen for the solenoid making a clunk. If it does it is functioning and you will confirm several of your measurements. Don't be surprised if you see a small spark. You might even get a tiny static type zap. Not dangerous but it could surprise you. This is normal when a solenoid energizes.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #33

YCI I left key on and I tried dash switch and no start so I jumped the posts and it started, I did check all fuses under driver seat with light and all did light, got more light in box and that wire is not black it is dark blue or purple, purple wire on shore power has 1.8 v, off 0. When I turned the cut offs tonight I heard it clunk. Just removed post wire no v and it clunk, also while I was at it I rechecked purple wire switch on dash blocked open and got a reading that never got before .62
Old 11-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #34
YC1

" I left key on and I tried dash switch and no start so I jumped the posts and it started"

Do you mean you jumped the big terminals?

Once again, why did you change the solenoid?

Old 11-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
YCI I left key on and I tried dash switch and no start so I jumped the posts and it started, I did check all fuses under driver seat with light and all did light, got more light in box and that wire is not black it is dark blue or purple, purple wire on shore power has 1.8 v, off 0. When I turned the cut offs tonight I heard it clunk. Just removed post wire no v and it clunk, also while I was at it I rechecked purple wire switch on dash blocked open and got a reading that never got before .62

What relay is this? Is it the chassis to house batteries or start relay. This is important to know.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
" I left key on and I tried dash switch and no start so I jumped the posts and it started"

Do you mean you jumped the big terminals?

Once again, why did you change the solenoid?
When the switch on dash would not lock batteries banks together a repair man told me to replace solenoid. So I knew no better and changed it.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
What relay is this? Is it the chassis to house batteries or start relay. This is important to know.
Yes to chassis to house batteries I had to jump the 2 big posts cause the switch on dash would not lock banks together, and a rv repairman said the solenoid was bad
Old 11-30-2015, 09:37 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
When it comes to wires I am not good, but the unthinkable happened when I rewired a new solenoid one of the 3 small wires did not get back in place and I found it hanging.
That one wire looks to be black and can only go to little or big post.
This is a hr endeavor 1998 pusher.
Have read a lot of posts but never joined , been camping for years but as time go by more things happen.
Thanks in advance slowdown
Take a photo of your solenoid, go to a dealer service department. Show them the picture, they should be able to tell you where to connect your mystery wire. Or, find a rig like yours and look at the solenoid. Problem solved.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:19 PM   #39

You jumped posts together then the starter worked by key or it started as soon as you jumped them?

If it cranks as soon as you jump it is different than battery boost.

If batteries are good it should not need to be jumped.

You stated when you lifted something it went clunk...What wire was that?

If you lift a wire and it chunks then chunks again when wire touched back the selenoid is being activated by something.

That mystery wire may be something powered by the battery via the selenoid.

If this is battery boost then it should only be needed when engine battery not good.

You can test old selenoid by applying 12 volts to small posts and listening for the clunk then checking continuity across large posts just to be sure you were told correctly.

Maybe we need to read all posts again to see if we missed anything...
Old 12-01-2015, 06:06 AM   #40

loose wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryCoachRV View Post
Take a photo of your solenoid, go to a dealer service department. Show them the picture, they should be able to tell you where to connect your mystery wire. Or, find a rig like yours and look at the solenoid. Problem solved.
CntryCoach Better than picture,
coach is going to shop first of week enjoy your good sunshine , in Il. it not so good slowdown
Old 12-01-2015, 06:34 AM   #41

Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
You jumped posts together then the starter worked by key or it started as soon as you jumped them?

If it cranks as soon as you jump it is different than battery boost.

If batteries are good it should not need to be jumped.

You stated when you lifted something it went clunk...What wire was that?

If you lift a wire and it chunks then chunks again when wire touched back the selenoid is being activated by something.

That mystery wire may be something powered by the battery via the selenoid.

If this is battery boost then it should only be needed when engine battery not good.

You can test old selenoid by applying 12 volts to small posts and listening for the clunk then checking continuity across large posts just to be sure you were told correctly.

Maybe we need to read all posts again to see if we missed anything...
I did use the key, batteries are good but I left key on and battery run down, the one small wire with no volts I removed to see if anything would happen and it went clunk.
Old solenoid not here anymore it went with trash.
This all started when battery boost would not boost and maybe I did not check more things out. Thanks from slowdown
Old 12-01-2015, 06:41 AM   #42
YC1

Ok, I believe you have enough information now. It is time to chase down the violet wire/purple/ which is the aux start control wire. Information such as running down the batteries and jumping the posts and having had a tech tell you to replace the solenoid is helpful.

Can you now take some pictures of your fuse panels. I would like to see what is up front below the driver.

As strange as this sounds, is your power switch on that controls your inside lights? Probably near the entry area. It is often called the salesman switch. IF that is off or your interior lights are not working it could effect the path of the voltage for the Aux start button. Recheck the violet wire if that switch is off.

If you have any other issues please share those because they may be important clues.

Tags
solenoid