Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #1

Who Does Most of the Driving?

I see lots of couples in motorhomes these days, but rarely do I see the woman driving. Maybe my observations are an anomaly, so I'm curious: How much of the driving is done by your wife/girlfriend? In my case, the wife likes to drive so we generally split the driving 50/50 (or at least 60/40, with me being the 60). And, yes, for the sake of this discussion, I'm assuming the "wife" is a woman, and, yes, I'm assuming most of the posters in this forum are men.

2018 Renegade Custom Classic
aktraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
After 10 minutes of pleading I got my DW to pull the Class C forward about 2 or 3 feet while I was placing the leveling blocks, she has never sat in the drivers seat of the Class A.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
DW has never sat behind the wheel of the MH, son and daughter have.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:04 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I'm making progress with mine. I got her to sit in the seat and do the light checks after I get the toad hooked.
I figure another 10 years I'll get her to pull it forward two feet. Or not.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:08 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I am female, and I am the primary poster here. I drive about half of the time. I am always the one who backs into spots since I follow my husband’s directions a lot better than he follows mine!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:19 PM   #6

first MH (1985 26' chieftain, 1986-2000) my wife drove about 40% of the time. she basically had two speed settings...warp 9 and reverse. she drove the second MH (2000 35' suncruiser, 2000-2015) around an empty parking lot...once...and declared it too big.

these days her mobility is a bit limited. the next-to-last thing we perform before we break camp is what we call a 'light check'. she sits in the MH drivers seat (2016 39' suncruiser) while i stand behind the toad calling on the 2-way for brakes, turn signals, etc. the last item on the 'light check' checklist is to pull the MH forward a few feet to be certain the toad's wheels are freely turning. that's the full extent of her imvolvement with driving. we're both ok with that and it's not a problem since our actual daily driving day is limited to 200-250 miles. the only worry i have is the day when something happens to me. but that's why God invented cell phones.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
I am female, and I am the primary poster here. I drive about half of the time. I am always the one who backs into spots since I follow my husband’s directions a lot better than he follows mine!

LOL!!!

I drive the motorhome 100% of the time.

My wife drives the toad when we get where we are going 100% of the time.

She has the worst part of the deal. Think Los Angeles, Boston, Miami, Dallas, Houston, SLC, etc.

She can drive it in an emergency but prefers not to.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:07 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
I am always the one who backs into spots since I follow my husband’s directions a lot better than he follows mine!
That's how it works for us. I'm terrible at guiding the coach if he's trying to get into a site, but I can follow DH's directions very well.

I drive about 30% of the time. Mostly when DH is tired of driving.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:27 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I drive 99% of the time. DH drives approximately 100 miles a year so we know he can.

When DH & I met, I was a widow who came with a 35' DP which I was the sole driver. My new husband had never been inside an RV. He thought it was a great way to vacation since he couldn't hook-up the toad, drive, do electric/water, or dump tanks. He now does the outside duties and is a GREAT guide for backing/parking.

I always encourage all women to get comfortable with driving. You never know what life will hand you. Cell coverage is not always there so you can call for a rescue. Hardest part is for the driver to not intimidate the beginning driver.

I also post here more than DH.

Female, 66 years old, 40' DP w/toad.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #10

We alternated drivers every time we moved. On our Alaskan trip we took turns daily so the other could enjoy the scenery.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:35 PM   #11

I do about 90-95%. Wife would do more but she gets sleepy driving the coach for some reason. Plus she only does interstates.

Tom
Old 06-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #12

I do all the towing of Our Jayco TT, as hubby is legally blind and getting worse.
crdaylily618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:28 AM   #13

I'm the female poster on here. I do not drive the coach. It intimidates the heck out of me. I did the Lazy Days driver course to no avail. Honestly, if it ever comes that I have to drive...I quit. Fortunately, DH likes to drive it and doesn't want me to. God forbid we ever have an emergency where I'll need to drive. I guess I'll call someone.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:48 AM   #14

Driving our big motorhome is a high-responsibility job which requires someone who understands exactly what happens whenever a front tire suddenly fails at high speed, and therefore, the driver must be one who will instantly execute the correct and safe procedures. I'm the only one who has ever driven it, and will continue to drive it until we sell it. My wife chooses not to drive it. She's a pilot(aircraft).
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote