Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

True enough. We've observed in many parts of the country, however, that it has become standard practice for five or six cars to routinely continue through intersections well after the light has changed to RED. I for one would like to see more respect for our traffic laws and concern for the lives of others.

Thanks,

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #30

I left my house last year in the Beav to go south for the winter. I got to the end of our street which has a 3-way stop (t-intersection) at the bottom of a hill. I slowed down but didn't come to a complete stop. Got pulled over by an RCMP officer. Now, this is a stop sign that pretty much EVERYONE runs and I always stop at when in my truck but I was going a bit too fast in the motorhome. And the police NEVER sit there.

Anyway, I pleaded innocence and asked him to pleeese not give me a ticket on the first day of my holiday so he just wrote up a warning.

I went on my merry way but I heard later that he nailed my next-door-neighbour about 15 minutes later.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I went on my merry way but I heard later that he nailed my next-door-neighbour about 15 minutes later.
If you didn't beg for mercy your neighbour would have driven past you while the officer was writing your ticket. Maybe you should split the ticket with your neighbour lol.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I for one would like to see more respect for our traffic laws and concern for the lives of others
I couldn't agree more! See it every day! Total disregard of Red Lights, Stop Signs, Yield Signs and people who do not know what the word means or know how to do it! Tailgaters, HapHazard use of Cell phones you name it it's out there!
But what really amazes me is that the local PD never sits incognito at these so called infamous locations and do anything about it,,, But,,,But they can spend endless hours running Speed Enforcement Traps! Easy Money?, more Money generated from a speeder than a red light?
Hey I'm not beating up on the PD which in some cases I could but let's face it,,, In the name of Public Safety in todays economy it's all about Money!
Back to my FIL's story,,, it was all about common sense on their part and they had none!

Regards,
RovinOn
05 Southwind 37C
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
If the cameras were set to catch cars that enter intersections after the light turns red before they enter, I might have less venom for the cameras. Truth is that there are not enough drivers that actually run reds to generate enough revenue to justify installing cameras.
My biggest pet peeve are the drivers who speed in campgrounds but I don't want cameras there either. Speed bumps would be ok in fact if I could cary a speed bump in our rig I would.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #34

I got stopped in Baltimore with the MH & Toad. I had not seen a sign saying no propane in the tunnelm because I was passing him at the time. Strange thing was they had a rate for my setup and after paying I got pulled over about 50' down the road. The LEO was not too swift. He got my DL# wrong, put me in MN, instead of MI. and misspelled my name. I never responded to that ticket and they haven't come to haul me away yet. That was 7 years ago.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
FWIW: Florida Statute 316.075 Traffic Control Signal
Vehicular traffic facing a steady yellow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter when vehicular traffic shall not enter the intersection.

Steady red indication.—
Vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection and shall remain standing until a green indication is shown;

I think this is consistent in most states. The requirement is you cannot enter the intersection, not that you must be clear of the intersection, before the light goes red.
So if the driver's seat is in the intersection, the 36 foot of motorhome and 22 feet of towbar and toad are home free..."Your Honor- hear me out don't look at that photo".......

On the other hand, the only motorcycle accident I've had was when I stopped for a red light and the pickup truck behind me decided to run it. Slap shot me, my Grandson and the cycle across the intersection.. (All survived with minimal damage)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
In 37 years of RVing and traveling in 41 states including Alaska," I have never been pulled over by the police while towing the RV".
I was taught to ask questions just for an answer that had no concrete answer. As the lawyer says" that means yes without the trailer".
All in fun Hitchhiker. No offense intended.
I have received 3 warnings from my "fellow" officers. One in Florida, Iowa & N.Car. All in private vehicles- never in the Rv. Speed limit or lower. No reason to hurry now.
Safe Travels...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #37

We were stopped by a sheriff deputy in MT 5 years ago, but for drive-off without paying for fuel. I showed him my receipt (always get a receipt) and he radioed the dispatcher than my receipt matched the time/day. Wished us safe travels and drove away. That was the only time we have ever been stopped for anything.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
This promotes drivers to floor it or slam on the brakes when they see a yellow light in fear of the camera ( creates a whole new dangerous situation).
As a matter of fact one of the Denver TV stations did a little research with the Police Dept and they've found out there have been more accidents at the Red Light camera intersections then there were before they installed them. Mostly rear enders, because people are slamming on the brakes the second the light changes to yellow.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
As a matter of fact one of the Denver TV stations did a little research with the Police Dept and they've found out there have been more accidents at the Red Light camera intersections then there were before they installed them. Mostly rear enders, because people are slamming on the brakes the second the light changes to yellow.
Wouldn't this imply that tailgating was the cause of the accident?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #40

I'm thinking that some on this thread are being overly general as they speak unkindly about the constabulary in general. Police officers are NOT employed to generate revenue for their political subdivision. Further, it doesn't matter how many citations I write, or drunk drivers or wifebeaters I take to jail. The paycheck I receive every two weeks is not dependent on a quota or my traffic contacts. And the fines associated with the citations I write are penalties assessed for violating the law, not to make money. Though there are some bad apples, I admit, the overwhelming majority of police officers operate legally and ethically, and do the best they can with what they are provided.

If one has a problem with officers employing "speed traps", think hard about why they are there. They are at that location enforcing the speed law because there has been a documented problem of violating the speed limit in that area. If you think that an officer needs to watch a particular intersection or schhol zone, or whatever location, talk with the local chief/Sheriff and express your concerns. Crying about it on here serves no function.

If you may not have noticed, I am a cop. My father was a state trooper, by brother and BIL are both troopers. For my entire life I have heard people whine and complain that they received a citation for this or that when they should have received a warning.

My point: Assume some personal responsibility, and own up to the consequences of your mistakes. Doing so with the officer that stops you will get you much further than trying to argue or berate.

Soap box is officially stowed for the time being.
wa0elm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:21 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
If you may not have noticed, I am a cop
Quote:
Police officers are NOT employed to generate revenue
The discussion of revenue was related to cameras not cops.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Really? I thought yellow meant that one was to stop if they could do so safely. So... under some circumstances I agree it's legal but not always.

As for the cameras being a revenue generator I'm sure that's true but I'd rather see revenue generated from violators who make our streets dangerous than on the backs of all of us... just my opinion.

Rick
I have been told by LEO here in Alaska that if you cross the line into the intersection on yellow, you are good to go. No qualifiers on how long you are in, etc.

And it could be argued, correctly in my opinion, if people are blowing through a redlight they are some of the ones making the streets dangerous. It's never a good excuse to say "I could not stop safely" you will just be confirming to them you were driving too fast for conditions. They will get you if they want you.
AlaskanRV is offline   Reply With Quote