Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Who has had a ticket while RVing?

just curious
who has received a ticket while operating an RV?
was it in your home state or just a tourist revenue enhancement stop?
now the good stuff what did you do?
brianj
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We always thought it rare for RVs to be pulled over unless you did something blatant.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No ticket, but a couple of years ago I got pulled over by a sheriff who wanted to know what kind of trailer I had and where he could buy one

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #4

No tickets here in 55K+ miles of traveling in a lot of different states. Maybe we're lucky?
Old 09-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Great question! 30,000 miles, 32 states and never got a second look from LEO... then again, I don't drive like I used to.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
In 37 years of RVing and traveling in 41 states including Alaska, I have never been pulled over by the police while towing the RV.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Unhappy

Got a ticket on I95 in North Carolina for failure to slow for traffic after we rear-ended another vehicle. The fact that I had no brakes didn't seem to matter.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
OK, I'll be the first to admit I got one (well second, now that Gary has 'fessed up). I was leaving a BJ's and was concentrating on a traffic light a few hundred feet ahead of me. Got to the light, turned right and went down the road, only to see blue lights flashing behind me!

It turns out I had blown right through a stop sign located 70 ft before the light! I could not believe I had done it, had to go back to the intersection to see for myself that there was a stop sign. Went to court and was able to get it reduced to an equipment violation.

This was out-of-town, but in my home state and my belief the stop sign was placed there was a revenue enhancer (or just plain bad road design), it was too close to the traffic light.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't run the RV that fast. I have seen the DPS pull over a big motorhome that flew by me...so they will get you.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
No ticket, but a couple of years ago I got pulled over by a sheriff who wanted to know what kind of trailer I had and where he could buy one

Same here,got stopped by Indiana sheriff who wanted to see my rig and where Damon's were built.
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #11

We had a state trooper pull up behind us while parked in the only shady spot in a small town in CA. Walked up in classic pose with hand on gun, turns out we were parked too close to the intersection. "I almost ran into you" sez he. I refrained from asking why he didn't watch where he was going. By the time he left he was shaking his head and laughing.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
100,000 miles plus of RV travel and no tickets.

I posted a humorous article in the RV Humor section a few years ago with my belief that the fiberglass sides of an RV gave us stealth like qualities that were invisible to radar!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got pulled over by Texas State Trooper....

I have a 95 S10 Blazer I pull behind the RV, it's not gonna be for long because we're almost saved up for the new Equinox so I didn't want to go to indetail with the marker lights on the Blazer, so I just use the magnetic lights from Harbor Freight, $25 and I'm legal... well, the magnet didn't hold to well in pouring down rain, plus me doing 60mph, plus a head wind of over 25mph... so they fell from the top and were hanging by the wires so the "amber" color was showing rear, not "red"... to me it was no big deal and I wasn't stopping again (3rd time) to put them back up, so instead I let the tropper step insided MY office to finish writing me my "fix it" ticket.

Before exiting, he was nice enough to say that the remodeling looked really good for the year of the MH, so I was happy!
ChrisNiemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #14

I was pulling a TT through NY state in a caravan with three brother. The "lead" brother made a wrong "exit" from a Round-A-Bout and the rest of us just followed along and were having a great time. The the Blue light came up and he waved all four rigs over. Told us about an eleven foot bridge clearance up ahead, we had missed the sign . He stopped traffic so we could all get turned around and headed the right way.

Brothers said that was nice of him to stop us, I said he just didn't want to do all that paper work reporting that a bunch of redneck RVers tried to get 12.5 feet of RV under an 11 foot bridge and didn't make it.

About two weeks ago in Whitehorse, YT, I was leaving a restaurant lot that happened to be part of an intersection with traffic lights. Just plain did not see the lights, just looked both ways and proceeded straight across the intersection. Co Pilot said "You just ran through a big RED light!" And the sheriff was entering the street just ahead of me, coming my way! He just didn't see me run the light, I guess! Lucky me!

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote