Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Who has the worst driveway?

My home driveway is a blind, downhill S-turn barely wide enough for the MH (but it is paved!). When I get to the bottom by the garage, I have a limited section where I can do a series of K-turns (with two big oak trees to complicate things) to turn around and back into a gravel pad.

Anyone else face similar problems getting their MH or trailer home?
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My lane is after the crest in a hill on a chipped road. The dirveway is gravel and just wide enough to turn the MH onto. Its a half mile long and right now with the thaw it looks like someone has bombed it. At the house I have to move all of the cars into the grass and there is enough room to drive in and back up making small turms each time for a total of about 10 times to get it turned around then back it onto the gravel pad next to the house. If I am towing the trailer behind the motorhome I have to unhook it in the lane and go back to get it with the truck. I can back that into the barn in the middle of the lane to turn around and then back it the rest of the way down to the house.

Each year I say I am going to make a bette turn around but it would take up so much of the yard I never do. Although if its been dry enough I will back into the grass and make the turn around much easier.

Mat
Old 03-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #3

Worst driveway.

I had a similar problem. I have a steep U shaped drive. I finally made up my mind to learn how to back down. Now it just requires backing down, a small adjustment to get closer to the house. Getting out is easy now. Just drive out up the hill.
GBinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
We loose the worst Driveway contest. Our place is perfect.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Our House.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	3337  
Old 03-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Since pictures speak louder than words...

Notice all the trees that move to position themselves right in your blind spot. Also forgot to mention that toad has to be hooked and unhooked in cul de sac.

RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
My guess would be this guy....

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #7

I vote for my brothers drive way in New Hampshire. When I pulled in at night I did $500 in damage to everything on the MH roof from the branches hanging high from the trees. In my opinion its a great driveway if you don't damage anything while using it. JMO
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is not great but NOTHING like what some of you have! Guess I am out of the running, bummer! :( LOL!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
csp

Monaco Owners Club
I have a decent driveway but I have a slight problem with the entrance. I decided last spring to put in a nice big brick entry way with lights, mailbox, and address stones in it. I then decided in the fall to buy a 40 foot motor coach and tow an 18 foot trailer with a Jeep on it. The problem is there is no way possible to get the coach and the trailer turned off of the road into my driveway. What does not make sense is if I hit it just right I can get it out of the driveway with no problems. The pond that is 3 feet from the driveway kind of puts a damper on a wide swinging turn into the driveway. I thought about taking lessons from the movie RV and just push it out of the way but I have to much money in both the coach and the entryway. I guess I will keep practicing and hopefully I will get brave enough to get closer to the pond and maybe I will be able to make it.
Chris
Old 03-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #10

I don't know if it's the worst, but it is a pain. It's 350' long, 7% grade with the only (almost) level spot to park being next to the garage. I have to back 1/8th of a mile down our dead end street, back in and up that way because the driveway angle is such that I can't drive past it and back in. The toad is usually connected in the parking lot of the local grocery store because the angle of our road (nevermind the driveway) causes the hitch to drag as we pull out onto the "main" (also narrow back road) if it is in the receiver.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 40' MH and a 40' drive way. One side of the drive has a 3' drop off and the other side touches the house hang over. I have to put the MH in between these two areas. I lost it once and droped the left rear wheels off of the drop off. That cost me.
Bill O.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #12

I had to sell my driveway. When the rig was parked there was only 2 feet between it and the garage door, 5 feet between it and the curb, and barely enough room on the side to get the car past and into the garage. The 2 bay garage was not usable as such. The slope was too great for running the reefer. And between the driveway slope and the high-crowned roadway the rig could only be brought in nose first at the severest turning approach and then crabbed into position. Good luck!!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:12 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
My drive way is too steep and the road is not wide enough to park the motorhome at the house. Therefore, I keep it at the dealership.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dang!!! and I thought I had it bad with the small dogleg turn in my drive! I would have to give up RVing or move if I had to negotiate some of the above situations in order to park our rig.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote