Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
So a "fake" 30 amp cable? I LIKE it!
I kept s 30A extension cord when I sold a prior MH I use it at home w a doggone to reach the garage outlet.
I think if I had an issue a park I'd tell them rig is 30A connect my 30A cord to permanent cord w doggone INSIDE elec Bay and only thing outside is 30A cord.
Actually IMO connecting 50A MH to a 30A pedestal is safer than a 30A MH to a 50A pedestal.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #44

I have only run into this issue at one campground, and ironically it was also an older KOA. They had a few sites that had the traditional 50-30-20 amp power panel, but the majority were the smaller 30-20 panels. In the list of rules they gave you @ check in there was a rule stating that 50 to 30 "dogbones" were not allowed because they were a potential fire hazard. But they; [1] didn't ask you what your rig needed, and [2] never actually checked your hook up. As it was in April, and not yet "AC required" weather in Pennsylvania, I took the 30 amp site and used my 50/30 amp dogbone. I used gas, rather than electric, to supply hot water, and had no need for AC. I think this may just be a C.Y.A. thing for the campground.
retiredpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:51 PM   #45

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
I have once...this was not so much a park or campground but more of an oilfield RV parking lot in Big Spring, TX if you know the type of park I’m talking about.

I was only paying for a $300/mo 30 amp spot and that meant, explicitly, no dogbones. No where else has done this but their prices are typically so high ($500 to $700) a bit of extra electricity doesn’t matter much so they don’t even bother asking.
What was the name of the place you are talking in Big Spring? We live in Big Spring.

Jerry
Old 04-30-2020, 05:54 PM   #46

Never was told not to use one. We are 30 amps, sometimes when we are connected to shore power running Only the AC I’ll trip the 30 amp breaker at the park. If this happens 3 times I will dog bone up to a 50/30 conversion and it doesn’t seem to trip anymore !
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpoint View Post
Hi,
How many times have you run into a campground that won't allow you to use a dogbone to connect your rig to their service?
I only stay in campgrounds that has 50A service. So no issues

Zzotte
Old 04-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #48

it has never been an issue for us
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:38 PM   #49

I have a 30 amp rig and always use a 30-30 dog bone. I figure the pedestal outlet is the most likely place to have a bad connection. I'd rather replace the dog bone than repair or replace my cord if I get arcing in the outlet.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:34 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpoint View Post
Hi,
How many times have you run into a campground that won't allow you to use a dogbone to connect your rig to their service?
Not once, not ever.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
What was the name of the place you are talking in Big Spring? We live in Big Spring.

Jerry

That was a while ago...it was the one just down the street from the high school.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #52

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My rig has a 50A cord yet we've never had an issue running EVERYTHING on a 30A circuit (2 A/C's, refrig & coffee pot). The battery charger is usually off the bulk charge point pretty quickly as the coach batteries are charging during travel. I've done the 30A cord trick w/ the adapter in the electrical bay also.

What I've seen for "dog bones" are the "y" style adapters to get two 30A feeds to a 50A plug. I have the old box style and have used it also as I do prefer to hook up to 50A when available.
tgproios is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog