Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2021, 06:12 AM   #1

Who’s the Oldest Still Rving?

I am a newbie and will be putting down a deposit today, 1/15/21, on a 2021 Rockwood Mini Lite 2205S. At my age, 74, this is a BIG deal/decision. Not only do I have to buy a trailer, but I also have to buy a truck to tow it with.

This is not only a lifestyle change, but $60,000+ for trailer and truck is a big financial consideration for me also. Add to that, this is probably the worst time to be getting into Rving with high prices, short supplies, and limited campgrounds, but waiting for a year or more when things might be better, will greatly reduce the time that I may have to enjoy it.

Which brings me back to my question—who’s the oldest still Rving? None of knows how long we have, and we are all different, but I was wondering how many good years that I might have left to enjoy Rving. So, I thought that I would ask about older people still doing it just to give me an estimate.

I am not being morbid. In fact, it is the opposite. I want to get out and start enjoying life more.

Thanks
Texsinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2021, 06:30 AM   #2

Texsinbad, ah you are a youngster. I have friends who are in their mid 80's and still ON THE ROAD, with no intention of staying home. Once was parked next to a couple in a cg in IL. She was 94, he was 92, still in excellent health, again with no intention of going home. They said they drive 50 miles a day, period. I think it is a mind game. If your health will allow it go for it.
I will be 77 in June, my Sweetheart just turned 70 and we are going to buy a truck camper later in the spring or summer and hit the road. We are so excited to be doing this .We plan to stay ON THE ROAD as long as our health will allow. And due to my vision loss, the Sweetheart does all the driving.
YES, GO FOR IT, you won't regret it. GO, GO, GO!!!.:
We love the sound of ON THE ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:32 AM   #3

Rather than buy, why not rent an RV? I'm 76 and wife is 74 been RVing since the 60's and still at it. We've owned cl A, C, 5'er, TC, and currently have a TT.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #4

There was a forum poll post asking the age of the forum members. I was impressed by the Sr. age of most. I seem to remember 65-70 was the average.

And remember, that's people that took the time to add their response to a poll on this forum. Not necessarily the average age of RV'rs.

EDIT: Quick search found it
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/poll...ay-500169.html
Old 01-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm eighty and the only thing slowing us down is Covid.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:43 AM   #6

Age 82 and planning to travel for many more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I'm eighty and the only thing slowing us down is Covid.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:44 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I am 74, own a 40ft pusher. Pretty good health.
Like everything else it’s up to you. I ain’t rich, have a fair amount of mechanical skills and enjoy being able to fix things myself. And like to keep things in good repair, clean and well maintained.
With that said, I am seeing the end of the line for our RV life. We’ve had some kind of coach for 20 years. I’m hoping for 80. But I can see that as wishful thinking too.

But, I almost refuse to get on the roof anymore. I have someone else change the oil and lube. If I do, it’s a day lost the next day of sore muscles and aching joints. I forget stuff. Like left the satellite up going down the road some miles this summer.( it was raining when I broke camp in a hurry and had a big hat on, and didn’t look up). I need to crawl under the rig and drain the air tanks, no big deal. Why do I keep putting it off...?

It’s all up to you, your health, your interests.
Good Luck.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #8
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsinbad View Post
I am a newbie and will be putting down a deposit today, 1/15/21, on a 2021 Rockwood Mini Lite 2205S. At my age, 74, this is a BIG deal/decision. Not only do I have to buy a trailer, but I also have to buy a truck to tow it with. -- snip -- Thanks
Brother purchased a similar rig in 2015. He and his wife were about 63 at the time. He drives 55 and is very careful. The trailer was new and the truck was his first 4x4, but lightly used. The truck is a good addition. The trailer is problematic in the wind and rarely extends/retracts the slide without blowing a fuse. He has defaulted to manual ext/ret of slide. Less stress and it works.

Now he has driven a 2 wheel drive pickup truck for most of his life and migrated from tent to popup. He and his wife camped on their honeymoon. So, they were experienced.

If you are a newbie, you have a lot to learn. Be very careful. Research, inspect, plan, practice in the driveway, do not let a schedule drive your progress and enjoy the RV lifestyle.

When backing: stop - develop a path, GOAL (get out and look), repeat. You can back 4 feet, stop/look to see you are aligned correctly, back some more, and GOAL again and again until you are in the site. Do not be detered if you are more comfortable using pull through sites for a while. Getting safely into and out of your site is your prime objective.

Congratulations on your decision to give RVing a try. Enjoy it while you can. You may have two years and you may have twenty. As with everything related to life, it depends. YMMV! When you can't be safe, park it. It's our responsibility to you and yours to everyone else.

Your memories, a camp chair, a companion, a view and a glass of your favorite beverage is still camping. Now be careful, but make those memories.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
81 and still going strong!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Old RVers never die. They just smell that way.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #11

We have a guy over on the Trek Tracks (Trek owners forum) that just gave up on the RV lifestyle and sold his 2004 Trek which he had bought new. He is 88 years old, and gave up on it only because he found traveling solo without his wife the last year or so (who is now in a nursing home with dementia) was no fun, not due to any physical limitation on his part.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:12 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
DFIL/DMIL would get get there wings every winter and fly south to FL with their 31' AS from PA Their last long trip they were 87/88. They would drive 5 to 7 hour a day.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:20 PM   #13

We both just turned 71. Bought our trailer in July. Love everything except backing up but with a 21 footer that isn't so bad. Wanna know how to back up a B747 if there's no tug available? It can be done and I don't mean by using reverse thrust.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:16 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Dad handed over the keys to the Bounder at 93. He lived to be 97.
He stayed mentally acute to the end.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving