Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2021, 06:35 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Back in 1999 we bought a brand new F450 - it came with a spare tire, but there was no place to carry it so it went into the shed in my back yard. We sold that truck back in 2009 and guess what: that spare tire is STILL sitting in the shed in my back yard! Our motorhome didn't come with a spare tire and in 14 years we haven't needed one. In fact I can't remember the last time I actually had to use a spare tire on ANY of our vehicles.
Our spare tire got used a few weeks ago. Rear tire went flat a couple of hours AFTER we'd been on four wheel drive road in Big Bend National Park.

New truck has a "full size" spare. I discovered that this means it's a friggin donut spare. It sports a larger diameter rim and lower profile sidewall tire that is the same width as a regular tire. The low profile sidewall means it rides rough. This POS is getting replaced as soon as we get home.

I would get 4WD if you ever think that you will have to camp on grass or gravel. These are the places you will get stuck when they get wet.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2021, 06:39 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentC02 View Post
I had a 4x4 with a 34 foot 5th wheel, and never in 4 years place in 4 wheel drive. So, here I am buying a new fifth wheel with weight of 17000# and tough weigh of 3700#. So, why buy a 4 wheel drive. I am looking at a Ford 250.

I've been taught several times to never haul a rig while in 4-wheel drive.
PLDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLDieter View Post
I've been taught several times to never haul a rig while in 4-wheel drive.
Referring back to my reply earlier, after I exited that muddy field CG I forgot to switch from 4WD hi to 2wd until I have driven approx. 50 interstate speed miles. No resulting damage to the 4WD assembly, and I drove that dually for 5 more years around the ranch.

FWIW, Vincent said he made his decision on the 14th.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #46

I used a crewcab 2 wheel drive dually diesel to pull 5th wheels for 360k miles. There were only a couple times when 4wd would have been nice, snow and mud. Never regretted 2wd.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #47

Rule one and rule two for having and using 4wd.

1. Don't use 4wd till its necessary.

2. Get out of 4wd when it's not necessary.

Just that simple!
Old 04-18-2021, 08:36 PM   #48

One thing not often mentioned is that low range is great for parking slow speeds. ease over things instead of hitting them with speed. Cut a little short and drop a trailer wheel off and you'll be glad you spent the four-wheel drive money. I don't use mine a lot but sure glad to have it when I do! Also get at least DRW 350 for that weight!
Maytonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:22 PM   #49

I’ll bet the trade in value of a used F250 without 4x4 would cost you more that if you didn’t buy the 4 x 4 to begin with. For example if you live in Texas and don’t Purchase an air conditioner because you only drive your truck in the winner. Good luck selling it!

In other words "Who the heck wants a used Ford pick up without 4 x 4"
?
Old 04-18-2021, 10:30 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoPatriot View Post
We towed a 40’ fifth wheel for 12 years and used the 4x4 countless times. We were thankful that we had it. On the issue of weight.....we towed with an F350 7.3l power stroke crew cab dually with a 4:10 rear end. We struggled on a regular basis with mountain passes and stopping is another whole concern. Your trailer weights at least twice as much as your desired truck purchase. Don’t let the truck salesman convince you that it will all be ok! Do your homework.
Things have changed a lot since the boat anchor 7.3L. I have a 250 and have towed very heavy often with 3.55 gears. I haven’t used tow/haul since I sold my 6.0L and with the 6.7 I can leave the cruise control on no matter the grade or weight. Heck, it even downshifts, brakes, and activates the exhaust brake to slow down going down grade now.

There are very little differences between 250’s and 350’s. Mostly just springs and possibly gearing depending on how it was ordered.
jshelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:31 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumOleBob View Post
I’ll bet the trade in value of a used F250 without 4x4 would cost you more that if you didn’t buy the 4 x 4 to begin with. For example if you live in Texas and don’t Purchase an air conditioner because you only drive your truck in the winner. Good luck selling it!

In other words "Who the heck wants a used Ford pick up without 4 x 4"
?
Exactly!!

IMO... buying a truck or SUV with no 4wd is like buying a boat with no bilge pump. When you need it - YOU NEED IT!!

I've got three 4wd vehicles currently. One HD 1T Chevy Cheyenne truck, One work oriented Ford SUV, One really cool Lincoln MKT SUV.

BTW - When I lived in Maine and also while living in upper Sierra Nevada Mountains I owned a few plow trucks. I know 4wd's. Would not be without one to several.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:31 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytonr View Post
One thing not often mentioned is that low range is great for parking slow speeds. ease over things instead of hitting them with speed. Cut a little short and drop a trailer wheel off and you'll be glad you spent the four-wheel drive money. I don't use mine a lot but sure glad to have it when I do! Also get at least DRW 350 for that weight!
I have to back ours up a section of 13 degree grade to the side yard parking. This is about the only time I ever use low range and I'm glad I have it.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:19 AM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentC02 View Post
I had a 4x4 with a 34 foot 5th wheel, and never in 4 years place in 4 wheel drive. So, here I am buying a new fifth wheel with weight of 17000# and tough weigh of 3700#. So, why buy a 4 wheel drive. I am looking at a Ford 250.
Utah!
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:32 PM   #54

Think of having 4X4 as having an extra credit card in our wallet. Rarely need it but....
edaa53 is offline   Reply With Quote