Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
There are far too many pet owners that do not clean-up after their animals and some that have dogs that make intolerable noise with their incessant yapping.
Perhaps if other pet owner's were to voice their opinions about that to the inconsiderate ones there wouldn't be that up-charge.

I don't like checking in only to find later I'm in a kennel.
Hey Bob

Understand & respect your your feelings that dogs can/have ruined some of your camping trips....however my point is that all sorts of "people" have at various times ruined my outdoor experience. I mean WHO invented the outdoor entertainment system(s) which force me to listen to football games or rap music (no offense meant to football fans or lovers of gangster rap).... What about the guy who spends every waking moment outside yelling into his/her cell phone.... What about screaming & arguing couples...screaming kids running through my site...? Hey I accept that if I want total peace & quiet I should stay home.... campsites include all sorts of people & "pets" in close proximity.

If enough RVers cannot accept pets as neighbors then I am sure a market for pet free CG's will emerge just as adult only or new rig only facilities have gained a place in the RV world. I can respect the CG that is up-front with me and simply states that pets are not allowed.... His/her campground... Their rules. The reason this will never happen is that the vast majority of RVers have an RV because they have "pets" and they enjoy the outdoors where pets are generally welcomed

What I cannot get my head around is once pets are allowed "how" does charging extra for them STOP them from barking ...stop them from running free.... stop them from leaving a deposit at your site... cause greater maintenance issues beyond the fact that campgrounds need clean-up crews
because "people use them". The "rules" are meant to stop this sort of behavior... If a $5.00 up-charge meant I could allow my dog to do whatever she liked... Fair enough...

In my opinion the $5.00 up-charge is a scam just like the airline that charges me $25.00 to take my suitcase. It is the thin edge of the wedge where today it is my beef about dogs and tomorrow it is your beef about your space heater or AC up-charge and the next day another up-charge for "you name it"!

OK... Clearly I have too much time on my hands....enough already ....I gotta go walk & play with Sandy & Chaquita in the pet friendly CG (Islander in Lk Havasu) where the security guy feeds them milk bones & the CG let's them swim in the lake right in front of our rig.. & I am happy to let them keep slamming my VISA.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I've had a dog (pet) for the last 50 years and a work dog, along with a pet, for the past 8 years. The pet and work dog are both labradors. We love our dogs, but don't take them camping. They are too big, harry, and a lot of work while camping.

So now you know I'm not a dog hater, but I have to agree with many that posted that dogs are a pain when camping, not all, but enough to cause campgrounds to have strict policies. If you read all the posts on this forum, there are always three constants, everyone paid cash for their RV and everything they own, all RV's for sale have been pet free and everyone who owns a pet never lets them bark, annoy others and cleans up after them.

We spend a lot of time in National Parks and they ALL say no pets on trails, yet we see 2-3 people on every hike with their pets on the trail. Some ruin it for all.

Thank you to the people who take care of their pets and respect everyone's right to enjoy camping, but don't be upset by rules that are made for those that don't have a clue.

Well put Don, I am 100% in agreement with you!

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #31

Hey Jack,

I have no problem at all with pets in a neighboring site. But I have a real problem with owners that allow their pets to crap on my site and yap continuously.

Yes, there are people that allow their kids to run wild. But they sure don't do it on my site but once. Same for the idjits with those noise-makers. As long as the "Quiet hours" are observed, I have no right to make a big issue of it.

As for the up-charge, it could be $50.00 but that does not provide license for pets to crap on my site (but I agree with you as far as the up-charge being a bit over the top). At the very least it's an excuse to gaff because some pet owners are irresponsible.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #32

It's not only the clean up they are charging for. The three resorts we frequent in AZ. Have large grassy areas for the dog area, chain linked off from the parking areas. They provide chean up bags a poop scoopers, benches, chairs, awnings, dog treats and toys for the dogs. It cost money besides for clean up, water the grass and mow it even have it treated for fleas and ticks. Thy could easly make more money by converting it to rv spots, figure another 15 spots at the winter rate of $55.00. I don,t mind the extra fee about $2.00 a day for a clean place to visit with my dog.
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #33
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too love my dog but have issues with those who ruin it for the rest of us. Last trip the dog from the neighboring site just came on in and made himself at home in our MH. They did no feel that they needed to comply with the lease rule because their dog was older and well behaved.

Makes you scratch your head how a dog jumping into my RV is well behaved. There are some rude campers but the majority are great to meet.

If the CG is worth i,t I will pay extra. As long as it is not sprung on me at checkin.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #34

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another reason why I rarely stay in a campground. I stay at friends and families houses most of the time, but when driving from one to another, I boondock. Walmart and rest stops are ok, but I prefer National Forests. You only need to be 1/4 mile (less than 1800 feet) or more from the highway. I find them peaceful and enjoyable. Most National Parks are surrounded by them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #35

I promised myself that I would shut-up after my last post as this issue is really not that big a deal. However, I can't help myself and I'm bored wit watching TV!

Anyway, I am in total agreement with everyone's post(s) that it is inconsiderate "owners" who ruin it for everyone else. However, my point is...

1) an ala carte up-charge will not change the behavior of inconsiderate pet owners...rules & the enforcement of those rules are the only thing that will get these people's attention. If they disobey pet rules & they have to leave.... this may modify their behavior..... Maybe not, but some people are beyond hope!

2) CG owners please do not insult me by rationalizing that the pet fee is required because pets require "extra" work or costs... Unless you are going to give me a refund on costly amenities I do not use (ie. Washrooms, Showers, Games Rooms, Club House, Children's Play Areas/Grounds, Tennis Courts/Shuffle Board, Cable TV, Swimming Pools/Hot-Tubs, etc.) If you don't want me because of my pets... have the integrity to say so and enforce a no pet policy, the same as the Adult Only, Big Rig/ClassA Only, Newer Rig Only, CG's.

3) The same for ala carte pricing for Internet, Electricity, Space Heaters or anything else you want to dream-up.It is not my responsibility to guarantee you a profit... "earn-it".

Pets are as much a part of the RV lifestyle as wives, children, campfires, bar-be-ques, freedom, the open road and adventure....amen. (by the way, Sandy & Chaquita are both frantically clapping their paws over this last part of my rant)
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #36
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tell Sandy & Chaquita two paws up.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #37

Hey, if your pets can clap their paws, they're not part of the problem and can camp next to me any time..
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
I promised myself that I would shut-up after my last post as this issue is really not that big a deal. However, I can't help myself and I'm bored wit watching TV!

Anyway, I am in total agreement with everyone's post(s) that it is inconsiderate "owners" who ruin it for everyone else. However, my point is...

1) an ala carte up-charge will not change the behavior of inconsiderate pet owners...rules & the enforcement of those rules are the only thing that will get these people's attention. If they disobey pet rules & they have to leave.... this may modify their behavior..... Maybe not, but some people are beyond hope!

2) CG owners please do not insult me by rationalizing that the pet fee is required because pets require "extra" work or costs... Unless you are going to give me a refund on costly amenities I do not use (ie. Washrooms, Showers, Games Rooms, Club House, Children's Play Areas/Grounds, Tennis Courts/Shuffle Board, Cable TV, Swimming Pools/Hot-Tubs, etc.) If you don't want me because of my pets... have the integrity to say so and enforce a no pet policy, the same as the Adult Only, Big Rig/ClassA Only, Newer Rig Only, CG's.

3) The same for ala carte pricing for Internet, Electricity, Space Heaters or anything else you want to dream-up.It is not my responsibility to guarantee you a profit... "earn-it".

Pets are as much a part of the RV lifestyle as wives, children, campfires, bar-be-ques, freedom, the open road and adventure....amen. (by the way, Sandy & Chaquita are both frantically clapping their paws over this last part of my rant)
Two great, logical well thought out posts. I agree.

Ken
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #39

I'm a little confused. While looking for my camper all the adds said no pets. Where do all these dogs come from?
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
I'm a little confused. While looking for my camper all the adds said no pets. Where do all these dogs come from?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
Everyone has a dog until it's time to sell, then no one has a or have had one. You'll also notice that very few campers have ever been cooked in, smoked in, or had ever had shoes on the carpet.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #42

[Moderator Edit]
If you don't like it, don't stay there.

If you cannot find some you DO like, start your own.

Ed
USN Ret.
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote