Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #57
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This will get some blood pumping, but please think back on your camping experiences before you let me have it!

I started camping with my parents back in the 60's. We camped all over California, Lake Shasta being our favorite. I camped through my teenage years (70's), the 80's and 90's with my kids, and now my wife and I. Our children have purchased RV's and bring our grandkids with them.

The biggest change I've seen in all those years of camping has been the increase in pets. It used to be that you went camping and socialized with other campers, sometimes making life long friends. As the years went by, the socializing declined and the pets increased. I see RV'er after RV'er sit in their rig all day, only coming out to walk the dog a few feet and go back inside. Only good thing about this is that sometimes this is the ONLY exercise these people get.

Think about your own neighborhoods. In years past you knew your neighbors, had block and Christmas parties and socialized. Now, you're lucky you see your neighbor every couple of weeks, but you probably know what kind of dog they have. Yes....times have changed, but people spend more time socializing with their pets, than humans.

Leave the dogs at home, or at least come out longer than a few minutes when Scruffy has to poop and meet your neighbors. Share camping experiences. Tell them about the great places you've been or the new gadget that works great. I'm sorry to say, but socializing with your pet more than another human being is sad.

A I said in my first post, I have two large labradors and love them to death, but I don't take them camping because camping trips are for exploring and meeting new people, not walking the dog.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
This will get some blood pumping, but please think back on your camping experiences before you let me have it!

I started camping with my parents back in the 60's. We camped all over California, Lake Shasta being our favorite. I camped through my teenage years (70's), the 80's and 90's with my kids, and now my wife and I. Our children have purchased RV's and bring our grandkids with them.

The biggest change I've seen in all those years of camping has been the increase in pets. It used to be that you went camping and socialized with other campers, sometimes making life long friends. As the years went by, the socializing declined and the pets increased. I see RV'er after RV'er sit in their rig all day, only coming out to walk the dog a few feet and go back inside. Only good thing about this is that sometimes this is the ONLY exercise these people get.

Think about your own neighborhoods. In years past you knew your neighbors, had block and Christmas parties and socialized. Now, you're lucky you see your neighbor every couple of weeks, but you probably know what kind of dog they have. Yes....times have changed, but people spend more time socializing with their pets, than humans.

Leave the dogs at home, or at least come out longer than a few minutes when Scruffy has to poop and meet your neighbors. Share camping experiences. Tell them about the great places you've been or the new gadget that works great. I'm sorry to say, but socializing with your pet more than another human being is sad.

A I said in my first post, I have two large labradors and love them to death, but I don't take them camping because camping trips are for exploring and meeting new people, not walking the dog.
Point well taken Don.

I grew up in the 50s and 60s and remember the neighborhoods and neighbors. Everyone knew each other, you talked, had get togethers, what a good way to go through life. Most of that is gone now unfortunately.

We take both our dogs with us when we travel, DW wouldn't have it any other way. In fact it's the only reason she agreed to our first MH.

That said we do take them for their walks and clean up after them. But once that is done we really enjoy hanging out with others in the CG. WIfe normally does the walking as I am usually fixing something that really doesn't need fixing. During her walks she stops along the way to meet the new neighbors who we later visit with (dog's inside).

I don't get the hang out inside the MH all day thing either.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #59

I get it. No one wants an obnoxious, misbehaved, yappy, poop machine with an inconsiderate owner for a camp neighbor. But " why" the extra charge. All you get is an obnoxious, misbehaved, yappy, poop machine with an inconsiderate owner who is willing to pay $3-$5 extra p/pet.

The CG justifies the charge as a cost for increased maintenance, but what about the extra costs associated with the washrooms, the showers, the pool/hot-tub, etc What about the inconsiderate people who litter, wash their RV, change their oil & play with their entertainment centers & never stop yelling into their cell phones?

I fall for these "bogus" arguments all the time. The Airline that won't fly my dog because it violates some FAA regulations, the store that doesn't allow dogs because of some health regulations, the hotel that won't allow dogs because of some public health & safety regulation. Today we went to a flea market and were asked to leave because " dogs are not allowed because they poop everywhere and get into fights".

Well....to these stupid & insulting justifications, I fly my dogs on Alaska, visit stores which welcome my dogs, stay in Westins, Marriots, Four Seasons & Deltas and have gone to literally hundreds of flea markets, farmers markets & open air festivals where dogs are welcomed & the people pick fights.

In today's economy good business people look for ways to include everyone, even canine customers, and the only time I'll visit the businesses that unfairly discriminate against my canine friends is when they are having their "going out of business sale".

Pets & my dogs are not welcomed everywhere for good and legitimate reasons. They should not be in a restaurant, at the Opera, in a movie theatre, and dozens of other places, but with all due respect I totally disagree that dogs should be left at home and do not belong camping. Pets and the outdoors go together like peanut butter & jelly.

TV, video games, iPads, my iPhone, promote social isolation NOT my dogs. I
have met more great people through my dogs .... almost non while typing
rants to IRV2 on my iPhone!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post

TV, video games, iPads, my iPhone, promote social isolation NOT my dogs. I
have met more great people through my dogs .... almost non while typing
rants to IRV2 on my iPhone!
5 stars for this reply. As previously stated the DW meets fellow campers while walking the dogs.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #61

Ok,,, I've been reading this thread for a while.... I'll add my two 'dogs' worth... We bought our motorhome just so we could take our 'kids' with us... Two Great Danes,,, We have worked with rescues,,, the local Humane Society,, etc,,, The first thing I did when we bought this home was build a fence around the 2 acres,,, so our 'kids' could run and play in "our" yard... Even here at home,,, the DW picks up poop out of the yard,,, although not much believe it or not due to feeding them a "raw" diet... They poop very little...
Anyway,,, we are VERY alert about them while traveling,,, on leash always,, picking up after them,, thinking about other people.... One bad apple spoils the bunch,,, as you can see reading this thread... If you ever see us out there, with our rare motorhome, please don't hesitate to come and say hello,,,
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I guess we all see things in a different light. One reason we wanted an RV was so that our dog can go along with us on vacation. He's a member of the family!

I'm an introvert and socializing with strangers is difficult for me, so not high on my list of things to do at the campground. So...each of us has different ideas of the "experience" and what makes it pleasant.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I agree with you...however. Last week we were at a very nice campground where the rules about pets were plainly posted. People were walking their dogs every day, letting them poop ANYPLACE and NOT PICKING UP AFTER THEM. I am a dog owner, and I was really PO'd when a couple of different campers looked the other way while their dogs left "souvenirs" on OUR campsite. Ick. Let's face it...lots of people do NOT follow the CG rules, and someone does have to clean up after them.

Also, the couple next to us had a dog that was not on a leash. GAH.
I agree 100% with your post; but I have to laugh.
My wife saw a women walking her dog and not picking up after it in a state park we frequent; we have a dog as well and religiously keep after any mess she makes....So my DW decided to follow her and pick up after her and brought it to their door. Their response: "oh...we didn't think there was that much"....There were more words that aren't fit for posting but you get my drift....They walk among us.
And I personally don't think it's just stupidity that allows for this behavior; but arrogance the likes of which needs a good slap up side their head to set them straight.
As far as leaving the dog/s at home: NEVER!
We enjoy having them with us and meet loads of like minded individuals wherever we go.
But; to each his own.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I guess we all see things in a different light. One reason we wanted an RV was so that our dog can go along with us on vacation. He's a member of the family!

I'm an introvert and socializing with strangers is difficult for me, so not high on my list of things to do at the campground. So...each of us has different ideas of the "experience" and what makes it pleasant.
Sarah, I hold the world's record for being socially introverted (not true in the business world). After a few trips to CGs where neighbors always want to talk, I discovered that I was having short conversations about travel etc... that were all of sudden lasting all afternoon. Next thing I knew I wasn't introverted in CGs. Still introverted socially in other settings.

Prime example, I posted a thread on here looking for a CG close to La Porte, TX, Wayne M replied with a suggestion. After a few posts back and forth he invited me to dinner. Against my time honed introverted nature I went, not only to dinner but to their house met the family, went golfing with his cousin the next day, etc...

Now looking forward to my next trip and visit with Wayne and Earlene.

If I can do it I bet you can too. After all I was the guy sitting alone in the corner at my own parties.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I'm with you Sarah.

I spent 33 years in the business world where I had to smile and glad hand every single day and on my own time I usually choose to remain a bit introverted. And, I don't view it as a problem which needs to be fixed...

We have three dogs and they go where we go. Before getting the coach, we moved to Hawaii for 7 months and even took our oldest Westie with us... which says something about how strongly we feel about taking our dogs with us. It's a very expensive and time consuming process to get a dog into the Hawaiian Islands.

IMO, it really comes down to what each of us values and what we expect out of our RVs. We bought ours after retirement so we could see the country, keep our dogs with us, visit friends and family wherever they may be and stay for as long as we like... and to scout out areas we might be interested in "settling down" in. It's done all of those things and more for us but we are not "campers" we are travelers.

Many different strokes for many different folks.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
If I can do it I bet you can too. After all I was the guy sitting alone in the corner at my own parties.
You may be right about that--but for now, I'm still sitting alone in the corner...with my dog.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I'm with you Sarah.

I spent 33 years in the business world where I had to smile and glad hand every single day and on my own time I usually choose to remain a bit introverted. And, I don't view it as a problem which needs to be fixed...

We have three dogs and they go where we go. Before getting the coach, we moved to Hawaii for 7 months and even took our oldest Westie with us... which says something about how strongly we feel about taking our dogs with us. It's a very expensive and time consuming process to get a dog into the Hawaiian Islands.

IMO, it really comes down to what each of us values and what we expect out of our RVs. We bought ours after retirement so we could see the country, keep our dogs with us, visit friends and family wherever they may be and stay for as long as we like... and to scout out areas we might be interested in "settling down" in. It's done all of those things and more for us but we are not "campers" we are travelers.

Many different strokes for many different folks.

Rick
I hear ya, Rick. I'm looking forward to retirement and having more time to travel. Right now we are "vacationers" and I'm ready to roll (so to speak).
Old 01-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #68

Quote:

Times have changed. For some that is baffling and disturbing. Some of us, however, prefer the new way. Our camping days ended long ago and we may be the people next door at the campground that you never see except when we take the dogs for their walk. Thank you for caring how much exercise I get. Freedom to utilize our days in the manner we want is a very good thing.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #69

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandClaudia View Post
Then these are probably the same who fuss about the WalMArt parking.
I have a real problem with those that say if we're too cheap to pay for a campground then we shouldn't have an RV. Lots of us paid many extra $$ to have a fully self contained RV and don't need hookups every night. We're still working so I drive long hours to get somewhere and just need a spot to catch some sleep when in transit. Why should I pay for all the ammenities when I'll never use them?
If a business allows RV's to park for short times then it's no one else's concern but the business and the people allowed to stay there.
When I get to my destination I pay for an RV spot in a campground.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I have a real problem with those that say if we're too cheap to pay for a campground then we shouldn't have an RV. Lots of us paid many extra $$ to have a fully self contained RV and don't need hookups every night. We're still working so I drive long hours to get somewhere and just need a spot to catch some sleep when in transit. Why should I pay for all the ammenities when I'll never use them?
If a business allows RV's to park for short times then it's no one else's concern but the business and the people allowed to stay there.
When I get to my destination I pay for an RV spot in a campground.
I have never stayed at a Walmart or anything similar other than a rest area once or twice. But must say, I support the guys at Walmart 100%.

If Walmart is ok with it why should anyone else complain or judge.

I do notice one thing from time to time in our forums, and that is people who have never tried something are quite often the first to condemn it or state emphatically that it won't work. Fortunately it's not often.