Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #1

Why are my dogs.... "extra"

Read the recent post on CG's charging extra for the use of portable heaters....must say when I pay for a full-hook-up 50 amp site, I feel it is objectional to charge extra for my portable heater. I agree with the post which points out that these CG's don't offer discounts during times of the year when you neither use heat or AC.... have the integrity to price your business "all-in".

This leads me to my current rant against CG's that charge me +$50 to park in a glorified storage lot and up-charge me for my two dogs! When asked "why" the response is usually "well it costs us extra to clean-up after your dogs". WHAT! ..... Your rules require me to (1) pick-up after them (2) only walk them in designated spaces & (3) keep them on a leash (4) don't leave them unattended (5) don't let them bark (6) etc. etc.!

The real reason these CG's charge extra for my dogs is "price creep" they can keep their posted rates low and then " al la carte" you for (1) length (2) number of AC units (3) portable heaters (4) your pets..... When does it stop!

It Only stops when we as as an RV community refuse to accept these business practices, express our displeasure in no uncertain terms and roll-on down the road!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with you...however. Last week we were at a very nice campground where the rules about pets were plainly posted. People were walking their dogs every day, letting them poop ANYPLACE and NOT PICKING UP AFTER THEM. I am a dog owner, and I was really PO'd when a couple of different campers looked the other way while their dogs left "souvenirs" on OUR campsite. Ick. Let's face it...lots of people do NOT follow the CG rules, and someone does have to clean up after them.

Also, the couple next to us had a dog that was not on a leash. GAH.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not sure that the ala-carte menu idea is all that bad, if administered with reason. It gives people a way to control what they spend, by paying only for the services they use.

I have 2 dogs and understand that the guy next to me without pets wouldn't want to have pets include in his all in price (cats should be free). I would support the use of metered electricity vs. extra charges for air conditioners. Haven't been to CG yet that said no portable heaters. So I cant say for sure if this is a way of generating additional revenue, protecting their older under powered electric system or as some suggested an insurance issue.

I do like all in pricing as it's simpler when trying to plan your costs.

I do believe that CG websites should include their price structure on the web site. Maybe even a copy of their rules.

I am opposed to CGs that advertise one rate then when you check in begin piling on the extras.

Guess I'll watch what everyone else has to say on the issue.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Read the recent post on CG's charging extra for the use of portable heaters....must say when I pay for a full-hook-up 50 amp site, I feel it is objectional to charge extra for my portable heater. I agree with the post which points out that these CG's don't offer discounts during times of the year when you neither use heat or AC.... have the integrity to price your business "all-in".

This leads me to my current rant against CG's that charge me +$50 to park in a glorified storage lot and up-charge me for my two dogs! When asked "why" the response is usually "well it costs us extra to clean-up after your dogs". WHAT! ..... Your rules require me to (1) pick-up after them (2) only walk them in designated spaces & (3) keep them on a leash (4) don't leave them unattended (5) don't let them bark (6) etc. etc.!

The real reason these CG's charge extra for my dogs is "price creep" they can keep their posted rates low and then " al la carte" you for (1) length (2) number of AC units (3) portable heaters (4) your pets..... When does it stop!

It Only stops when we as as an RV community refuse to accept these business practices, express our displeasure in no uncertain terms and roll-on down the road!

Back inhj 2007 I wanted to spend a night or 2 at a CG near the post office in Henderson NV, Found the Covered Wagon.. They started ticking me off from the word go. First it's a "10 yeatr old and newer park" Which I don't like, then they pack 'em in like sardines which I don't like but when they wanhted extra for my cats.... I went to Oasis.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:59 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Be sure to let them know once you tell them that you will not be staying there due to their extra charges that you'll be writing a review in rvparkreviews and trip adviser to let others know to avoid their place. If they see you backing out it's not a big deal, if they see a bunch backing out due to poor reviews they may be inclined to reverse their policy or at least post it on their web site.

It's up to them what and how to charge for their property, just don't let me drive all the way there to find out, let me decide before I make reservations.

I just returned from a vacation at a place where there was only one local campground. If they had done that I would have paid with a credit card and disputed the charges based on deception. Let them fight for the additional money.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #6

You never know what a business owner's motivation might be but when I was in business school (Moby Dick was a guppy then), we were taught that extra charges and fees were the way that a business could modify customer behavior. Extra charges for children, pets, extra vehicles, and visitors are pretty common. What that tells us is that the cg does not really want these things in their cg. Right or wrong, it is their business. If we do not wish to pay these fees, we move somewhere else.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
You never know what a business owner's motivation might be but when I was in business school (Moby Dick was a guppy then), we were taught that extra charges and fees were the way that a business could modify customer behavior. Extra charges for children, pets, extra vehicles, and visitors are pretty common. What that tells us is that the cg does not really want these things in their cg. Right or wrong, it is their business. If we do not wish to pay these fees, we move somewhere else.
Totally agree....when they al la carte pets, children, heaters, AC, cars, etc it is their business & they are telling me they do not want my business BUT exactly "what" business are they in???
Old 01-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Be sure to let them know once you tell them that you will not be staying there due to their extra charges that you'll be writing a review in rvparkreviews and trip adviser to let others know to avoid their place. If they see you backing out it's not a big deal, if they see a bunch backing out due to poor reviews they may be inclined to reverse their policy or at least post it on their web site.
That is a great idea.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Totally agree....when they al la carte pets, children, heaters, AC, cars, etc it is their business & they are telling me they do not want my business BUT exactly "what" business are they in???
I was just looking at a campground website and checked their daily/weekly rates. Then when I went to make a reservation, they included a $2 "handling fee" to MAKE THE RESERVATION. UM....no. I know $2 is piddling, but it still annoys me. Makes me wonder what other "extras" I would have to pay when we arrive. NEXT!!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #10

I have no problem with ala carte pricing, as long as it's competitive. If 2 similar CGs in the same area have the same base rate, but one is all inclusive and the other is ala carte, that's a different story.

We all can vote with our wallets and the rating websites are great tools.

I have mostly stayed away from badly rated facilities, and the few times that I didn't I was sorry -D'oh.

It's been said that some people are in business just to make a living, and some just to make a killing. Through many years, I've seen many of the latter die an early death - as it should be.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #11

[Moderator Edit]
Why is the CG charging me extra for the additional members of my family. They sleep in my rig... I am required to insure that the obey Park rules (just like the rest of my family)... So "why" the extra charge?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rules is rules,(mine) When we check in, it's two adults and no dogs
That is unless we are staying more than overnight, then I fess up.
Also, we only hook up the electric and only dump every few days. We never use their showers etc.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'm in favor of ala carte pricing rather than having me subsidize those who put extra burdens on the facilities & staff or who want/use amenities I have no use for. Larger sites or those with premium locations often have upcharges, as does more electric (50A), sewer sites, cable tv, etc. Why not other things as well?

We have worked in campgrounds all across the USA and I heartily agree that dogs and kids put an burden on the operation of the campground. Everybody says their dogs and kids are marvels of deportment and always well supervised, but somebody's kids and pets are messing things up, generating complaints at the office, and otherwise requiring staff to deal with their antics.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Centralized Review Site is the Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Be sure to let them know once you tell them that you will not be staying there due to their extra charges that you'll be writing a review in rvparkreviews and trip adviser...
It'd be nice if we could all pick a site to do these reviews.

If people didn't go to CGs without first consulting the site, all this surcharge stuff would cease.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote