Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2021, 11:26 AM   #1

Why Buy New?

Hello all and thank you so very much for helping to improve my education regarding our upcoming purchase. It's been quite informative. And entertaining!

I joined this site and a few others and have been reading everything I can for the last few months, probably starting in Oct. I have a friend who's a full-timer in a Class C, and another who owns a GD 2800BH and loves it. I grew up camping, and one summer we pulled a Coleman pop-up with a Mercury Marquis wagon with the woodgrain side from NC to CA and back. Mom, dad, three kids. I was about 12 and the oldest. We did a lot of camping and when I had my own family we had a Jayco pop-up with twin Queen beds. Great camper. FF a few decades and as I approach retirement we're looking at TTs in the 30 ft range. We have a few we like but we're still looking.

After tons of reading and looking at units in person (too many to count), and visiting dealerships, I'm left scratching my head trying hard to find a reason to buy new. What does it really get you? With a car, it's an entirely different story. But honestly, what do you get? A warranty? Pfft. The expectation is that every RV coming off the line is defective in one manner or another, the "quality" varies wildly, and having things break the first time out seems to be not only commonplace but expected. So then the process is to take it back to the dealer and hope they can get to it inside of a month. If the breakdown occurs while traveling (it is, after all, a TRAVEL trailer), that warranty service can take even longer or you're forced to pay out of pocket to get going, sometimes with a mobile repair service. The forums are full of dealerships that put RVs purchased somewhere else at the back of the line.

I was originally convinced we'd buy new to have the warranty and support and now I am seriously questioning that approach. I think I'd rather carefully inspect a used unit, one that has had the initial round of failures and leaks fixed. Dealers are still trying to charge a premium for used units but good buys can still be found with private sellers if one knows what they want.

I've been a lifelong DIY guy, especially with my cars and I have all the tools. All of them. lol Out of the last 6 cars I bought over the last 6 years, 4 were new and 2 used, with the latter being my current drivers.

Any wisdom here? Am I off the mark?

*I would rather this not delve into the unusual "what are you towing with" sidebar. That's still up in that air and it will be more than capable. Probably a used minivan.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 12:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

As long as you have some repair skills, which presumably includes some ability to spot problems and damage, I think that buying used makes more sense than new. My mantra goes "You're buying a furnished house rather than a car. Would you insist that only a new house will do? Some probably do, but it doesn't make much sense to me. "New" has a nice ring to it, but ultimately only condition and price count.

A new RV warranty is basically there to correct factory defects and early life failures, so it's not really adding value. That sort of stuff has already been dealt with in a used RV, but you have to be able to spot wear & tear in an older used rig (or get a price low enough to offset it).

Like you, we have bought both new & used, cars and RV both. I haven't seen that clean used items are any more troublesome than new.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
If you choose it, it is good.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:32 PM   #4

Never bought a new RV. After living 20 years in a 200 year old house, I bought a brand new one. There were still many things to do to it. Paint, ceiling fans, cabinet hardware, more shelves etc.
Owning a 200 year old house was great preparation for owning a used RV. I always fixed everything myself anyway. Also, I spent 40 years building and engineering all kinds of boats. With this background, I'm perfectly comfortable with used and having to repair things myself. I would not want to be continually taking an RV in for service when I can fix it faster than finding someone else to do it. All this said, I don't want a project, I want one that is in relatively good shape to begin with.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:27 PM   #5

I like to let others take the big depreciation buying new. Two or three years old is what we do.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:30 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
When buying new you get to choose exactly what you want and get the latest version of appliances and technologies. When you buy used you are limited to what is available. To some it's worth the extra money to some it's not. Just because you buy it new doesn't mean you can't fix the issues yourself it just means the repairs may not be "free".
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Personally, I would rather buy an RV maybe 2-3 years old, IF I could find one with the features and floorplan that we would like. I would much rather let someone else take that huge depreciation hit when driving off the sales lot, and hopefully the original owner will have gotten all the problems fixed that the factory missed or ignored when trying to get it out the door! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:41 PM   #8

Since you are a long term DIYer you might be well served to but a lightly used unit, just get an inspection.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:45 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I rarely buy anything used. I like to buy new to know there's no "hidden" problems being passed off to me. I'm not the sort of person who can kick the tires and tell if the roof has been leaking for the past 3 years. Buying new, I get warranty protection to fix anything that is not right. It comes with a price but I don't buy used shoes and i don't buy used vehicles. I've only ever owned one RV and I bought it new so I could get the options I wanted and did not have to accept it if it wasn't right. Many times when buying used (as in a house), you must buy "as is". A certain amount of luck involved with that.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I am always looking at used coaches to educate myself on what's out there. There are 3-4 make/models that are peaking my interest.

So I can buy a really nice high end used coach ~2007 year (preemission) for ~$200K

Or I can buy a brand new equivalent fit/finish coach for ~$750K.

I think I'd take the older high end coach without all the new electronics that would take a rocket scientist to fix. I'd use the rest of the money to travel.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #11

Buying new allows you to get the exact RV you want. With the exact features , floorplan, colors and furniture you want vs. accepting what someone else chose.
You also get the full lifespan of the RV compared to one that has been pre worn in.
I consider the warranty on a new RV there for major issues that hopefully don't exist
because you did a careful PDI. However if there are major hidden issues you have a warranty vs. none at all.
In both cases its easier to do minor repairs yourself vs. going to a dealer.
In the end neither used or new guarantees you enjoyable RV experience.
You can buy a lemon or a cream Puff either way.
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:03 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I am always looking at used coaches to educate myself on what's out there. There are 3-4 make/models that are peaking my interest.

So I can buy a really nice high end used coach ~2007 year (preemission) for ~$200K

I think I'd take the older high end coach without all the new electronics that would take a rocket scientist to fix. I'd use the rest of the money to travel.
Well that's a pretty easy choice for me. I'm never going to pay $200K for an RV let alone $750K. Don't fault those who can afford either, but it's not a choice I'll ever have to make.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post

I agree with this.

The last car I bought was used, and I bought it sight-unseen. But I did a TON of homework and had it inspected, then shipped to me. It's a bucket list car since I was in HS, a Porsche 911. It's perfect and exceeded my expectations. No way can I afford a new, under warranty Porsche, but you bet your bananas I can work on one.

As mentioned, I've had both new and used and there are definitely advantages when you're talking about cars. RVs seem to be a different beast, but I can get a very nice TT that's only a few years old, and, let's face it, even the most up-to-date tech in any of these leaves a bit to be desired, especially the entertainment systems. I'll upgrade a new one too. That Jensen system is terrible.

I have no brand loyalty and there are certain things it must have, like counter space. Some of the very nicest TTs have scant counter space. Looking at gently used opens up some new possibilities and I can put the money towards the upgrades, like the suspension. I really wish RV makers would use a suspension system designed within the last 50 years. It's silly, really.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:34 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Pretty simple answer.....buy what you like and can afford.

This question always ends up in pages of verbal gymnastics as to why to buy used versus new. The old regurgitation about fixing all the issues with a new coach, is exactly that, a regurgitation of a justification for buying used. Every new RV that I've purchased, six of them, over 40 years, have been pretty trouble free and have NEVER been left overnight at a repair facility. I also bought three used RV's over the years, in great shape, but two of them gave me more issues than all the new ones combined.

So simple answer.....if you can afford to buy new and desire to do so, do it. If you want to buy used, do so and spare us the next five pages of justification for your used purchase!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote