Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2020, 08:41 PM   #1

Why did you park it and forget it?

As the SO and I drive around we see so many RV's that got parked and never moved again. Some we have watched for years but nothing is done and they never moved.

I once tried to offer a gentleman, what I thought was a fair deal, on a motor coach. I realize that he thinks he could get 50k on it, but that was probably about 15 years before it stopped running. It would take me at least 3k to get it moved, not even started, and the blackberry bushes would have been a two day job alone. It is still sitting there 5 years later with even more bushes and the ratty blue tarp still exposed where we had to peel it back to get in side. We see a lot in this conditions and I think of all the people who would love a chance to get their hands on a budget DIY rebuild before the roof collapse or the animals completely ruin the interior.

Do people actively try and collect as many derelict RVs on their property? When you look out at it wasting away behind the barn wouldn't you rather have it out of your hair for a cheap price than knowing it will be worth even less in after a few more years.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #2

Just the same as Collector Cars. Think its worth way more then it is and are going to fix it up some day. They will die and it will go to the scrap yard.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:53 PM   #3

This is true of so many things ... it's just that RVs are large and visible examples. Who knows why people hang on to the material things that they do.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
As.

Do people actively try and collect as many derelict RVs on their property? When you look out at it wasting away behind the barn wouldn't you rather have it out of your hair for a cheap price than knowing it will be worth even less in after a few more years.
In answer to the above, yes I unfortunately know of people that have collected there treasures and they do actually believe they will fix them up themselves and make a lot of money.
They will not part with anything as it has, in their mind, great future value.

Personally I look at these wasting away treasures as what they are, broken dreams of someone.

Just my opinion of course,

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I once had a neighbor that had a 63 Impala SS 327 4spd and a 32 Ford 3 window coupe just rot into the ground. He just mowed around these forever. Wouldn't ever accept or consider a reasonable offer on either. Gonna fix em up someday. Never painted his house or put a roof on it in 60 years. Never saw the house window shades pulled up once in 40 years.
He finally died and they were hauled off for scrap, house leveled and life goes on I guess. Why? Because some people are just stubborn and delusional I guess.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:07 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Men get old, and can't do what they did when they were younger, but, they think they are going thru a temporary setback, and soon, all will be back to normal !
Old 08-06-2020, 10:27 PM   #7

Or some are just Hoarders.......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:12 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
There is a Southwind motor home around a 2005 model sitting under covered storage in the lot where we store ours. It has not been moved in the nine years we have had our coach stored there and the registration is 2010. Someone still has to be paying for it to sit in storage or they would claim and auction it. I've never been able to understand that.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:34 AM   #9

Seen it with motorcycles, cars boats, and just about anything. The perceived value simply is not there.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:00 AM   #10

I have a buddy that bought a huge boat. Two giant V8 engines. After a few months of paying a huge slip rental, he decided to get a trailer, modify it, then move it to a storage lot. He apparently expected the owner of the lot to manage and take care of it while it's there but that didn't happen. In a storm it filled up with water and blew all the tires out on the trailer. It sat like that for awhile and the water has just about ruined the entire interior. He eventually got it pumped out and changed where it won't collect as much water.

The only time I have ever seen it in person, he wanted me to pull it an hour to his house. His trailer didn't fit the boat so he cobbled it so it would. The boat is the biggest thing Ive ever seen. You would need an 18 wheeler to move it and his cobbled trailer was in the process of breaking apart. At that time he still owed $17k on it and I doubt it will ever be moved or used again. he will probably pay the storage fees until he can get it paid off or find a sucker to take it.

My former inalws buy stuff then try to sell it later for hugely inflated prices. it doesn't sell. They believe that it's worth the same new and sometimes more because they took extra special care of it and when it was new it was better and different than all other cars and rv's
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:38 AM   #11

Seems like bigger the property bigger the collection of vehicles boats and RV's especially in rural areas.

I also see many RV's at a local storage yard that have not been moved in years.
mokurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:39 AM   #12

So many vehicles wasting away on yards and storage. I would rather be rid of something I am no longer going to use.

Have a friend who let his 5th wheel sit beside his house. He bought it and then found out he didn't like to tow and his wife didn't camp. It did get used as a man cave till it finally started to get to bad. Some one bought it for 3k. He was very happy to get rid of it.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:04 AM   #13

Six years ago I "traded up" from a 1978 Taurus trailer to a 2002 Splash trailer. It was used once on a hunting trip then parked at home. It's been used as a spare room for a few weeks (off and on). I didn't get any paperwork on the appliances so I've had to research everything. I have no plans to use it in the future so I'll get it cleaned up and hopefully get it sold to someone who can enjoy it. It's one of those things that time and nature change.
Travis98146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:12 PM   #14

In a small town we used to live in there was a young man who had always wanted a Corvette. He saved his money and finally bought a new white Corvette. Shortly after he was called up by the military. Unfortunately, he never returned home. His parents never moved it and refused to sell it. It stayed where he parked it outside, next to the house. It slowly turned to junk. Don't know what the final outcome was for it.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote