Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2017, 12:30 AM   #1

Question Why do class b's cost the same as class c's?

The title says it all. Thanks!

Is it really just MPG?

What am I missing?

Thanks

Hans
SeaWolfHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2017, 03:39 AM   #2

A mystery to me as well. I've been told that it takes more labor to take a van, gut out the parts you don't want then add in all the things you do than it does to take just the cab part and add everything else. I guess also with the cramped working space inside the van, it is harder to do. Many class B's I've seen cost as much as some Class A's too.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #3

Never made any sense to me. All I know is they sell all they make so why would they lower the price.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #4

Sitting in a campground recently I admired a Sprinter class B that drove past, when I told her what it cost new her jaw dropped.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I was looking to buy a new RV three years ago, I originally wanted to get a Class B. I did some researching and found them more expensive than Class C RVs. I got a Class C.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know why you think there is less labor or parts involved in a B than a C. In fact, it may be more laborious and require more custom fit components to try to fit everything into the smaller space. And they still have to add plumbing, waste tanks, house 12v and 120v, bed and tables, etc. All the same sort of stuff that goes into a C.

Nor do Class B RV builders have to "gut" a standard van - they buy the shell empty and start with that. Ditto for standard size ambulances, by the way.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
What I don't understand is why class C's cost as much as class A's.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #8

My Fleetwood Terra SE 33s cost less than many Class B!
Old 09-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I don't know why you think there is less labor or parts involved in a B than a C. In fact, it may be more laborious and require more custom fit components to try to fit everything into the smaller space. And they still have to add plumbing, waste tanks, house 12v and 120v, bed and tables, etc. All the same sort of stuff that goes into a C.

Nor do Class B RV builders have to "gut" a standard van - they buy the shell empty and start with that. Ditto for standard size ambulances, by the way.

Price a 4 cubic foot fridge vs an18 cubic ft fridge ...How many leather couches fit in a van....? 1 tenth the flooring , counter tops and cabinets. Cheaper drive train,brakes and suspension . Less air conditioners. Basically less of everything except price.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why do "B"s cost as much as "C"s? Because people will pay the same!
Old 09-16-2017, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Why do "B"s cost as much as "C"s? Because people will pay the same!

Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner!!!
Old 09-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #12

Why do people pay the price for a stupid camper????? Because they will PAY FOR IT!!!!!
1doodadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #13

Some like Lucky 11oz 12 packs, and will not pay more for higher quality beer.

Some like higher quality custom craft brews, and will not buy lesser quality beer.

Their is a customer for each point.

And, usually good old Supply & Demand kick into the equation. Not all B's are made the same. Some are less expensive then others, and you can usually tell this by craftsmanship, and materials used. The Pleasure Way Unity for example, is like a small higher end boat cabin. (I won't single out an example of lesser quality materials and craftsmanship... But close inspection will reveal who they are!) And frankly, the same for Class C's or even Super B's. I do think that Class C's being on usually the F350 - F450 chassis, do have a lasting cost point the Mercedes based B's. And sure volume, as I suspect a good 3 to 1 more C's are manufactured then B's, maybe even 4 or 5 to 1... Some of that volume, is almost junk when the roll of the factory assembly floor. Other's are built to the same above mentioned higher craftsmanship, and materials... Lazy Daze comes to mind...

And, us consumer's also help on price points. If the market won't bear a ~$125-150K Class B, they'd stop making them... But many keep buying them, and that is called the 'demand' side of the equation!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why do people buy Tesla instead of a Nissan Leaf? Why a Lexus over a Toyota?
Because they can. I don't get it but if the market will bear it, they will buy it.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c