Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Why do truckers dislike us so?

Why do truckers dislike us so much? Whenever a big rig goes by me at night I always dip my likes a couple of times to let then know its safe to come over, and they in turn recognize my courtesy with a flash of the lights, but God forbid they should show me the same courtesy when I pass them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Jealous maybe?
Old 01-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have read in other posts that truckers aren't allowed to flash other vehicles over due to liability concerns. Whether that's actually true or not I have no idea.

I also don't believe that all "truckers dislike us."
Old 01-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I use to be a OTR driver, learned a lot, today, When driving my Coach, I never flash them my lights, "signaling to them" that I want them to get well past me before pulling back in...........
Old 01-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I have read in other posts that truckers aren't allowed to flash other vehicles over due to liability concerns. Whether that's actually true or not I have no idea.

I also don't believe that all "truckers dislike us."
Agree Sarah, when you are broke down......you will find, they will be more of a friend than other's in auto's..........I was
Old 01-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
I most always get the flashers on and off if they pass or if I pass I always get the headlights flashed on high ect.
I don't think for a min there is a dislike between us but rather a lack of respect.I pull into rest areas and Flying J's and see Campers and MHomes with slides out all the time and I think to myself- What are they Thinking ?
Bottom line is they aren't- just being self centered in the Trucker World.
Not every Rver is on RV2 and communicating the way most of us do, there are many wanna be's blazing they're own path.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
In most states trucks have to use the right lanes. I know that I pass a lot of RV's going very slow (legal but slow) in the right and sometimes center lanes. In heavy traffic it's hard for the trucker to try and pass. Since they are loosing time they are loosing money.

I try to be aware of the trucks and the need for them to come over, either to pass or move over for merging traffic. I will try and help when possible, slowing down and letting them over. I usually get acknowledged and my good deeds don't go unnoticed.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I use to be a OTR driver, learned a lot, today, When driving my Coach, I never flash them my lights, "signaling to them" that I want them to get well past me before pulling back in...........
I too, as I don't want to be any closer to rock and gravel coming off the truck pitting my paint and windshield. In addition, when I pass big rigs I don't change lanes till way ahead of them as I do not want to be the cause for them to brake or change gears unnecessarily.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSullivan View Post
Why do truckers dislike us so much?
I don't think it fair to make that assumption at all. They're no different than a classification of people known as RV drivers.

Both will include all kinds. Hard to fathom why anyone would expect differently....
Old 01-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've never found that truckers dislike us. Any time we pull into a truck stop, or a rest area, we always make it a point to strike up a conversation with at least one trucker. Our conversations have always been friendly, sometimes leading to a great visit. We've found that nobody can beat a trucker for helping us get the best directions to our next destination.

I can't think how many times a trucker has told us that he was looking forward to being able to retire and run a coach like we do.

Jim
Old 01-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Some - not all -OTR drivers are under a lot of stress trying to make ends meet in the days of $4 a gallon diesel. To get the work they may have underbid a job and aren't really in the mood to be courteous to us "slackers" rolling down the road at our pace.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #12

I only flash my lights to signal a trucker to change lanes if he is passing me slowly and has traffic behind him. This is letting the trucker know that I am ok and prepared to have him change lanes in front of me sooner then he normally would. Any other time I dont bother. Dont judge the truckers by there light flashing practices because while you are thinking about flashing lights maybe the trucker has more important things on his mind.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I seldom have issues with OTR operators. I will flash lights at them only if they are being pressed by following traffic. Not all will flash back but who knows if they actually saw me flash my lights. If they did and do not acknowledge my courtesy I will wait for the next one to pass and see if he will.

Always fun to talk to them in the fueling lines. We acknowlege the good points on each others rigs, talk about road conditions and many other topics. It has to be a lonely life with many hours sitting by yourself so most enjoy having a talk with someone.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I asked a trucker this question.

He said that they have rest areas and truck stops
and when they come in late at night and "THINK"
there is an empty spot, they find an RV with slides out
taking up two spaces.
We are losing Walmarts, etc, due to people that do not follow the
rules.
Truckers need to sleep and cannot pull into a campgound.
We have the option.......why not show some respect'
Closed Thread