Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2021, 10:37 AM   #1

Why don't RV parks respond?

Seems about 75% of RV parks don't have online reservations. Of those, most have a "reservation request" form to fill out. Seems more often than not, when you fill it out the form you never hear from them. Why is that?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Seems about 75% of RV parks don't have online reservations. Of those, most have a "reservation request" form to fill out. Seems more often than not, when you fill it out the form you never hear from them. Why is that?
I cannot answer your question because I haven't had that experience...yet.

I am always reluctant to book at a CG that I cannot call directly or reach on-line, however, I have done so a few times. Each time, I got a call back within a short while. Admittedly, my experience is very limited, but if I never received a return call, I likely just cross that CG off my list. No reply because they couldn't accommodate you is simply poor PR. Any other reason is probably confusion, disorganization, or incompetence.

I'll add one more thing. I have no clue what an appropriate time frame for a response would be for a CG. In my mind, it is asap, and certainly within 24 hrs. but I may be mistaken. Some sites give a time frame which relieves any concern, but those that don't should respond within a day, IMO.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
We have experienced the same thing. Maybe not 75%, but probably 50%.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 02:45 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't trust any online registrations, so after filling our forms, I call and ask them to send a confirming email. Many times the online reg charts says dates or requested spaces are not available, but when I call they sometimes have openings, that the online chart says were sold out.

If you are waiting for a call back or reply, don't hold you breath!
Old 08-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
In 7 years of RVing, all at private RV parks, I’ve never had the problem. Any time I’ve submitted a request via email or voice mail I’ve received a response in a reasonable* amount of time. Usually the next day, sometimes longer if the request was made after hours on a Friday or at other odd times.

That said, I much prefer on-line booking where I get an immediate response and confirmation.

Regards,

Randy

* 24 to 48 hours seems about right to me. If I need a quicker response, then I need to be calling, and I understand that they might not share my sense of urgency.

There’s an old saying in business, “failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.”

groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
I don't trust any online registrations, so after filling our forms, I call and ask them to send a confirming email. Many times the online reg charts says dates or requested spaces are not available, but when I call they sometimes have openings, that the online chart says were sold out.

If you are waiting for a call back or reply, don't hold you breath!

I've received an email confirming the online reservation at every place I've booked. Without that confirmation I would be concerned too, and would make a call.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:47 PM   #7

Most of the state and county parks, and the vast majority of the private parks I have booked online, have very complete booking systems that even assign a specific site number. But I will be the first to admit that the two that I've booked using the info page with a return phone call sort of "irk" me a little. And if I get no return call or e-mail, I'm definitely not going to that one!
AlfaBaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #8

With government i.e. State, and National parks I’ve never had a problem reserving on-line, but with private parks I always try to talk to them directly on the phone.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:45 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't trust online reservations. I want to talk to someone, I want their name and I expect an e-mail confirming the reservation. I've gotten the short stick too many times.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:54 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Most of the Government sites you can only book online, but those seem to be pretty responsive. KOA is pretty god about booking online.

We're currently in Jackson Wyoming, which has only a few campgrounds that fit big rigs. We've stayed at the Virginian in the past, but they wouldn't answer their phone this year and the online request was never answered. They were supposedly changing computer systems, but we couldn't wait until the month before to see if a site was available. Kind of aggravating.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaBaz View Post
Most of the state and county parks, and the vast majority of the private parks I have booked online, have very complete booking systems that even assign a specific site number. But I will be the first to admit that the two that I've booked using the info page with a return phone call sort of "irk" me a little. And if I get no return call or e-mail, I'm definitely not going to that one!
We have booked eleven different places since December. Three were private campgounds and the other 8 were either state or national park campgrounds. In each case we were able to select and reserve a specific site.

Anyway, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect a 21st century booking system. Maybe in the not too distant future we will have a "reservation chip" installed and everything will be fully automatic! Haha.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:59 PM   #12

Last year... Do to the shortage of campsites... Was the first time I have ever even tried to book at a site that utilized that sort of system and it did not go well.

If the campground is to inept to set up a decent online system or offer hours in which the phone lines will be manned then I assume that they are not properly equipped to be able to manage my camping experience. Certainly my preference is an online system that gives me immediate feedback as to availability and is available 24 hours a day so that I can book on my schedule.

As to response time, anything more then 24 hours means they have very likely lost my business.

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:45 AM   #13

Some campgrounds are more geared to seasonal clients than transients or weekend warriors. Their sites are usually booked a year in advance and they have a waiting list.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:47 AM   #14

I am firmly in the old school " I want to speak to a real person group "
That way there is no question, who handled your reservation, what site you will have and answers to any questions you may have that weren't on their website.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv park