Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2017, 06:36 AM   #1

Why no factory style Nav systems?

Why are there no OEM automotive style aftermarket navigation systems?

Something like what I have in my RAM truck. It's fast, re-calculates on the fly, updates automatically, has real time traffic and weather alerts and will last the life of the truck. I believe the real time runs off the UConnect system which I would gladly pay for if I could get one of these in my Coach.

Is there anything out there like this? I would like an in-dash unit for various reasons.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #2

Just go to Cruchfield.com and see what they offer for in-dash nav/stereo units.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #3
WDW

Had an integrated GPS, DVR, radio, back up camera in our Jayco C Greyhawk. It was terrible. And I'm being polite.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
For me THE biggest drawback to OEM dash nav systems is the location. I have my Garmin 760 sitting high on the dash and I do not have to take my eyes off the road for the information to be available. jmo mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #5

Sometimes factory updates are expensive to get. Much rather have one I can easily update from anywhere!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Just go to Cruchfield.com and see what they offer for in-dash nav/stereo units.
Ya, I did not really what I am looking for. They all require updating manually and still need wifi or your cell for live traffic/weather.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
For me THE biggest drawback to OEM dash nav systems is the location. I have my Garmin 760 sitting high on the dash and I do not have to take my eyes off the road for the information to be available. jmo mark
I know for many that works but were mine is located it is ion a good spot and I just do not like clutter on they dash. It's a pet peeve.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
We have the nav systems on our GM cars worst system ever designed. You think routing is bad on some of the Garmins and RM's, try a GM system.
Would never want that in my RV.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Sometimes factory updates are expensive to get. Much rather have one I can easily update from anywhere!
I do not have to do any of that with the one in my RAM the updates are automatic. The Uconnect system is amazing. I love the live traffic and weather the most. We do a lot of trips into Boston, Montreal and the surrounding Cities where the live traffic has been invaluable. We just got back from a trip to Boston my buddy had a Garmin I had my system. We got separated by a little bit my unit took me around a big traffic jam his.......well lets see I had a few cocktails before he arrived...........lol.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
We have the nav systems on our GM cars worst system ever designed. You think routing is bad on some of the Garmins and RM's, try a GM system.
I have had several factory systems. The Toyota and RAM are the best that I have used to date. We had a MB that was terrible might as well have nothing and my wife's BMW's good but cumbersome.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Guess we are Old School,,, we don't rely on GPS,,, BUT the "Lady in the Dash" on my 15 Silverado has been very good so far....Its a 'toy' to us,,, not a 'tool' .... As said, we look up directions before we leave,,,, "old school" ...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Factory nav is TYPICALLY a profit center for the mfg's, usually outdated maps, and technology as it is an accessory for them, whereas for Garmin, it IS their business and usually the latest technology available with map updates from the map providers that do most of the mapping.

I have the uconnect in my 14 jeep toad, but still use the garmin 760 in both it and the rv.

the worst gps I had was in an Audi, when it went off lease after 3 years the maps had still not been offered for update and they were two years old (at least) when I first got it.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only experience I have is with Honda oem nav. It is full of errors, upgrades, which are grossly expensive, have no affect on the errors in our area, or in Phx where we travel to often. It is cumbersome to operate and doesn't provide info in a useful manner.

Glenn
Old 06-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #14

i've sworn off factory installed GPS. I have it in my Escape (Sync 3) and it is fine but I don't like having to do everything from the dash. I've gotten very accustomed to using Google on a PC and once I have something routed, I just send it to my phone.

I don't have an RV yet, and now that I'm looking at 5th wheels instead of a MH, it may be a moot point, but I originally had no intention of spending extra money on a built in factory unit.

I'm interested in the RV specific Garmin models, but I'd like to see how routing works. I've got a Garmin handheld and I don't like that I need to wire it up to my PC to get the route out of BaseCamp. Not sure if this has been modernized yet

Using Google, the DW can sit in the passenger seat and research/set a route on the fly and just send it to a iPad mini mounted in the cabin and boom, we are following a new route

I'm sort of on board with Monkey - I'm old school in that I like paper maps and i like to know where I'm going before we leave. I also like digital and I'm looking for something that makes me feel like I've got the best of both worlds.

I think where GPS really shines is if I'm going to navigate/traverse an unfamiliar city with lots of freeway interchanges. I like the GPS telling me to get in this lane or that to prepare for whatever is coming. I just drove through Huston at night from the Airport to Galveston and really appreciated the GPS helping me through all that AND avoiding toll roads.
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems