Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2021, 08:00 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
40 years as a diesel truck mechanic doing mostly engine work and what do I have? A gasser!

We don't put a lot of miles on. Maybe max of 8-9,000 a year average.

We max out around 28,000 pounds with my Ranger behind our rig, and it's 60 feet in total length.

If we put more miles on, and there was a floor plan I could live with, sure a diesel would be great. But the added costs just don't work for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0312.JPG.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	349737  
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2021, 08:04 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
On the gasser side and specifically the half ton side, within 10 years it will be dominated by electric.
Where's the emoji for a theater seat?
Old 11-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I am staring to see a trend that has previously never been noticed:

Those with gas are certain they made the superior choice.

Those with diesel are certain they made the superior choice.

How has this never been noticed before?
Did you miss my post? I stated the reasons why I bought a gasser but admitted their are times I wish I had a diesel. Doesn't mean I regret my decision or wish I could go back and change it. If $$ were not an issue, yes I would prefer the diesel, but I'm happy with my gasser.
Sv Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Where's the emoji for a theater seat?
I’m just going by what Ford and GM are saying. Haven’t seen anything from Dodge. GM us adamant about being completely out of electric by 2035. Ford wording is similar. Just sayin.

“ General Motors plans to completely phase out vehicles using internal combustion engines by 2035, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mary Barra announced Thursday. The automaker will go completely carbon neutral at all facilities worldwide by 2035.

Barra has frequently touted GM's plan for “an all-electric future,” recently increasing to 30 the number of pure battery-electric vehicles it will launch by the middle of this decade, but this marks the first time the largest Detroit automaker has set a hard target for completely phasing out gas and diesel engines for all light-duty vehicles, including pickups and SUVs.”
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I’m just going by what Ford and GM are saying. Haven’t seen anything from Dodge. GM us adamant about being completely out of electric by 2035. Ford wording is similar. Just sayin.

“ General Motors plans to completely phase out vehicles using internal combustion engines by 2035, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mary Barra announced Thursday. The automaker will go completely carbon neutral at all facilities worldwide by 2035.

Barra has frequently touted GM's plan for “an all-electric future,” recently increasing to 30 the number of pure battery-electric vehicles it will launch by the middle of this decade, but this marks the first time the largest Detroit automaker has set a hard target for completely phasing out gas and diesel engines for all light-duty vehicles, including pickups and SUVs.”
I suspect that the automaker has based their decision partly on pressure from political entities. It seems that the date you mentioned was mandated. Remember, batteries are not electrical generating devices, they are energy storage devices....that electricity has to be generated somewhere so to be stored. I think battery powered cars have a definite place in society, but maybe not for trucks, etc. Just my opinion.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonMaster View Post
I suspect that the automaker has based their decision partly on pressure from political entities. It seems that the date you mentioned was mandated. Remember, batteries are not electrical generating devices, they are energy storage devices....that electricity has to be generated somewhere so to be stored. I think battery powered cars have a definite place in society, but maybe not for trucks, etc. Just my opinion.
Yah. No idea. But it seems to be a worldwide phenomena so I don’t think any individual countries administration change will affect things much. If companies want to sell vehicles they’ll have to be electric. Having said that, I still think the 3/4 and 1 ton diesel applications are still going to need diesel. But who knows what technology is brewing. I reallly have no idea.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
You won’t find a gasser in a 45+ length. You will very few of them in a 40’ length. There is a reason for that. In addition, diesel MHs are heavier, sturdier, and generally built of more upscale components. If you want a MH <35’, you have decent gas options, but they are still noisier and harder to go up and down hills.

As for pickups, we had a Toyota Tundra as a tow vehicle for a 7000 pound GVWR trailer. It go 6-7 mpg, and it struggled. We swapped to a 3/4 ton diesel and never looked back. 8-10 mpg towing, exhaust brake, just moved up and down hills with easy. Yes, I know changing to a 3/4 ton gasser would have helped, but not so much in the up and down hills issue, and we lived in Utah at the time. We couldn’t go anywhere without mountains! If you have a smaller trailer, a gasser will be just fine. For real towing, diesel.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:28 PM   #36

Diesel vs gas. Ultimately it comes down to cost. Diesels are cheaper to own and operate over the life of the vehicle.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:46 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
Diesel vs gas. Ultimately it comes down to cost. Diesels are cheaper to own and operate over the life of the vehicle.
Being a sort of miser with my money, but liking my time in our MH, I have to politely disagree.

Just comparing 2 MH's of the same length, one diesel and one gas there is around $100,000.00 difference in list price. This is both from the same builder, and basic models.

And as far as I know, very, very few people have the same rig for it's entire lifetime. Most rigs have 3-4 or more owners during their lifetime.

If I use 20% more fuel in the gasser, how much difference will it be at EOL (End Of Life)? Not $100,000.00 I'm sure.

And that's not considering the maintenance costs with just normal use, like tires, oil and filters, lube and other consumables required.

If, and it's a big IF, you have the money and desire, a diesel will go farther without major repairs. (power train)
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 11-24-2021, 07:13 PM   #38

Why do trucks use diesel engines? Because they have lower operating costs. But if you're only going to use it occasionally as with a lot of RVs you may be right.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:38 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I have had both gasoline and diesel boats, trucks and RVs. Gasoline struggles at 40 foot and over in boats, 26 foot and over in MH’s and when towing heavy loads with PU trucks.
Light use and light loads gasoline all the way!!
Heavy loads, heavy use diesel!
Both are fun in an RV
Bylandorsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:00 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
Why do trucks use diesel engines? Because they have lower operating costs. But if you're only going to use it occasionally as with a lot of RVs you may be right.
I worked on trucks for 40 years, mostly engine work. If you can show me a gas engine that can do the work the diesel engines do, and last for close to a million miles, go ahead.

Sure gas engines can make big power, but not for long. Probably why a 600 hp/ 2,000 fp torque diesel engine weighs over 3,000 pounds. And they will make that power all day long at 1300 rpm. And those trucks are not cheap! Operating costs are high, but there is no other option. We aren't comparing apples to apples here, so IMHO a comparable size MH or PU will be cheaper to operate on gas than diesel over it's lifetime.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:55 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrow327 View Post
Given the complexity of diesel engines and especially emissions systems, along with the fact that gas engines of today are better than diesels of 15 to 20 years ago, why don't most people just tow with gas? You can always add a supercharger, turbos, tuner, etc. You can get a good axle ratio too for more torque. It seems like diesels are having tons of problems nowadays that you simply don't hear of from gas engines. Debate.
For me, there's one and only one reason I wish I had a diesel.
Accessible fueling stations.
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:04 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
For me, there's one and only one reason I wish I had a diesel.
Accessible fueling stations.
Gotta say. That is one thing we noticed when going from a 32 foot gasser to a 40 foot pusher. Easier fueling.

We had our pusher for 18 years and close to 160,000 km. I wouldn’t say it was expensive to maintain but definitely wasn’t cheap. No major failures. Still. In a smaller coach I would lean towards gas. We have switched to the little teardrop trailer approach for now. We’ll stick with that for a few years and see how it goes. Hit the little harder to get to spots for a bit.

Every fuel type has pluses and minuses. Pick what works for you.

Tags
gas