Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2008, 03:48 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by afrank1971:
Simple supply and demand, we drill and develop our own oil here in the US, that will put a lot more oil on the world market, driving the price down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Increased demand will out pace increased supply created from newly drilled wells.

What will bring down worldwide oil prices is a world wide recession. A world wide recession is a distinct possibility.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #30

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by afrank1971:
Simple supply and demand, we drill and develop our own oil here in the US, that will put a lot more oil on the world market, driving the price down. Plus, exponential side bonuses, domestic jobs, the money wouldn't go to foreign governments, some of which are obviously hostile to the US, and then our country (companies and employees) could also take advantage of China and India's expansion by selling our oil to them for a change (assuming we actually managed to produce more than we could consume at a given moment, perhaps a lofty goal). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me try to explain something to you. I will only use Utah although that is one of five states I am aware of. Ok Utah has 50 to 100 oil wells sitting capped. CAPPED!!! That means the oil is there ready to pump or flow. Its sitting capped because we have no place to refine it. We have no place to refine it. The same in these other states. The US ships oil to three other countries I know of to process oil to fuel. The US does not need foriegn oil but they need a place to refine it. Until we build refineries we cannot break that need. That is why we suffer these prices. Right now it seems that three locations in the US are going to go ahead and tell congress to kiss this and shoot enviromentalists if they get in the way and go ahead and build refineries. But it will take five years until even one of them come on line. I hope you will understand now what has to happen. This bit of china getting in first is a crock of scare tactics and nothing more IMHO.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #31

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Simple supply and demand, we drill and develop our own oil here in the US, that will put a lot more oil on the world market, driving the price down. Plus, exponential side bonuses, domestic jobs, the money wouldn't go to foreign governments, some of which are obviously hostile to the US, and then our country (companies and employees) could also take advantage of China and India's expansion by selling our oil to them for a change (assuming we actually managed to produce more than we could consume at a given moment, perhaps a lofty goal). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO what you are saying is nothing more than fear or a scare tactic.
There are five states that I know of that have oil wells sitting capped. CAPPED!!! Waiting for a place to refine the oil. They also are still drilling for oil in these states and capping them for the day when those refinery are built or we sell the oil to some other country. We need refineries and we could totally cut the strings to other countries for anyting dealing with oil. But until they come on line we suffer. IT will take five years to build one and bring it on line. There are three states/locations in the US telling congress and the enviromentalist to kiss this while they build refineries. Sadly we bite the bullet for five more years until they come on line and than maybe even than we wil bite the bullet until we can cut the opec strings. That is if we cut that string. We have more oil in any one of three states in the US to last us 100 more years and than some.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:12 AM   #32

I rarely read about the great benefits to individual states that this increase has been.

This from the AP this morning.

"California, which has the highest gas tax in the nation according to a survey by the American Petroleum Institute, would rake in $5 billion this year if the price at the pump remains at $4 a gallon. That's more than double the $2.1 billion the state took in gasoline tax revenue in 2003, state revenue officials said".

Link

If the states are reaping such benefits does it sound logical that they would want to reduce their income?

I guess there are more people making a bunch from all this then we think.

Me thinks there is a "Plan" afoot and a "Goal" but I can't seem to figure out exactly what or who is at the helm.

What state, in their right mind, would reject $5 BILLION dollars of income, to be spread among their cronies, and oh yes, the people.

If only we knew what our "elected officials" think and about their constituents. I think we are but "Sheep" to them.
Look how easily we are lead. It feels so good when I stop.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:09 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">MtManLee wrote:
IMHO what you are saying is nothing more than fear or a scare tactic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must have missed something, or don't quite see the angle at which you read my post, I don't see nor did I intend any kind of "fear or scare tactic"? Admittedly, my "simple supply and demand" statement is over simplyfied, there are lots of issues and numerous factors affecting the price of oil, supply being only one. The largest factor seems to be speculation, speculation that world demand will continue to outpace world supply. It's a bubble, just like any other boom, it will bust. Increasing supply by drilling our own will help to burst that bubble sooner than later and serve a portion of our economy in the process (corporate profits as well as employee salaries). Lack of refining capacity is another problem here in the US, and we need to reign in the environmentalists a bit so that we can get back up to speed as a nation. Going green is great, but it's not going to happen overnight, we have to keep the country rolling until the replacement, whatever that may be, can be developed and put in place. Now, capped wells? I had never heard of that one, but there are many things I've never heard of, doesn't make them any less true. Probably a result of some legislation preventing them from selling it overseas? If not, I don't see why they'd be sitting on it, it certainly does not cost $140 a barrel to pull if out of the ground, so why not sell it internationally if we don't have the refining capacity to deal with it. Just my thoughts, I'm certainly no expert on the issue. Just seems if we have the energy sources domestically, why do we continue to depend on foreign sources, especially when there are environmentally responsible ways (other than doing nothing) to go about it.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:25 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">$5 billion this year if the price at the pump remains at $4 a gallon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why would they rake in more just because the price is $4? As the article quoted states, the gas tax is based on "per gal" not a percentage of sales. All over the U.S. gas usage is being reported as down due to folks not filling up as often, and public transportation is on the rise.

This would indicate less gallons being sold which means less money for the states.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:35 AM   #35
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
From the link;
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The roughly three dozen states that use only a flat tax on gas may face declining revenues as motorists pinched by high fuel prices try to drive less.

In the dozen or so states where the tax is tied, at least in part, to the price at the pump, the skyrocketing of gas prices has meant an unexpected windfall.

California, which has the highest gas tax in the nation according to a survey by the American Petroleum Institute, would rake in $5 billion this year if the price at the pump remains at $4 a gallon. That's more than double the $2.1 billion the state took in gasoline tax revenue in 2003, state revenue officials said. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:42 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
You gotta love California! Oh, wait, I live here!! @*$&!!
Old 06-09-2008, 06:08 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lwmuddy:

What state, in their right mind, would reject $5 BILLION dollars of income, to be spread among their cronies, and oh yes, the people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most state fuel/gas taxes go directly to highway construction/maintenance.

-Tom

Old 06-09-2008, 08:30 AM   #38

So how come so many road are so bad? OR,
why aren't the roads better.

They're are just too many ideas floating around as to why, who is responsibe for this mess.
Just filled up (13 Gallons) for $50.10. (Malibu 38 mpg Highway)
We will try to make this last 2 weeks.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lwmuddy:
So how come so many road are so bad? OR,
why aren't the roads better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not enough money for proper maintenance. Costs are astronomical. Coincidently, most of the highway wear and damage is caused by tractor trailer trucks. Move freight to the railroads will save oil and $$s for everyone.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #40

We went through this in the 70s until the oil companies were allowed to drill in Alaska. Now "our" Alaskan oil is sent to the Pacific Rim countries because Alaska was crying the blues during the early 90s. ($10/barrel in 1992) The high price of oil has not stopped our shipments overseas. I drew this to the attention of my Congressman, Dick Shamkus, and he blew me off. Oil wells in my neighborhood are not being pumped until the price of oil goes up. The high oil prices also justify the pipe line for the tar sands in Canada. I do not worry about a recession but a depression.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #41

Check this out http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/06/news...tune/index.htm
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Paul B, read that article in your link. "Forced conservation" really scares me, especially considering the carbon footprint of transporting oil across the world.

Crickey!

Brenda, of...