Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevechris View Post
When I travel I always look for Costco, Sams Club or ARCO to fill up my workhorse gas coach. Can anyone explain why I should buy gas from the major stations instead of these less expensive stations. All of the pumps say that they have top tier gas. My coach seems to have plenty of power and makes no noise. I don't want to be a gallon wise but dollars foolish:
When I'm home, I buy 95% of my gas at the local Farmers Co-Op, which has 2 diesel choices and one gas, 87 octane mid grade. Since the price is usually about the same as regular elsewhere, it's a no-brainer for me. Out on the road I buy gas wherever I need it, and don't worry about it.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
Out on the road I buy gas wherever I need it, and don't worry about it.
I agree. I get 5% back with my credit card.

My pick up get 9mpg when towing and 13 in the city (not towing) so cost wise, it doesn't make much sense to drive out of my way to save a few cents.

That is one reason why I use Amazon Prime a lot. When you add in the cost of driving to a store to buy something, Amazon is lower in cost. I also, like the videos - you can download them over wifi and then watch them while boondocking.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our local Costco got diesel pumps a couple months ago, even the truckers are filling up. Last time I was in there were two running bobtail fueling up. Not sure how easy it will be to get my 45' rig in but the fuel is cheaper.
The store is out of my normal driving area so I don't always get gas there but I've had no problems with it when I do.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
All the gas is pretty much the same when it leaves the refinery. What sets apart branded versus unbranded gasoline is the detergent or additive package that is injected into the gasoline before it heads to the branded station. If you drive a high performance vehicle, then you'll want to stick to top tier gas, especially as more engines switch over to direct injection to meet CAFE requirements.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
All the gas is pretty much the same when it leaves the refinery. What sets apart branded versus unbranded gasoline is the detergent or additive package that is injected into the gasoline before it heads to the branded station. If you drive a high performance vehicle, then you'll want to stick to top tier gas, especially as more engines switch over to direct injection to meet CAFE requirements.
I had been a "gas snob" for a long time, but when a nice new Quick Trip opened in a very convienient location, I gave in and decided to try it in both our Cherokee and BMW 135. Wrong answer...... In a fairly short period of time, only using QT gas, it seemed idle at start up was not smooth on either of them, so much so, my wife even wondered if something was wrong with the BMW. Went back to BP/Chevron/Texaco/Mobil/Shell and very quickly, in a couple tanks, all was good again on both.

Wth the gas Class A, I'm not quite as picky when traveling given the nuance of getting in/out with a toad, but I do try to find BP/Chevron/Texaco/Mobil/Shell etc. if possible. But at times, it's Flying J or something else just because it's the easiest while on the road.

I had a 2000 Audi A6 that didn't seem to run well on anything but Sunoco 94 octane. Too bad, you can't get it in GA...........

High quality gas with the detergents the major brands use, can certainly make a big difference..........

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #20

Will I fit?

I'd love to save money on a fillup,but my choice on where to fill up is pretty much dictated by room to pull in, and leave with a 38 ft. motorhome with a toad, and not have to back up. That usually means finding an interstate and a truck stop when it's fueling time. Often when still half full since I often prefer the scenic route.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
When on the road I look at Gas Buddy and pick best in out convenient location. If you drive 10 miles to get fuel out of your traveled way you have just burned your savings. At home I have two or three favorites and get fuel there on the way in or out. HAVE a couple of the build to $1 off a gallon places and IF handy use them.

LEN
Old 02-24-2017, 07:30 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We, too, choose our fueling locations based on ease of getting the coach in and out.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:40 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
I had been a "gas snob" for a long time, but when a nice new Quick Trip opened in a very convienient location, I gave in and decided to try it in both our Cherokee and BMW 135. Wrong answer...... In a fairly short period of time, only using QT gas, it seemed idle at start up was not smooth on either of them, so much so, my wife even wondered if something was wrong with the BMW. Went back to BP/Chevron/Texaco/Mobil/Shell and very quickly, in a couple tanks, all was good again on both.

Wth the gas Class A, I'm not quite as picky when traveling given the nuance of getting in/out with a toad, but I do try to find BP/Chevron/Texaco/Mobil/Shell etc. if possible. But at times, it's Flying J or something else just because it's the easiest while on the road.

I had a 2000 Audi A6 that didn't seem to run well on anything but Sunoco 94 octane. Too bad, you can't get it in GA...........

High quality gas with the detergents the major brands use, can certainly make a big difference..........

Regards
Back in the 80's, just about the time people started talking about top tier gas, I had a BMW that started idling rough. Once you put your foot on the gas it smoothed out. Turns out the valves had become coated with gunk which disrupted air flow at low RPM and I had to have the valves blasted with crushed walnut shells to remove it. It cost me $1300 which was an outrageous repair in 1988. I learned my lesson then and have only bought gas with Techron in it since.

Newer engines are going to direct injection to maximize performance and fuel economy. Fuel doesn't wash over the valves in these engines since fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber and there is some concern about how they will fare over time. I would definitely only use top tier fuels in these engines.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:19 AM   #24

Agree. Most of our trips are destination related rather than wandering, so I tend to fuel on our route rather than searching for bargain gas. I do check prices, occasionally use gas buddy to see what is available and will certainly make a small detour if is justified - mostly during an overnight stop or beginning / end of a trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
... If you drive 10 miles to get fuel out of your traveled way you have just burned your savings....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
We fill where it is convenient. We use Gas Buddy and will drive farther down the road or fuel earlier depending upon the prices we see posted.

Going into some service stations can be problematic. Trying to save a few cents by going into a mom and pop can be rapidly offset by a scrape with a post.

Like the drive straight in to the pumps with well organized traffic flow, fill up with everyone going the same way, and drive out with lots of room.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevechris View Post
When I travel I always look for Costco, Sams Club or ARCO to fill up my workhorse gas coach. Can anyone explain why I should buy gas from the major stations instead of these less expensive stations. All of the pumps say that they have top tier gas. My coach seems to have plenty of power and makes no noise. I don't want to be a gallon wise but dollars foolish:
Inside info on gas.

It all leaves the refinery (usually via pipeline) the same. Unleaded is unleaded at this point. Diesel is diesel.

Once it arrives at the terminals for distribution it is stored from the pipeline into storage tanks. There are fill up lanes similar to a truck stop but with equipment suited to tankers. Also in storage tanks are the various additives used by different brands at the retail level. It is here the difference comes into play.

Nearly all of them have some sort of detergents in them. Octane levels are set at this time too. Some brands have more additives than others that offer slightly better performance and cleaner burning, but if you are performing maintenance as you should be there is little difference to offset the price. Also the majors spend money on ads telling you how superior their fuel is. That ads to the price as well.

Bottom line, if your vehicle runs well on Costco/Arco fuel there is no need to pay more. If you have detonation up the octane not the brand. But you also might look into some head work, you may have excess deposits on your valves from bogging your engine down and never running at hwy speeds for extended periods. You may also have a timing issue. High compression engines can also detonate esp in hot weather on low octane fuel.

There it is. All you really need to know about pump gas. Change your dang oil.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #27

Thanks to all for your replies. I will continue to shop for the best value.
stevechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #28

To some extent, the sensitivity to fuel is an engine / component size related question.

Smaller, high performance engines that are being pushed hard in every direction to maximize performance and fuel economy are definitely more sensitive to the fuel and detergent package.

Engines in cargo ships burn fuel pretty similar to heated road tar, which is why cities near ports end up having very tight air emission restrictions on everyone else to meet the EPA standards.

RVs and to some extent light trucks are somewhere in-between when it comes to deposits.

I try to use a high end fuel like union 76 or equivalent at least every 4 tanks on the larger engine vehicles and every tank on smaller engine vehicles. Fuel injection and valve related work is quite expensive.
harryn is offline   Reply With Quote