Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2008, 04:18 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're at James Island Campground in Charleston and a ferocious storm woke us at 5:00 AM. About the time we realized it was not just another thunderstorm, an EMS vehicle came through the park telling folks to take cover ASAP (could really not hear what they were saying but we got the idea). DW, me and the pooch ran through the rain and hail to the closest bath house and joined other campers. A tornado touched down 1/2 mile from the campground. We continue to have severe storm warnings through the day.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2008, 04:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
We're at James Island Campground in Charleston and a ferocious storm woke us at 5:00 AM. About the time we realized it was not just another thunderstorm, an EMS vehicle came through the park telling folks to take cover ASAP (could really not hear what they were saying but we got the idea). DW, me and the pooch ran through the rain and hail to the closest bath house and joined other campers. A tornado touched down 1/2 mile from the campground. We continue to have severe storm warnings through the day.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Glad to hear no injuries were experienced. We went through the same storms last night as well. We have been very luck this year with many tornadoes not far away. I am hoping to find another job in an area less vulnerable to this kind of weather. Been looking at the Knoxville to Chaganooga area closer to the mountains.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:53 AM   #4

The important thing is that you were not hurt. We ran into the same situation years ago in Myrtle Beach. I don't remember the year but we were at Pirate Land and the storm came through in the afternoon. We actually watched the funnel touch down and ran to the bath houses.

The straight line winds that came through with the storm were incredible. I think there was a total of three tornado touchdowns that summer day in Myrtle Beach one in the down town area if my memory is correct.

Lost the awning and the inverter on the TT that day, but they can be replaced.

Glad to here you made it through OK.
Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank goodness it was only a close call.

Anyone who spends any amount of time living in an RV needs to have an All-Hazards Radio similar to those advertised here.

It only makes sense to get as much advanced warning as possible - especially in the overnight hours.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gary;

Glad to read that you and DW are OK. I miss my basement when I travel. Those storms are really scary. I hope the rest of your trip goes much better.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
We did go out today and get one of the auto alert weather radios.

So, today we had a repeat performance. Severe storms spawned another tornado alert sending everyone in the campground scampering to the bath houses. There were two reported small tornadoes just west and south of the campground. We got 2" of rain in about 30 minutes.

Improved weather returns (hopefully) tonite and tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
My wife bought an alert radio last winter in FL. (I have three other weather radios in the coach, in dash, in CB and a Uniden scanner). The alert radio went off twice. After seeing Par The Course's wind damage I prayed and put the awning up.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote