Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #1

Will not run generator and 110 from the garage at the same time

For the record, my 2013 Thor ACE 30.1
Will not run generator and 110 from the garage at the same, it will blow breaker in the garage and will blow breaker at generator. I swear I read that generators rule in this case, and there should be no issue. Hum? Any feed back would be GREAT!
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You have a problem in your transfer switch........shore power contactor is no dropping out when the generator is running........sounds like.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc View Post
For the record, my 2013 Thor ACE 30.1
Will not run generator and 110 from the garage at the same, it will blow breaker in the garage and will blow breaker at generator. I swear I read that generators rule in this case, and there should be no issue. Hum? Any feed back would be GREAT!
Are you running generator with the 110 plugged in. ..? If so your asking for trouble, good way to fry your transfer switch

Most 110 outlets won't run a ac, your generator should by itself though without the 110 plugged in

Some motorhomes generators rule some shore power rules from my understanding

Since your only tripping breakers your ts is probably still ok

Run generator by itself and see if all is well
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Your auto-transfer switch isn't transferring. It is supposed to switch over to genset-only and disconnect from shore power as soon as the genset starts. It needs to be fixed.

In the meantime, unplug the shore cord from the outlet before starting the genset.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
YC1

Without knowing your transfer switch I can only tell you about mine.

If the generator is started there is a time delay in the transfer switch. My transfer switch is set up to favor the generator power. After a couple of minutes to allow the generator to warm and settle it will switch.

However, it is not a good idea to let it switch like this if you have loads such as an AC running. It can easily trip the breakers on things.

As for the house breaker, if it is a GFCI there are many reasons that make it trip.

One should not have heavy loads while transferring. These simple transfer boxes are not designed to take heavy switching loads. Sure they can and do but not advisable

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:56 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
30 amp or 50 amp coach? It makes a difference concerning the way forward.

Tags
generator