Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #1

Will not start

Hey all,
I need some big help, please! It has been colder than a well diggers butt for the past 4 or 5 days. My batteries are constantly dying and when I do get them charge the unit will not start.
I do not have any documentation for the Discovery and I downloaded a user manual from Fleetwood. The manual speaks of a block heater but it only states that it works when the shore cord is plugged in. I have no way to plug in the shore. Is there another way to get the block heater on?
Also, this morning, I tried to crank the Discovery and the starter continued to turn even after the ignition switch was off and key removed. Why would that happen?
I am desperate because this is my first RV and I am not sure I want to have an RV anymore.
As always, any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Chuck
chuckc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

If you can't plug into shore power then what has been powering the coach and charging the batteries?

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Somehow you need to start the generator and charge the batteries. Stuck Starter solenoid is from the cold, you need to warn things up, maybe a portable kerosine heater blowing under the coach will thaw things out.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #4

I keep a battery charger on the batteries. It has a trickle charge feature. We had not had a sustained cold like this and I usually crank the unit once a day and allow the engine to charge the batteries and come to temperature. Yesterday trying to get it cranked killed the batteries.
We have been below freezing for multiple days. I have a diesel pickup that has a pigtail for the manifold heater. I keep it plugged in all the time. The discovery has a block heater that is, according to manual, is plugged in to a receptacle somewhere. The receptacle is controlled by a switch located beside the bed. I am only assuming it is 110VAC. I have no information to verify the voltage. Would anyone know where this receptacle might be located?

What are you suggesting in a kerosene heater?
Old 02-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Chuck, if you have 120VAC there for the tricklecharger then why don't you use a "dogbone" adapter and keep the RV plugged in?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
A trickle charger is not adequate to recharge batteries if you start the engine once a day. You need a substantial battery charger to do this. My block heater switch is located by the main electrical panel.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #7

Chuckc15,
What year is your Discovery? Model? I see you are in Colorado, and I can imagine how cold it is.

If you have 120 volt supply, as you indicated, plug the coach in and let the battery charging system charge the batteries. They will charge faster and more complete even having a trickle charging system built in. It is very important to keep the batteries charged in very cold weather to keep them from freezing.

In my discovery, a 2006, the engine heater switch is below the left side of the bed near the fuse boxes. When we had the 1997 Discovery the switch
was on the right side of the bed and it was mounted on the bedside cabinet.
On my 06 Discovery the plug is under the bed on the floor, but in our 97 Discovery it was under the floor near the battery compartment.

However, I advise you to leave it off until the batteries are fully charged. A extension cord will be overwhelmed trying to charge the batteries and run the block heater. My block heater uses about 10 amps.

Don't give up. This problem is solvable. Keep us posted.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
chuckc15 said:
"I am desperate because this is my first RV and I am not sure I want to have an RV anymore."

Had to laugh when I read that. Believe me there are a ton of people on here who have thought that more than once, including me.

Just remember..... This too shall pass.

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1 .Click "User CP" on left side of the screen in about the middle.
2. Click "Edit Signature" on left side 7 bars down under Your Control Panel.
3. Fill out your signature information.
4. Click "Save Signature"
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #9
YC1

Chuck,
Welcome to the forum.

Hang in there the learning curve on one of these monsters is very steep.

Adding cold to the equation is worse.

Look in the manual and find the section on the built in battery charger. They may call it the Converter/Inverter.

I suspect you may be able to adjust the charger output so you can use the extension cord and adaptors to get power inside your rv.

You must get those batteries charged fully or you will continue to be frustrated.

The HEART of an RV is the battery systems.

As mentioned, IF you can get the generator started let that thing run all night if needed. While it is running read the section of the operator manual on where and how the block heater is run.

Do NOT use any starting fluids to try and start it. You can disassemble the engine doing that.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone for there suggestions! Please bear with me , I am really not as dumb as I am sounding!
The manual is somewhat vague about the charging system and the block heater. More like a mention of these devices.
It is a 1998 36T Discovery. In the battery compartment, the inverter is on the left and the batteries are located on the right. There is also a male, 2-prong with ground pigtail. There is no mention of this in the manual. Is it safe to assume, this is where I can connect an extension cord to charge the batteries and power the block heater?
There is also a switch on this inverter that currently is in the OFF position. Not sure why it is off or how it came to be in the off position. If it will make it simpler, I can send pictures. I think I can attach photos!
Unfortunately, the remote tank is out of gas disabling the generator. That is why I went to my battery charger. It will do a full charge but because the engine does not fire, it does not take much to run them down. It was going in for service Wednesday morning, and have the remote tank fill tube replaced to fill the remote tank. It has more holes than swiss cheese!
Old 02-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #11

If I'm understanding, you start the engine daily to charge the batteries. However, its too cold to start the engine and the chassis battery is dead. Generator doesn't work, but you do has some voltage left in the coach batteries to run the inverter. Using the inverter to run the block heater and charge the chassis battery will drain the coach batteries leaving you without heat in a cold like a well diggers butt.

Sounds like the race is on now. Will the engine start before the coach batteries drain? Place your bets.

I can't help with the "2-pronged with ground typical pigtail". However; the link to the owners manual below was found on the fleetwood webpage. It may be the as the manual you've already downloaded. According to the manual, in the bay just behind the driver side rear wheels, is where shore power will go into your RV. It may be a large outlet like the photo shown in Chapter 6 which means you should have a cord that will plug into it and an external electric source. Or, there may be a cord wired directly with a large 30 amp plug like an electric dryer would use. As long as there is a cord, plug it into an external electric source and it will charge your batteries and provide 120 volt power to the outlets instead of the inverter.

https://www.fleetwoodrv.com/resource..._DISCOVERY.pdf

In a 30 amp plug, the ground is L shaped and the other 2 prongs are angled away from each other. The external source would have to have the same configuration in a receptacle or you can purchase an adapter that will convert the 30 amp plug to a "2-pronged with ground typical" plug.

External electricity can come from:
1. power pole next to your coach
2. an extension cord to a neighbor kind enough to run their generator to charge your batteries
3. a rented or purchased external generator
4. a roadside assistance service with an onboard generator.

Once external power is established, you're coach will take care of charging the batteries and will energize the outlet the block heater should be plugged into (page 03-18).

Good luck.
Cliff
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc15 View Post
Thanks to everyone for there suggestions! Please bear with me , I am really not as dumb as I am sounding!
The manual is somewhat vague about the charging system and the block heater. More like a mention of these devices.
It is a 1998 36T Discovery. In the battery compartment, the inverter is on the left and the batteries are located on the right. There is also a male, 2-prong with ground pigtail. There is no mention of this in the manual. Is it safe to assume, this is where I can connect an extension cord to charge the batteries and power the block heater?
There is also a switch on this inverter that currently is in the OFF position. Not sure why it is off or how it came to be in the off position. If it will make it simpler, I can send pictures. I think I can attach photos!
Unfortunately, the remote tank is out of gas disabling the generator. That is why I went to my battery charger. It will do a full charge but because the engine does not fire, it does not take much to run them down. It was going in for service Wednesday morning, and have the remote tank fill tube replaced to fill the remote tank. It has more holes than swiss cheese!
Your 98 Discovery is a lot like my 97 was. Lets see ifI can help you. Remember, we lost our loved 1997 Discovery 11 years ago, so everything I say is from memory.

First a question, if you please:
Do you have access to electricity from your house, garage or other? What is the maximum amperage is that supply? 15 amps? 20 amps? 30?

Now for the block heater. In the picture I am posting, see that cord and plug laying on top of the inverter? That is the block heater plug. The outlet is just above it in the compartment ceiling. Your block heater switch is, as I said, in previous post, located in the night stand on the right hand side of the bed. This switch will be illuminated when the heater is off, and the light will go out when the block heater is activated. I know, I know it sounds backwards, but true. A lot of block heater elements burn out over time. Also sometimes an GIF outlet may have problems with a block heater.

The plug for the coach supply should be right below the turquoise colored inverter. It will be a thick cable. My guess is you will need a converter plug to go from 30 amp to 15 amp.

You will need to make sure the battery switches are turned on so charging can take place. That turquoise colored inverter will automatically start charging the batteries, starting with the house batteries, and when they are charged, it will switch to the engine starting batteries and charge them.

Generator....your coach most likely has a liquid propane generator up front. It uses liquid propane sucked from the bottom of the large tank, then converts it to vapor inside the actual generator.

You mentioned the tank, or tube was full of holes. Curious, how do you know this? Who is making repairs. Make sure they know the generator is a liquid fueled generator.

In general, don't start the big diesel engine unless you plan to drive the coach. The turquoise colored inverter will charge the batteries. I leave my coach on a 15 amp outlet all the time when the coach is not in use.

If you have any questions, please ask
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BigD Isolation Relay 008.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	192111  
Old 02-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #13

My 2 cents. The block heater should be a 110 volt grounded male end wire and hard to believe this is only energized by shore power. Your generator should have 110 outlets. Take an extension cord from the generator and run it to the block heater wire. Get the generator running and get a 110 v battery charger from a Walmart or Harbor Freight. Hook up to the batteries to the charger. I always have a charger with my camper to keep the batteries charged when parked somewhere but you need the generator to run the 110 v charger.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall729 View Post
My 2 cents. The block heater should be a 110 volt grounded male end wire and hard to believe this is only energized by shore power. Your generator should have 110 outlets. Take an extension cord from the generator and run it to the block heater wire. Get the generator running and get a 110 v battery charger from a Walmart or Harbor Freight. Hook up to the batteries to the charger. I always have a charger with my camper to keep the batteries charged when parked somewhere but you need the generator to run the 110 v charger.
The block heater will energize with the generator. No extension cords needed. However the OP can't start the generator because of a problem with the fuel tank. He also has either 4 or 6 batteries to charge (2 - 12 volt starting batteries, and either 2 or 4 - 6 volt batteries for the "house" needs. His coach already has a 100+- amp built in multi stage charger. He just has to be able to use it.