Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #15

how can folks be 'forced into RVs' ?? that's a little ridiculous - if someone 'wants' to buy an RV, I certainly don't think it's because someone is 'forcing' them to!

if you making a statement that folks that can't afford a house or an apartment must therefore buy an rv, and live in an rv park - then what wrong with that? Isn't an rv just another home? Why are you making it sound negative? I highly doubt that most folks in 'trouble' are thinking of buying an rv to get around a financially sad situation. There are many folks living in homes, supplemented by the government, and paying a lot less than buying an rv and paying rv park monthly rates, if anything. And there's a lot more of them available.

also, most states don't have any 'oil workers' you refer to, as though they alone are somehow causing a shortage of rv parks and campgrounds.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #16

but seriously, let's have a drink and agree to disagree... it's all fun!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:45 PM   #17

I'm not a full time RVer and according to the DW, I never will be. We like to go out for a week or two at a time. We normally stay at State and Federal campgrounds. Most of those don't have sewer hookups so we normally don't stay in one place more than 5 days. Dump the tanks and on to the next campground. Most State and Federal campgrounds limit your stay to 2 weeks anyway. That keeps out the long term homesteaders.

I think with dissappearance of pensions, a lot of folks have found themselves at retirement age with no income but SS. A lack of personal retirement planning has them painted into a corner and living full time in an RV is their best option.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
I'm not a full time RVer and according to the DW, I never will be. We like to go out for a week or two at a time. We normally stay at State and Federal campgrounds. Most of those don't have sewer hookups so we normally don't stay in one place more than 5 days. Dump the tanks and on to the next campground. Most State and Federal campgrounds limit your stay to 2 weeks anyway. That keeps out the long term homesteaders.

I think with dissappearance of pensions, a lot of folks have found themselves at retirement age with no income but SS. A lack of personal retirement planning has them painted into a corner and living full time in an RV is their best option.
I've been searching around and a lot of the state and engineer parks sites are filled during the week here. This is cold weather here so I doubt they are all casual campers. It might be workers who move around a lot and plan their camping better then I do. I'm terrible at planning. I like to just go where the wim takes me.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:46 PM   #19

A lot of the COE parks are still closed. They won't open up until about May 1st. I think all of the Ga. State parks are open year round except Black Rock State Park.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:46 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
You left out the biggest reason "RV Parks" with vacancies are harder and harder to find, especially in the south: Retirees who thought Uncle Sam had their back with Social Security and Medicare have found the only place they can afford to live is in a "small trailer" trailer park.
If only uncle sam spent more time planning for someone else's retirement.....
Old 03-25-2018, 08:51 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
A lot of the COE parks are still closed. They won't open up until about May 1st. I think all of the Ga. State parks are open year round except Black Rock State Park.
This is the real problem i think. We stay at Sawnee campground for a week in early June even thought we live in Atlanta, we just drive into the office to work. It's dead during the week. Once, Sunday afternoon rolls around after check out time it's 25% full at best. We had the entire peninsula to ourselves looking out over lake lanier it was nice!
Old 03-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My observation is that there are many more people who have RVs. Just in my neighbor hood there is at least 5 that was not there a year ago. When I first started camping it was easy to get a state park campsite, but today you must get your campsite 6 months in advance. Same with most of the COE campgrounds. Of course other things that make state park campgrounds and COE campgrounds is the price. If you are a senior and you get their discounts it is a good value. Being in the winter time we find it very hard to find campsites here in Florida. But as the weather gets warmer up north things open up for us. I belong to a Good Sam Chapter and we camp as a group during the winter months and it is getting very hard to get reservations for a group at a decent price, and we must have at least 10 rigs or we get no discounted rate.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:31 AM   #23

anyway you CAN work out staying at this park? I would explain my troubles and maybe they can do something for you....have they tried to work with you at all? just wondering.

booking for us has kinda always been the same thru all the 20 plus years we have been camping.

It was forever hard to get into the Key West state parks! fight tooth and nail for those small amt of coveted spots in prime time, or ANY time LOL
It was hard to get beach sites cause heck everyone wants them and these are not 250 plus site places, they are small state parks and have always been capacity filled for a long time.

now other cgs in touristy areas, we have had the same troubles....but once ya get out of the touristy and big old city areas we have found booking and just rolling on a whim and getting cg sites with almost no problems.

I am booking up our sites for this year and have gotten our dates easily. Location is truly key to how hard it will be in getting that good cg.....thing is there are cgs all around and there are cgs ya wanna stay at

best of luck in finding what will work for you
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:43 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The industry is cyclical. The economy is booming right now, people are buying RV's like never before. A lot of Boomers retiring.
But the economy will eventually falter, as it always does. When that happens, the pendulum will swing the other way. There will be tons of RV's on the market, some manufacturers will fail, debt will be called in and campgrounds/RV parks will likely see a reduction in occupancy. Maybe not so much in popular destination areas like the Keys, and weekends will still be difficult to book due to locals, but overall I think the RV industry and those dependent on it will see it balance out in the end. It's happened many times before and it will happen again.
Don't mean to be gloomy, it's just an historical reality.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly View Post
anyway you CAN work out staying at this park? I would explain my troubles and maybe they can do something for you....have they tried to work with you at all? just wondering.

booking for us has kinda always been the same thru all the 20 plus years we have been camping.

It was forever hard to get into the Key West state parks! fight tooth and nail for those small amt of coveted spots in prime time, or ANY time LOL
It was hard to get beach sites cause heck everyone wants them and these are not 250 plus site places, they are small state parks and have always been capacity filled for a long time.

now other cgs in touristy areas, we have had the same troubles....but once ya get out of the touristy and big old city areas we have found booking and just rolling on a whim and getting cg sites with almost no problems.

I am booking up our sites for this year and have gotten our dates easily. Location is truly key to how hard it will be in getting that good cg.....thing is there are cgs all around and there are cgs ya wanna stay at

best of luck in finding what will work for you

Yes, I asked and they said no. I can respect that. Where I am now is a very nice place and I can tell there aren't any long time residents. The park is operated on a lease they are afraid of losing by braking the rules.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Yes, I asked and they said no. I can respect that. Where I am now is a very nice place and I can tell there aren't any long time residents. The park is operated on a lease they are afraid of losing by braking the rules.
darn, what about the 'leave for 7 days' and come back kinda thing
heck I can reserve you a spot under my name if needed LOL, I bet there is someway to get ya into that same park......well that wouldn't be right I guess but I swear if management would just work with you....literally such a shame they will not work with you. Sorry for the troubles on this!
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
The industry reported 6.3 million....MILLION units sold in 2017. How many new campgrounds came on line? I have no idea, but I promise you it was less than that. And the industry reports large yearly growth for the the last 6 or 7 years.
So yea, finding a place to park it is only going to get worse.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:07 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I wish I could talk my heart into selling.....hot market, more baby boomers retiring.....best time to sell, financially. .

Tags
led, rving