Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 08:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That's a joke right?

Was wondering the same thing. Lol
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 08:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
Would love to see a manufacturer offer a rig with something attached to block the wind from hitting the vehicle.

Example - When you are heading West and getting a southern wind you could have a tarp suspended out about as far as the mirrors. Runs the whole lengths of the rig.

The rig is sitting nice and cozy in the slipstream.

As long as it doesn't make the rig too wide.

On the water I would call that a sail!
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:36 PM   #17

I've had cabover campers, TT's, and now a 31 ft class A motorhome. By far the worst in crosswinds were teh cabovers, they can be just evil in the wind. the TT's will always tell you about crosswinds and shake yer tail, the toybox was the closest to being unaffected by the wind as long as I had a car in it. I've also towed large (24-28ft) box trucks with a medium duty wrecker, and a sudden crosswind with those was white-knuckle seat clenching fun. When we first got Big Blue passing trucks were white knuckle, then I discovered the right front air bag (OE P32) remote fill kit was leaking and the bag had moved. I repaired the leak and re-positioned the bag and now I only feel the worst of winds. Once I get the new coilover shocks in it should get even better.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:44 AM   #18

My personal experience. At the time we traveled in a 1996 Dodge CTD towing a 30' Dutchmen 5er. We were driving West on I 80 approx. 30 miles from Des Moines IA when we began experiencing strong gusts from the South.
I was following a DP MH that was towing a Jeep Universal and noticed the wind pushing the MH around, their Jeep would often get pushed outside the white line lane marker and I would get rocked.
A particularly strong gust caused the MH to pull over onto the berm, and I followed.
We both did a walk-around, I discovered a bedroom window had been blown away from our 5er, the MH found no damage other than a windshield wiper missing.
We both continued to Des Moines at approx, 45 MPH until the wind gusts subsided.
I would not have stopped had I not been following that MH as I didn't think the wind was bad.
Having been in strong wind gusts with our MH, I can confidently state I felt safer in our truck N 5er than I have in our MH in strong side-wind gusts.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
In the Midwest we see many more towables than motorhomes. Many times we stay in a 80 spot state park campground and we will be the only MH there. Occasionally we will see a Class C, but nothing compared to the number of TT and 5ers. That is just the preference in the Midwest.
We are in Nebraska and there’s only one other MH. Due to the windy conditions no one is on the lake so we drove our toad around to explore. There are several private RV parks and it looks like lots of people just keep a 5er here permanently and maybe just come on the weekends. There were only a couple MHs in the other COE campground. It just seemed to me with all the 5ers and the miles of open land and often windy conditions that maybe it was easier to drive for them. Now that I see what’s happening my guess is most of these people don’t travel very far so maybe wind isn’t a factor. Probably easier for them to have a pickup and 5er than a MH & toad.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
On our drive today it was very windy. It was a relatively short drive of about 160 miles, but strong cross winds for about half of it. We only saw a couple other motorhomes, but lots of fifth wheelers. Is it easier for 5ers in strong wind? Or do they not notice it because of being in a smaller truck, but the 5er itself would feel more like what we experience in the MH?

We’re now at a COE campground in Nebraska and are the only motorhome here. Almost all 5ers and only a couple TTs.
I have an old class C motorhome and drove in 100km winds in the winter. Semis in the ditch and everything. That was a wild ride but I did make it to the next town that had no power 😂.
R0ughhab1tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:33 PM   #21

Now hear me out. I was out west years ago and there was not much wind.

You know what else there wasn't much of? Wind turbines.

Now those turbines spin fast and keep getting bigger. I see more and more posts about wind every year. I think the government has sold us a bill of goods (that's the nice way of putting it).

Those gigantic turbines are pushing the air across the country. You know how California is doing everything to get rid of smog? Why not push some air across the plains? IT will pull nice fresh air into the smog areas and push the smog air across the plains.

This has been covered up of years. California is a huge voting block. They want their smog outta there.

Just saying... If it walks like a duck...

Sad part is who's the victim here? The hard working Rvers. Breathing smog and getting their rigs blown all around.

Stay safe out there. Oh - how come the turbines are always within site of the roads? Wouldn't it make more sense to put them out where no one can see them?

think about it.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Now hear me out. I was out west years ago and there was not much wind.

You know what else there wasn't much of? Wind turbines.

Now those turbines spin fast and keep getting bigger. I see more and more posts about wind every year. I think the government has sold us a bill of goods (that's the nice way of putting it).

Those gigantic turbines are pushing the air across the country. You know how California is doing everything to get rid of smog? Why not push some air across the plains? IT will pull nice fresh air into the smog areas and push the smog air across the plains.

This has been covered up of years. California is a huge voting block. They want their smog outta there.

Just saying... If it walks like a duck...

Sad part is who's the victim here? The hard working Rvers. Breathing smog and getting their rigs blown all around.

Stay safe out there. Oh - how come the turbines are always within site of the roads? Wouldn't it make more sense to put them out where no one can see them?

think about it.

[emoji15]🤣[emoji23]🤣🤪[emoji15][emoji854][emoji38]
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:26 PM   #23

Quote:

Oh my! Another conspiracy theory.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:46 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Wind turbines.

Too funny …good one Keith

So when I run into those head winds on the plains it’s really the government trying to derate me…hmmmm…your onto something. What’s your theory on all those darn solar farms? Perhaps it’s to power underground compounds where they make DEF sensors….hmmmm
RichdlP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:02 AM   #25

There are several factors that affect wind swaying the RV. Weight, of course, height and rear overhang. Rear overhang is why some class C's are terrible in high winds or when being passed by a semi. We hardly notice wind shear in our 87 Wanderlodge due to weight, real bus air suspension, 22 1/2" tires and a long wheelbase.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:39 AM   #26

My fiver handles the wind just fine.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichdlP View Post
Too funny …good one Keith

So when I run into those head winds on the plains it’s really the government trying to derate me…hmmmm…your onto something. What’s your theory on all those darn solar farms? Perhaps it’s to power underground compounds where they make DEF sensors….hmmmm
Notice how they only make solar farms in one color? A deep black that absorbs the sun's rays. I am proposing this is the government taking control of the sun. We will be taxed if we want them to let some sun out.

So if you want a nice sunny day you will have to pay them a tax to put covers on some of the solar panels. Otherwise, they are stealing all the sun and the power that comes with it.

As to what they do with the power? What do you think is used to turn the wind turbines?
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #28

Wind is easy to deal with. It is the sudden gust that I do not like dealing with.

Tags
wind