Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2021, 07:24 AM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
As far as a class A and wind, weight and "tail" length is a big deal. I had a 32'
16k thor with a big tail, and wind made it horrifying to keep it straight. Then had a 34' 22k Tiffin and it was not too bad. Now have a 38' 24K WBGO with a relatively short tail and it is pretty good in a cross wind.
RE: your comment on the lack of class A rigs in campgrounds, several RV dealers have told me that overall, TTs sell about 100 to 1 versus Class A rigs, so what you saw for lack of class A rigs is about par for the course.
Iceman-31D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 08:13 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
Now hear me out. I was out west years ago and there was not much wind.

You know what else there wasn't much of? Wind turbines.

Now those turbines spin fast and keep getting bigger. I see more and more posts about wind every year. I think the government has sold us a bill of goods (that's the nice way of putting it).

Those gigantic turbines are pushing the air across the country. You know how California is doing everything to get rid of smog? Why not push some air across the plains? IT will pull nice fresh air into the smog areas and push the smog air across the plains.

This has been covered up of years. California is a huge voting block. They want their smog outta there.

Just saying... If it walks like a duck...

Sad part is who's the victim here? The hard working Rvers. Breathing smog and getting their rigs blown all around.

Stay safe out there. Oh - how come the turbines are always within site of the roads? Wouldn't it make more sense to put them out where no one can see them?

think about it.
Seriously? I live in close proximity to a large wind farm with several hundred turbines. I can tell you these turbines don't push anything. They're not like a box fan you put in your window.
There is a mandatory set back for these turbines from housing, highways etc. but require ready access from a highway for maintenance. It's especially important in my area due to the snow cover we get here in the winter months. These roads need to be kept plowed 24/7.
These turbines are all computer controlled. If the wind reaches a certain set speed the computer will trim the blades to where they will stop turning or they will adjust to where they barely turn. Some of these turbines have blades 120' long and you can stand just a few feet away from the unit and not feel a thing. You will hear a constant 'whoosh' 'whoosh' as the blades turn. The post the turbines sit on are buried deeply in the ground in a well prepared pit with a minimum of 85 truck loads of concrete poured into each hole. That is in excess of 850 yards of concrete.
Back to the topic. Regardless of what you are driving you simply have to take into account anything you are driving is subject to a shift in direction from a side wind. Either slow down or get off the highway until the wind subsides to be safe.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:19 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Seriously? I live in close proximity to a large wind farm with several hundred turbines. I can tell you these turbines don't push anything. They're not like a box fan you put in your window.
There is a mandatory set back for these turbines from housing, highways etc. but require ready access from a highway for maintenance. It's especially important in my area due to the snow cover we get here in the winter months. These roads need to be kept plowed 24/7.
These turbines are all computer controlled. If the wind reaches a certain set speed the computer will trim the blades to where they will stop turning or they will adjust to where they barely turn. Some of these turbines have blades 120' long and you can stand just a few feet away from the unit and not feel a thing. You will hear a constant 'whoosh' 'whoosh' as the blades turn. The post the turbines sit on are buried deeply in the ground in a well prepared pit with a minimum of 85 truck loads of concrete poured into each hole. That is in excess of 850 yards of concrete.
Back to the topic. Regardless of what you are driving you simply have to take into account anything you are driving is subject to a shift in direction from a side wind. Either slow down or get off the highway until the wind subsides to be safe.

Apparently you didn’t get the joke.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #46

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Winds: Tail wind - wonderful and greatly appricated. Head wind - less fuel milage but doable. Side wind - bad fuel milage and dangerous. In a class A a side wind is bad, but dragging a trailer or toad with any vehicle it becomes more a white knuckle & prayers scene. I’ll pull off the road when I get constant side winds over 15 mph and wait it out with my head or tail into the wind. I’m constantly watching for flags or other flying things while motoring along to indicate the wind speed and direction as part of my driving safety. Another thing I learned, try to avoid driving the hours of 1pm-5-pm when the winds are at max (and temps the hottest!). Especially out in the western USA.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Apparently you didn’t get the joke.
Joke???
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:54 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Joke???

Keith55 was trying to be funny with his ridiculous conspiracy theories.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:15 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Keith55 was trying to be funny with his ridiculous conspiracy theories.
If he's joking he needs to use smiley faces or winks; not frowns. It's hard to get a joke across on these sites.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:18 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If he's joking he needs to use smiley faces or winks; not frowns. It's hard to get a joke across on these sites.

Agreed. Dry humor doesn’t carry well in text. Lol
Old 09-27-2021, 10:45 PM   #51

Spartan Chassis
I smile at this having traveled in just about every RV type made in our 50+ years of RVing. We have a 45 ft. diesel pusher with a GVWR of 54000 lbs and it is the best we've had in winds. Something that plays into how it handles is the center of gravity. Many TTs and 5ers tend to be more top heavy which can make them more susceptible to winds, especially cross winds. That also explains why truck campers are nightmares in winds. Something my dad told me made a difference for me. That was, " when the sun goes down the wind generally drops as well. " I have pulled over and waited until it got dark to proceed and have found that is true most of the time.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:11 PM   #52

Occasionally, we convert a commercial rig to our concept of a RecreationVehicle.
Our latest is a 40' semi-trailer.
Our first modification -- we lowered the roof by a couple feet.
An air-chisel, some rivets, and a couple weekends.
We figure we reduced our vulnerability to side-winds by at least two percent (2%).
So that gain was all worth it.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:42 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Oh boy! Time for one of us to take our medication.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:13 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
I smile at this having traveled in just about every RV type made in our 50+ years of RVing. We have a 45 ft. diesel pusher with a GVWR of 54000 lbs and it is the best we've had in winds. Something that plays into how it handles is the center of gravity. Many TTs and 5ers tend to be more top heavy which can make them more susceptible to winds, especially cross winds. That also explains why truck campers are nightmares in winds. Something my dad told me made a difference for me. That was, " when the sun goes down the wind generally drops as well. " I have pulled over and waited until it got dark to proceed and have found that is true most of the time.
Yes, most of the time the wind dies down after dark, but it’s not when we’d want to travel narrow unfamiliar roads. We’ve also had a couple nights on this trip when the wind got stronger at night. So much that we’ve had to bring in our slides.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:20 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
Oh boy! Time for one of us to take our medication.
I just took mine. Your turn!
LOL
Old 09-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #56

This is no joke. If you've been to Maui you can see the "wind farm" installed on the island. Supposedly it was to generate electricity. In fact ( I was told this by a local govt official who swore me to secrecy) they were installed to blow the island further away from N Korea, out of ICBM range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
Now hear me out. I was out west years ago and there was not much wind.

You know what else there wasn't much of? Wind turbines.

Now those turbines spin fast and keep getting bigger. I see more and more posts about wind every year. I think the government has sold us a bill of goods (that's the nice way of putting it).

Those gigantic turbines are pushing the air across the country. You know how California is doing everything to get rid of smog? Why not push some air across the plains? IT will pull nice fresh air into the smog areas and push the smog air across the plains.

This has been covered up of years. California is a huge voting block. They want their smog outta there.

Just saying... If it walks like a duck...

Sad part is who's the victim here? The hard working Rvers. Breathing smog and getting their rigs blown all around.

Stay safe out there. Oh - how come the turbines are always within site of the roads? Wouldn't it make more sense to put them out where no one can see them?

think about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C9B6A98-BFAB-452D-90C1-62938FBDCF17.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	344463  
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind