Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2021, 04:00 PM   #1

Wind & Rain, slides in or out?

Currently the wind is blowing 20 mph and the forecast is for .85” of rain in the next 24 hours. I pulled both slides in before it rains. Yet I look around and I’m the only one with them in.

A week ago we had 40 mph winds and I was the only one (that I saw) with them in. Am I being paranoid?
HenryH001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2021, 04:02 PM   #2

Yup
Bagelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:28 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It's wherever your comfort level is. If you feel better bringing your slides in, then do it. Don't concern yourself with what your site neighbors are doing...or not doing.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You made a good decision.

We had a storm come through and it ripped the slideout topper rail away from the roof.

Insurance covered the repair.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
It's wherever your comfort level is. If you feel better bringing your slides in, then do it. Don't concern yourself with what your site neighbors are doing...or not doing.
I agree. That said mine are out all the time when using and 90% of the time at home, except when in storage for winter.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:51 PM   #6

Our slides (3) stay out for rain, but if the wind gets really strong and at the wrong angle the slide toppers start to really flap, so I will close the slides. Doesn’t happen very often.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks. I’m not going to risk it. If I’m wrong nothing lost.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:54 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
In 20 years of RV'ing, I never pulled in for rain. And I only pulled in slides once: for a snow storm with temps in the teens & 20mph sustained winds. I didn't want the toppers or seals to get wet/freeze as the outside temp dropped & it kept the RV much warmer without those slides cantilevered out where the wind/cold would suck out interior heat.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:09 PM   #9

Quote:
In 20 years of RV'ing, I never pulled in for rain. And I only pulled in slides once: for a snow storm with temps in the teens & 20mph sustained winds. I didn't want the toppers or seals to get wet/freeze as the outside temp dropped & it kept the RV much warmer without those slides cantilevered out where the wind/cold would suck out interior heat.
I am trying to conserve energy. Right now the wind is from my side and I can hear and feel wind coming in from the microwave vent. I stuffed a dish towel in it.

I want to see how long I can heat the RV on just one propane tank.
Old 12-23-2021, 05:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine are out all the time, except if an ice storm is come in and I'm planing to leave before I think it will melt.

Now the awaning is a diffreny story is the wind gets around 15mph they are up.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:45 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There can be several considerations......strong winds blowing one direction and not hitting your toppers can be no big deal, yet a moderate wind blowing down the length of your toppers can be an issue. The age and tightness of your slide toppers can also be a consideration.

We don't worry about rain, but freezing weather can turn pooling water on a topper into a sheet of ice. Once that happens, you may not be able to retract your slide.

So..........every situation is different. Do what common sense tells you to do.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
There can be several considerations......strong winds blowing one direction and not hitting your toppers can be no big deal, yet a moderate wind blowing down the length of your toppers can be an issue. The age and tightness of your slide toppers can also be a consideration.

We don't worry about rain, but freezing weather can turn pooling water on a topper into a sheet of ice. Once that happens, you may not be able to retract your slide.

So..........every situation is different. Do what common sense tells you to do.
It’s going to rain for two days then snow with a low of 25.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryH001 View Post
It’s going to rain for two days then snow with a low of 25.

If you can still access everything easily with the slides in, pull them in. But really all that matters is if the wife is happy lol.
We sometimes leave them in, depending on where we are, and how much time we will actually spend inside the coach. I rarely extend the slides at home.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
If you can still access everything easily with the slides in, pull them in. But really all that matters is if the wife is happy lol.
We sometimes leave them in, depending on where we are, and how much time we will actually spend inside the coach. I rarely extend the slides at home.
I’m single and the cat doesn’t care about such matters. I’ve noticed I’m colder sitting at the table when the slide is out. With it in the wall behind me is inside the MH.

I can get to everything I need daily. I put seldom used items in the cupboards that are blocked.

In the future I may want to boondock and I’m testing how long I can so conserving energy is also part of my goals.

It’s raining hard right now and the forecast is for heavy rain all night.

Tags
slide, wind