Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #1

Wind and solar

I was looking into doing a wind and solar combo on my rv. My rig isn’t big enough to fit enough solar on my roof so I figured wind and solar combo would be a great option.

Does anyone have any pointers before I decide what to buy and what to look out for when I set it up and install?
Orgotloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgotloth View Post
I was looking into doing a wind and solar combo on my rv. My rig isn’t big enough to fit enough solar on my roof so I figured wind and solar combo would be a great option.

Does anyone have any pointers before I decide what to buy and what to look out for when I set it up and install?
Met some fulltimers in the desert last year using only solar and wind. Do check out the wind turbines closely, some are very noisy.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Wind is not RV friendly. It doesn’t provide very much additional power, is noisy and a pain to set up and take down.

Sailboats use it some. But even then they find find it not all that useful.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #4

Wind generators produce full ( 400 watts ? ) output at over 25 MPH winds. That's too windy for most awnings.

Unless your camping in high wind areas, expect much less output.

See if you can find a harbor with boats with them installed. First see if they are using them and then listen to them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #5

Quote:
I was looking into doing a wind and solar combo on my rv. ...
Why? While this sounds snarky, you have not provided enough information about how you camp or what kind if rig you have.

The first step is to get a power meter for about $20. Figure how much electricity you use and was to use less without it being a hardship.

I use about 1200 watt-hours a day. This is means I only have to run my Onan and hour a day.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #6

I’m boondocking as of now I’m not hooked up to any sort of grid and I rely entirely on what the rv can produce, I got some solar panels in my back window but that will only handle charging my phones. I live in it, this isn’t for excursions.

I fully understand how noisy wind is, when I am is very windy, I’d be making some sort of rig to attach it to the back of the rv. While I appreciate the advice on all this as far as using wind, I’ve already decided it’s my best option as I don’t have the space for solar. I have a good idea what I need for output, I’m just looking for help on the last steps.

Small block 350 engine
Orgotloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

Sailboats use it some. But even then they find find it not all that useful.
I have a sailboats. People with sailboats are like people with RV. The like to buy expensive gear that at best has little practical value. At worse they cause a problem.

It is about the experience of sailing or boondocking. Just get out there and do it and then figure out what would make the experience more enjoyable.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #8

Quote:
I’m boondocking as of now I’m not hooked up to any sort of grid and I rely entirely on what the rv can produce, I got some solar panels in my back window but that will only handle charging my phones. I live in it, this isn’t for excursions.

I fully understand how noisy wind is, when I am is very windy, I’d be making some sort of rig to attach it to the back of the rv. While I appreciate the advice on all this as far as using wind, I’ve already decided it’s my best option as I don’t have the space for solar. I have a good idea what I need for output, I’m just looking for help on the last steps.
https://mwands.com/shop/category/win...4aAjYbEALw_wcB

These guys sell a lot, might call them with your questions.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:51 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Check some marine supply houses and search on-line for sailboat wind generators - a lot of cruising sailors (like thousands) have been using wind generators on their boats successfully for decades. You should be able to find a 400w (at around 25mph) unit for around $500 or a “silent” one for around $1500. A bigger unit is just more money. There are lots of worthwhile options.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:05 AM   #10

Wind would only seem to make sense while you are towing...
KRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRum View Post
Not really, many of them shut down or need to be tied off at 50 MPH.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If you are stationary most of the time a wind turbine may work for you. To get one of any capacity it has to be pretty big. But once it is set up the power it generates could be beneficial but you will need extra batteries to be able to store as much as possible when the wind is blowing.
In my case, we move quite a bit, so the thought of having break down a wind turbine and set it back up didn't make sense.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:05 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRum View Post
Any time you need to bring in your slides due to wind, you could easily be making electricity. How much depends on how committed you are to the idea, but it is definitely possible. I could have easily made 400w nearly continuously with a small $500 wind genny for around three days straight down near the Salton Sea last month.

Also some I looked at last night, in the $1500 range, were rated to 110mph. So I guess of you were really committed to the idea you could put one on the coach, maybe mount it to the ladder sticking up just far enough, and see what happens. Might be a fun experiment.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:12 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:

A 21 foot class C would seem to have quite a bit of room for solar. Why do you think you don’t ? Do you know how many watts you can fit? Or how many watts you need ?

How many batteries do you have? Solar is just for battery charging.....if you only have one or two batteries you actually can’t use lots of watts of solar, as it would go unused after the batteries reach full charge.

Have you thought about some portable panels? Much easier to deploy and probably brings in more power than wind in your case.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, wind