Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #1

Window Shades

Hi! I am new to this forum and will properly introduce myself and my RV within a couple days but my question right now is: I want to replace my window shades and had checked into the day/night shades. I hate the strings that are visible and wondered if anyone had purchased the cellular room darkening shades like Levalor (from Lowes) or something similar and if they were happy with them. My second question is: are they noisy in the down position when traveling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Martie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #2

It looks like the favorite blinds for RV's at the moment are American Duo Day/Night Shade System, we have them and like them. It's all about what you like.
As to prevent rattling, you could affix velcro to the wall/window frame and the back of the shades, that should keep them from banging around.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #3

We purchased the Levelor Room Darkening for our Discovery 36T four years ago.
Great performance. Dark at night, easy to lift up or pull down. Lift time warrantee. Got them at Lowe's. Had to replace one. No problem. Just took it to a Lowes store, they cut it, and we were on our way. Great value.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #4

MCD shades for us, hard on the checkbook, but they are great in every way.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #5

We lived with the day/nite shades for one year and did the MCD conversion. Yeah not cheap but a great product and good customer support. Had ours installed at the MCD factory.
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
MCD shades for us, hard on the checkbook, but they are great in every way.
X2! What is great about MCD, among other things, is the day/night option. We have the day shades down all the time to cut down on sunlight and heat. Great investment.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I installed the MCD shades at first. Then 2 shades broke. I just wanted to purchase the shade that broke but I would have to buy both the day and night portion. They were going to give me a discount of 10% off of a $400 shade, big deal.

I went with Automotionshade - Product as replacements for all of the MCDs. They are a much more sturdy shade mechanically and the fabric is thicker.Much nicer shade overall.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #8

MCD has a new Gold Duo less-expensive line; we recently installed them and they're great. They can thump a little but not bad.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post
X2! What is great about MCD, among other things, is the day/night option. We have the day shades down all the time to cut down on sunlight and heat. Great investment.
X3 Unbelieveable the increase in comfort level of the coach.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #10

I love the MCD's (American Duo) so much in the coach that we installed the gold series in the house.

Jim
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window