Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2021, 08:36 AM   #15

Look into making an appointment when you get where your going. Lots of glass companies are nationwide.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
After several reports to insurance they will affect your rates, no matter what you hear. My last trip I got 4 chips, 3 repaired out of pockets, for ~$30-$50 each(same as ins coverage). When I got home ask my glass guy what kits to buy so I could do myself and he directed me to an autoparts store kits and now I carry all the time. Did one and it worked fine.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:11 PM   #17

I did a DIY repair w/ auto parts kit (~8-10 yrs ago) on previous MH that lasted fine and new owner is still driving it around. Just follow directions.

My current MH had a Safelight repair done by PO when we purchased it and it has been fine 6 yrs later.

I had Safelight repair done on a car and it was fine.

If small enough I'd be OK with either - would likely go w/ Safelight as insurance covers it but if hesitant or they aren't responsive I would have no problem w/ DIY. Note: my DIY kit relied on sun for UV cure so important to read the instructions and plan for time of day to do it as mine req'd shade to start then sun to cure.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:45 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
I too would check with your insurance company. Our insurance just covered two chips in our windshield at NO cost to us.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:13 PM   #19

I have had shops do repairs and have DIY also. A couple weeks ago I did a DIY repair on my windshield about a foot away from chip repaired by a shop last year. To my surprise my repair looks better.

Key to a good self repair is FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Also it is important to fix the chip ASAP. They do become contaminated with dust and what ever making a good result more difficult. I carry a repair kit in my spare parts. That big barn door of a windshield is just asking for it.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:53 PM   #20

Local TV station had one of their reporters who reviews all kinds of stuff did a repair with I think the RainX kit last week.

Looked great, even he was surprised at how easy and perfectly clear, he used a UV light to accelerate the curing.... pretty common with many household glues these days (not all pro level).

After watching that...depending on my next chip...I might give it a try.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:13 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
After several reports to insurance they will affect your rates, no matter what you hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
I too would check with your insurance company. Our insurance just covered two chips in our windshield at NO cost to us.
Although many insurance policies do allow for no cost chip repair, you can be sure that your insurance provider is paying the tech to repair your chip.

And, they keep very detailed records of your claim history. They use your claim history as one of the factors when they set your premium rate for policy renewal.

I've been told, by someone who works in the insurance industry to determine risk, that even when you might call your insurance provider to ask a few questions about whether, or not, you should file a claim for some damage that you've incurred and subsequently decide to just pay out of pocket for the repair, your insurance provider very likely records that as a non-claim incident. Even that non-claim incident is an indication of your risk profile.

Also, there's a method whereby insurance carriers share your claim history with other, competing carriers. You're not going to easily hide your claim history.

Take care,
Stu
Old 12-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use the kit with mixed results. I also use super glue. If the wiper will go across it you need it smooth. I had safelite do it for like $30 and it came out real good.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
FWIW; my vote is for the professional. I had a chip, that quickly went to a crack. About 20” long, looked like a question mark. Called my traveling windshield guy and he fixed it! Lasted about 2 years. Even the insurance company was surprised a crack, that big could be repaired. But he is a good one, been doing them for many years.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:01 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I've used the standard $10 chip repair kits on several VW vans with nearly-vertical windshields. I never had a problem with penetration or longevity of the repair.
Same here, Walmart has them.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:09 PM   #25

I had mine done also at Safelite. I watched how the tech did it. They have a really cool device that suctions to the windshield to draw a vacuum and then they pour the resin in. This device is designed for a vertical windshield. I believe it was made in Germany. If I can find one I will definitely buy one… even at hundreds of $$$.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:40 AM   #26

With a chip repair speed is of the essence. If you can't either, repair yourself or get it done professionally right away, cover the chip with tape to keep contaminants out.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair