Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2018, 03:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole14 View Post
My budget is roughly 40k.

I don't mean crazy off roading like stuff people do with ATVs or fancy trucks. But more like I want to be able to go down most national forest roads, and many of these are not paved and not well maintained. I see people handing them fine with pickup trucks but I'd like to be able to get out there and stay for a while in my home and not just a tent.
We've done those kinds of roads with our 40' motorhome. As long as you're not boulder hopping you can do it successfully with any RV. You just do some research first and then drive slow. You don't take off willy nilly. If you're not sure then disconnect the trailer and drive the truck to scout first or if you have a motorhome with a towed vehicle, take that to disconnect.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2018, 04:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Can the fifth wheel part rotate at the joint? Or it stays rigid? How does a joint like a fifth wheel or a TT differ going around a turn vs a long rigid vehicle? I did not pay enough attention in physics class I guess. I'd like to have a lot of living space if possible because I will be fulltiming, but I don't want to be worrying about getting stuck in remote areas.

Honestly I love that Unimog so much just because of the range. 2100 miles! To be able to go so far without needing more fuel... What a dream!
5th wheel handle corners very well, remember some of the 5th wheel is over the bed of the truck. So your over all length is shorter. We have had 5th wheels and have been on many dirt rutted roads. We don't go mud bogging our rock climbing, but we definitely get out there. Biggest issue with a 5ver is anytime the truck bed begins to go up and hit the bottom of the 5th wheel. Bottom line is you can get off road with just about any rig, but common sense has to be part of the equation.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:23 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

I don't mean crazy off roading like stuff people do with ATVs or fancy trucks. But more like I want to be able to go down most national forest roads, and many of these are not paved and not well maintained. I see people handing them fine with pickup trucks but I'd like to be able to get out there and stay for a while in my home and not just a tent.
Nicole, your camping sounds like mine. I live in Colorado and rarely stay in RV parks. My favorite is 10 miles of dirt road from the pavement. It is sometimes rutted, sometimes dusty, but always narrow and tight curves.

Class C motorhomes tend to have smaller tires and lower ground clearance both can be problems on poor roads. As stated, the Super C's might work well for you but are probably out of your budget.

I had a 32' Class A on a 180" wheel base. This was as good as it got for getting into the difficult spots. The rear overhang is not as critical as the shorter wheelbase because you can turn around sharp corners easier. The longer overhang didn't inhibit back country road travel. It was mostly a problem getting in and out of service stations.

My current motorhome has a 228" wheelbase and is at the edge of getting into my favorite spot.

If I were in the market I would look for a well maintained Class A in the 30' range with a wheelbase 200" or less and tires not smaller than 225 70R19.5.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:25 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Wink

Quote:

I picked up a 2000 winnebago ultimate advantage 40 ft diesel pusher for 36,000 and I take it boondocking out at Lake Meade NV all the time. It is not 4 wheel drive and I am able to navigate the dirt roads and find a place to stay. I really enjoy getting away from everything.

Bill
signet63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Nicole, your camping sounds like mine. I live in Colorado and rarely stay in RV parks. My favorite is 10 miles of dirt road from the pavement. It is sometimes rutted, sometimes dusty, but always narrow and tight curves.

Class C motorhomes tend to have smaller tires and lower ground clearance both can be problems on poor roads. As stated, the Super C's might work well for you but are probably out of your budget.

I had a 32' Class A on a 180" wheel base. This was as good as it got for getting into the difficult spots. The rear overhang is not as critical as the shorter wheelbase because you can turn around sharp corners easier. The longer overhang didn't inhibit back country road travel. It was mostly a problem getting in and out of service stations.

My current motorhome has a 228" wheelbase and is at the edge of getting into my favorite spot.

If I were in the market I would look for a well maintained Class A in the 30' range with a wheelbase 200" or less and tires not smaller than 225 70R19.5.
Thank you so much for this info. Can you recommend a good resource for getting a better understanding of overhang, wheel base, and tire size?

A local RV sales shop is dying to get me to drive out to them to try to sell me something they've got in stock, but I want to take my time and really get a solid understanding of what I need to know to be able to live in this way. I have a moderate disability and while I am able to do a lot of repairs, renovations, etc myself, the last thing that I want is to put in all that effort on a rig that will not be suitable for at least two years, preferably 5 years.

I am going to be on a pretty limited budget and until I can figure out how to adapt to this new disability situation and I want to feel safe and comfortable living in a mobile home for low monthly costs while I figure out my next steps.

I want to just be able to go spend a year or multiple years living out in the middle of nowhere, living a simple life, eating simple food, and figuring myself out. I don't want to give too many identifying details, but my life is not ever going to be what it used to and I'm disappointed that I'm going to need to figure out a way to make a meaningful life for myself in spite of these limitations. Before, I used to think that the sky was the limit, but now things are different, and what I think I need most is some time by myself, surrounded by nature and nothingness. I want to feel safe in whatever rig I end up with to know that I can really trust it to be a good home for a while and not be worrying about falling off a cliff in California or losing control going through a mountain pass in the Rockies. I also want to be able to drive out a far distance somewhere like Wyoming and spend a month not seeing another soul.

I don't need like luxury, just safety and reliability. I will have a large dog as a companion. Depending on state laws, I may or may not buy a firearm. I have training with pistol, rifle, and shotgun, so if it's needed to protect against wildlife I will buy something. But I'm hesitant about that because I ended up giving away my guns when I moved out west and I don't want to worry about keeping track of gun laws. This also leads me away from the fifth wheel, because I'd need to go out door and into another door if I want to drive away from whatever situation. But I do like the idea of a commuting or tow vehicle so I can run into town for supplies if needed.

Ugh this is a lot to think about. If any of your are into sports, stay safe. You can become permanently disabled in the blink of an eye. I didn't think it could happen to me until it did, and now my life is forever changed.
nicole14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #34

It sounds like you are taking on a challenging situation after coming from a difficult life change. Make sure you are emotionally ready for this new life. Do you have the financial resources and life skills to deal with mechanical and maintenance issues you will face living in a RV? Many have done it successfully, but it is best to be open eyed and realistic before proceeding.

DW was an international touring professional volleyball player so I understand how things can go upside down if something ever goes wrong, but luckily for us, it never did.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Morning,

It is difficult to hear that you have had a life changing event. While most of us take 50 years to reach the mild disability stage you got there instantly. Not fair for sure but you seem to be trying very hard to have an enjoyable live anyway. Good for you.

A very good resource for the information you seek is right here on IRV2. Other resources that you may find helpful are online at websites like: RV Education 101 - videos, DVDs, books, tips and information for RVers Web searches will provide more similar resources.

You've already started your education by asking questions. You can learn more about tires here: https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...izes-and-types. This probably provides more information then you want right now but it is a start. The tire diameter is the first factor you want to consider. Take a measuring tape with you whenever you go to look at a motorhome. For best results on back roads look for tire that is about 31-32" tall as measured from the ground to the top of the tire.

Wheelbase is the distance between the center of the front wheel and the center of the rear wheel. Again, take your tape measure and measure it. The overhang is the distance from the center of the rear wheel to the back of the motorhome.

For instance my old 32' motorhome had a 180" wheelbase and 168" overhang. It worked very well for the type roads you are contemplating.

Other considerations:

Most places where you can go off by yourself are on public lands. Here in the west most of the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) and National Forests limit your stay at any give spot. Don't count on more that about 2 weeks without packing up and moving. You'll probably need to move anyway because your fresh water tank will be empty and your holding tanks will be full.

Look for a motorhome with as big a water tank as you can find. One person can probably get by with about 65 gallons for 2 weeks. That is being VERY stingy on the water like doing dishes once a day and taking Navy showers to conserve water.

You are probably going to get 10,000 opinions on firearms and camping. Remember these are opinions, not facts for the most part. I have been camping both in an RV and backpacking in the remote parts of Wyoming, Montana, Colorado and New Mexico since 1970. The only dangerous animals I have ever encountered are the 2 legged variety. Wild animals are rarely a danger. People on the other hand can be.

I am a hunter and have a gun case full of firearms. Rifles, shotguns, archery equipment, etc. .....No handgun. I believe that my skills with these weapons is far better than the average Joe. I have no moral issues with the ownership of firearms. I just believe that the safety issues to yourself and other innocent bystanders of a handgun far out way the protection it may provide. My opinion only. Place that opinion beside the other 10,000 opinions and decide for yourself.

I think you should think this through very carefully. Some more opinion, I think that your idea of finding someplace with no people is unrealistic. I have traveled the back country of some of the most sparsely populated states and have found that there are very few places you won't encounter people.

Please consider other options. Possibly moving to a small town in or near wild places. Get a small house or apartment and a Jeep. Take your dog and Jeep and go find the places where for a few hours you can meditate and heal. Might work!!!??

Good luck!

Any questions you have post them here. Someone will have the answer most of the time.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #36

A TT or 5th wheel towed by a pickup is the ultimate in flexibility. Our previous trailer was a Rockwood Mini-lite that could be towed by even smaller trucks and had a sofa on the slideout that really opened the floor up. Towed great and at 4200lbs loaded it was easy to manuever and well put together. We especially liked setting it up at a boondocking site and then exploring our surroundings in our pickup.
My plan to handle a security issue is to hook up and pull away before it develops into a full-blown crisis, or if it occurs without warning to get to the truck and leave everything behind, get to cell coverage and dial 911. If that's not possible hunker down with the pump shotgun across my lap and shelter in place. You could camp for a thousand years and not have any of those happen or it could occur your first night out. IOW, have a plan that fits your situation, rig and mental/physical capabilities and be comfortable and confident the odds are with the prepared camper.
Keep reading,googling and asking questions. The more time you can take making decisions about actually executing your plan and what type of rig to do it in the better off you'll be in the end.
Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
My plan to handle a security issue is to hook up and pull away before it develops into a full-blown crisis, or if it occurs without warning to get to the truck and leave everything behind, get to cell coverage and dial 911. If that's not possible hunker down with the pump shotgun across my lap and shelter in place. You could camp for a thousand years and not have any of those happen or it could occur your first night out.

The same is true of the chance of being struck by lightening. The odds are probably quite similar.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:31 AM   #38

Hi nicole14,
Nice to see you still refining your requirements before investing.

You mention 'windy'. Does your potential rig need to be hurricane strength? Some places get windy enough to knock-over semi trucks and trailers. One advantage to mobile living is turning the key, and driving to entertaining venues such as riots and civil wars. Volcanoes?

Next.

For a quick store-bought solution, how about the offroad-type bumper-pull trailers like Australians use? Excellent ground clearance, excellent construction, short and handy.

Or an expedition vehicle after its builders / users retire.

Next.

Our rig == 1997 Ford CF8000 housetruck. Rear-axle drive with air-locker.

Our situation == boondock exclusively. South America twenty-four months twenty-four thousand miles. Alaska Panama. Log roads, Baja beaches.

After decades of full-time travel, we have some opinions.

For the use you describe, a commercial truck converted to your specifications sounds ideal.

Why commercial?
You get a million-mile chassis. Stout frame and brakes.
You get ground clearance. Our GC is sixteen inches.
You get the opportunity to design and engineer your rig to your needs.
You can outfit it with stand-still house appliances.
It takes the abuse of tracks, trails, river crossings, swamp swims.

We delivered RVs manufacturers-to-dealers and dealers-to-shows. We have a binder of horror stories about new RVs and their service / repairs. Would we own a factory RV? Probably not... something about staples through thin paneling, and that whole holes-in-roofs business.

Did you hear the joke about the RV builder 'tech'?
First day on the job, she was promoted to Quality Control. Right after lunch, they made her supervisor. Of Quality Control.

Why not a commercial truck conversion?
You may be refused service at some campgrounds... and many RV parks.
Snoots and snobs may look down on you. This is only an issue if you're trying to impress people you don't know.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:14 AM   #39

Many folks I know boondock forest roads and such with smaller versions of the Escape Industries trailers. Get a 4x4 truck or suv, get the high lift axle option on the trailer and go where you wish. Down side is the smaller trailers are the best for such, like 17' or 19'. Personally, I'd want to scope out the intended road before I drove down it with a rig. Big road berms seem to be common.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:34 AM   #40

Don’t know if there is a used market of them yet. But look at “Bruder” trailers out of Australia. Bult for serious off road. Wife and I were All fired up for an Earth Romer, but as we looked at usage we determined a class A used as a base camp would be much more to our liking. Towing a serious 4x4 and a couple of those ebikes, the Snobs hate, making the purchase of the ebikes even better.

Happy Trails and Stay Safe.
WhiskeySierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #41

The OP, Nicole, hasn't commented for about 3 weeks.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:22 PM   #42

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
The OP might not be responding on an immediate basis, but based upon the gravity of his/herthe situation and the choice in life to be made, I might be contemplative too.

A couple things that struck me: ...
... a person who hadn't RV'd before but in the original post repeatedly referenced a concern of 'falling off steep cliffs' while driving out in the mountains ...
... and the need/desire to spend a year or more away from things to perhaps come to grips with a life's situation.

My feelings given the above couple things : ...
.. few affordable RV's in the $40K range are going to provide a open living space for a large dog and one or two people AND satisfy the expedition learning lifestyle,

but I dont see that the situation was perhaps interpreted fully by either Nicole or us.

The desire to 'get away', the need to be personally safe and be able to access the living quarters from the driver's chair, and to have a vehicle that can handle the drive ...
... well I think the important concern of Nicole was that of getting away and having quiet time. Somehow that got interpreted as going to areas that were life threatening 'fall off cliffs'.

A decent Class-C driving around the wide open western U.S. would provide enormous amount of quiet solitude and yet safe roads.
To 'getaway' does not necessarily mean 'falling off cliffs'. Northern Nevada, Idaho, Orego, Arizona, while in a reliable Class-C, would provide unlimited open, safe, quiet, beautiful areas to have time to relax and enjoy life.

Best of luck Nicole !!!
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking