Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2009, 04:39 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to azbaroness
We are considering going on our first Winnebago rally (to San Antonio in April) and was wondering what they are "really" like - value for the money, etc.
azbaroness is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2009, 05:38 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to IRV2...there is a lot of good information here and there will be always someone who can help you.

Some region/state rallies do a better job than others...it varies. As for "value for the money" it again varies. Meals are mixed and depend on how well they are catered or managed if they are potluck.

The Winnebago National Rally held in Forest City, Iowa each year is the best manufacturer sponsored rally. The seminars, factory tours, and entertainment are super.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe you are referring to the WIT Tours. I am going on my first one this year but have friends who have been on many and always enjoy them. I know there are people here who will be able to help you with specifics.

Welcome to IRV2!
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Olive

I think another part of the answer with regards to value for the money is What do you expect from a rally? Some people like rallies that have venues planned that you may or may not attend and provide plenty of time to go exploring on their own. Some want a rally that pretty much has your day planned from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave. There are rallies that offer either type of atmosphere. There are plenty of rallies that are a blend of the two. There is noting wrong with either of the types I mentioned. It depends on ones desires.

So the value for the money really depends on what type of rally you are looking to attend.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
That's very true John. I was also trying to point out that what they are looking into is not a regular "rally" but a WIT tour that stays in one place. I've never heard a bad word about them from people I've spoken with who have gone on the WIT tours.

John, why are you in PA in Feb, BRRRRRR!
Old 02-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #6

Arzaroness ...

We have been on three WIT rallies: New York City in 2001, Washington, DC in 2003, and Mardi Gras in 2005.

The framework for the rally: Arrive at the best RV park in the region with full hookups, a meeting to lay out the rally and meet the leader and the other participants, each day a large bus (restroom equipped) arrives at the RV park and takes you to the destinations for the day ... at the end of the day the bus brings you back to the RV park ... you have not had to drive in heavy traffic, look for a place to park, get tickets months in advance, make reservation at a classic restaurant, arrange for a carriage ride, etc

You can leave things on the bus between venues because it is always secure ...

They have pre-arranged admissions, guides, reservations, tips, tickets, etc. As an example, on the New York Rally when we went to Radio City Music Hall, we were on the stage, in the dressing rooms, I had my picture taken with a Rockette, we were in the control room. We had similar intimate visits to Madison Square Garden, the Museum of Metropolitian Art, the Kennedy Center, etc ...

The WIT rallies are less expensive that similar rallies by other vendors ... and are equal to or better than those rallies in my estimation.

<span class="ev_code_RED">We hope to attend more WIT rallies in the future.</span>

We have also been on one WIT caravan.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to azbaroness
Thanks to all who have answered my question re: the WIT rallies. Your input has been very very helpful.

AZBaroness
azbaroness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
azbaroness,

We attended the WIT Tours San Antonio Fiesta Rally in April 2007. It was great!

If you go, the best part of the tour is the bus driver - Leroy!

WIT asks for him every year because a better driver/guide is yet to be found.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by K-Star:
Olive

I think another part of the answer with regards to value for the money is What do you expect from a rally? Some people like rallies that have venues planned that you may or may not attend and provide plenty of time to go exploring on their own. Some want a rally that pretty much has your day planned from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave. There are rallies that offer either type of atmosphere. There are plenty of rallies that are a blend of the two. There is noting wrong with either of the types I mentioned. It depends on ones desires.

So the value for the money really depends on what type of rally you are looking to attend.
I'm so sorry Olive. My comments were directed to the original poster (azbaroness). I mistakenly used your name.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
John, no apologies needed. Your comments are important items each of us must take in to consideration no matter what type of rally, tour, etc we do.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #11

I have been on several WIT sponsored tours, Alaska, Upper Mich, Baja, Puerto Penasco and Branson. Always felt I got more than my monies worth and have met and made life long friends. In many cases you might be able to do it on your own but I believe you would miss a lot of the high lights because of the inconvenience or lack of knowledge to get there. On the caravans there is a leader and tail ender who makes sure you get to your next destination. GO FOR IT YOU WON'T GO WRONG.

Don WIT 70041
DonGee is offline   Reply With Quote