Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #1

Winter Boondocking

hi all.

I would love to pursue the idea of traveling with my travel trailer for winter sports. I get the impression that I am not alone in this. But the bit that puzzles me is where do you guys park your rigs during the day?

State lands and private camps are closed in winter. The few that are open (primitive camps sites or private) are hours away from the mountain, obviously not a very practical solution. Places like Walmart or Home Depot allow parking on their premises through the night. This is a good start, but where do you leave the trailer for the day when you are out enjoying winter sports? Below are my ideas that come to mind. I would appreciate it if you guys could help out with your tips, perhaps someone who has done it.

1. Call ahead the principle of a school in a nearby town and ask permission to park the trailer Fri night into Sun night on school parking lots. I figure this is a public place virtually deserted during weekends, so why not try there.

2. Interstate truck rest stops - would they allow to leave my trailer unattended?

3. Tow the trailer to the mountain in the morning, then return to some Walmart parking lot for the night. Repeat for the remaining number of skiing days.

Cheers!

Peter.
pdirv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 01:09 PM   #2

There are more and more folks who let boondockers stay for free or low cost on their properties for a small period of time.

I cannot remember the name of it, but there is an app and a website where you can find what is available. Im sure there will be some people who do this near the places you wish to go.
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
In the west there are a number of places set up for snowmobiled parking, and I have definitely seen rigs parked there overnight while dry camping. Since it is definitely a lot more work to camp in snow than warmer weather, you might want to think about serviced sites too. Some ski resorts have RV parking, and there are sometimes private parks near skiing spots with year around sites. Pick your preferred location and look at places like Campendium.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:13 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Due to liability, many public schools do not allow anyone to park on their property overnight.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In Washington there are parking lots near ski areas and snomobile trails called Sno-Park parking lots and are free after you purchase a yearly permit. There is one very close to the Hyak/Snoqaulmie ski areas with a cool 3 mile long abandoned train tunnel next to it and the old rail bed goes for about 70 miles or more of excellent mountain biking trail.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ski resorts may offer RV parking or even basic RV hook-ups.

https://rvshare.com/blog/ski-resorts-with-rv-hookups/
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock, boondocking, winter