Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #1

Winter camping ?

What do you do after you get back from a winter camp trip to keep pipes from freezing until the next trip? Winterize pipes after every trip-keep heat on in the rv ? We haven't camped in the past during winter months but thinking this maybe something we might want to start doing a few times during winter.
Jayco19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2020, 04:13 PM   #2

When we return, I make sure tanks are drained, blow the lines out 3 times and AF in all the traps, hopper and some in both waste tanks. Have been doing it this way since 2012 and we have camped in Gettysburg during the winter. Now We go south for the winter!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:17 AM   #3

Well before we went full time we did a lot of winter camping. We live in the PNW so when getting home I would look at the next weeks weather and if temps were going to be above freezing I would do nothing.
Our winterizing consisted of blowing the lines and pink stuff in P traps. Non-perishable food remained in the rig along with cloths. During the week we returned, laundry would be done and bedding and cloths returned to the rig, propane tank(s) refilled, if temps stayed above freezing would never blow the lines.

We had winters with multiple trips where I blew the lines six times, other where only did it once, because just didn't get that cold.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco19 View Post
What do you do after you get back from a winter camp trip to keep pipes from freezing until the next trip? Winterize pipes after every trip-keep heat on in the rv ? We haven't camped in the past during winter months but thinking this maybe something we might want to start doing a few times during winter.
IMHO, the blowing out is so easy it just makes sense, to do it and just fill to go right before the next trip.

Winter is a great time to be out and About - issue in the colder areas is finding a CG that might be open.

Best of Luck,

Golden, Co little snow

Eisenhower after a Little Snow

Monument Valley - Winter No Snow and No People

Great time to RV -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1900.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	271510   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170127_103201.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	271511  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2679.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	271512  
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #5

We winterize at the beginning of the season and dry camp if we're staying in colder climates. We can always find a place to camp all year long. If we go for an extended stay south, we de-winterize. It isn't that hard to make the switch.
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:53 PM   #6

So far my experience with winter camping has been great. Fortunately my travel trailer has a heated underbelly so all my pipes remain unfrozen but I made a video on my experience with winter camping so far. If you care to watch it, I'd appreciate any feedback on what else I could be doing in the winter time to better prepare myself

https://youtu.be/df73X9RF1II
MthwMcIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:51 AM   #7

This thread is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks to the OP!

We just bought a travel trailer -- a 2016 Keystone Summerland Mini 1800BH -- with which we upgraded from a popup, a 2006 Fleetwood Graphite. We are year-round campers who prefer to live outside, and only sleep & change clothes inside, so we have never used the plumbing or gas lines inside our previous camper.

Now that we have a bigger trailer and we are interested in using the kitchenette and bathroom, we are starting to do research on how to continue our winter camping without incurring major costs.

We are debating between getting a Viair RV air compressor and winterizing that way every time, or simply winterizing once with antifreeze and then dry camping for the winter months. I think I prefer the air compressor idea, but I'm interested in learning what others do.

Thanks, OP! Thanks to the others who are commenting so that others of us can learn what you do.
unixdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #8

Winter camping ?

You will probably need a compressor that has a bigger tank to supply the volume of air needed to blow out the lines. I use a 150 pound max pressure Porter Cable pancake compressor. One port is 150 pounds to fill tires. The other is variable, and I use 65 pounds to blow out the lines. Open one water valve and connect air line. Open second valve and close first. Continue until I have cycled through all the valves, hot and cold, three times. Antifreeze in traps. We had to travel 3 days when high temperature was 14 F and low 11 F without any problem. We carried gallon jugs of water to flush toilet and heat on stove to wash up.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter