Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2023, 07:16 AM   #1

Winter Storage

New to owning my 2019 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 45. Plugged in my RV to a15 amp outlet looking to keep hydro flowing through the unit throughout the winter. Just went to indoor storage facility yesterday and chassis batteries completely drained. inside the front door the battery disconnect (where the main - on & auxillary - on switch) is located was not turned on. Would I need to have this turned on to have electricity flowing to the batteries? Would that have caused this? Knowing that removing the batteries from unit is best solution we figured having it plugged i would have saved us a step. Any feedback would be awesome!

Thanks!
Ryan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2023, 07:25 AM   #2

Yes, turn on; but 15 amp may not be enough power, also.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
Yes, turn on; but 15 amp may not be enough power, also.
I was wondering that...I'll perhaps give it a test over summer when I store for a few weeks at a time. Appreciate it!
Ryan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:45 AM   #4

Lead Acid Battery Storage Methods.

Different RV's are wired differently. Measure battery terminal voltage to be sure how any individual RV works. Chassis and house battery banks may be different, but the same advice to measure applies.

There are many ways to store lead acid batteries. RV's are often wired differently. Some are different from the manufacturers. Some are different from owners changes. Some are different from dealers add-on's.

The fundamental underlying rule is as follows. See attachment for various specific methods.

For storage.
Fully charge lead acid batteries for 14 to 18 hours to clean lead sulfate off the plates. Abused batteries can benefit from longer times. Abused flooded cells can benefit from "conditioning" cycles.

Check water level of flooded cell batteries after charging. Charging consumes water.

Change settings per your method of storage. (Switches off, etc.)

Monitor battery terminal voltage at the battery terminals frequently.

Fully recharge 14 hours before voltage drops below 12.4 volts.

Adjust frequency of checking to match time to 12.4 volts that you found.

After good experience, you will know what to do.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Storing Lead Acid Batteries.pdf (60.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf Charging Lead Acid Bat.pdf (131.4 KB, 6 views)
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:55 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Did you connect a smart battery charger to your batteries?......that is what do when parking my tow vehicle for months at a time.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:57 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
15 amp shore power should be plenty to run a battery charger. If your Fleetwood is like mine, the coach batteries are charged first and they must reach at least 13.3 before the relay opens and the charge goes through to the chassis batteries. If you have a Magnum with your inverter charger and don't know how to set it so the charge goes through....call them, they are very helpful
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:51 PM   #7

What does keep hydro flowing mean.? Not hydrohot heat correct.
One thing battery combiner are not 100% reliable . Use charge only function for inverter charger. Or reliable battery maintainers or dual bank marine charger.
Possible to be better protected in case of power surge/lightning less hours on the expensive inverter. Less likely to trip a GFCI also with just a charger/s IMHO.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter