Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2020, 04:53 PM   #15

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and comments.

I do plan on emptying the fresh water system and put anti-freeze in the drains. I will add stabilizer to the fuel tank and run the engine and gen to make sure they have some treated fuel where it counts.

Yesterday I found a company that makes a 45' x 18' Motorhome Storage Shelter with a 14' x 13' door. I'll order one this coming week (free delivery!). That will keep any rain, snow, branches, small animals and other junk off the roof.

The reason for the heater(s) is that the coach will be stored in the coastal rain forest area of British Columbia about twenty feet above sea level. The snow, if it comes, usually only lasts for a week or two. The temperature seldom gets below freezing; if so not more than a few degrees below and only for a day or two.

With the coach in the storage shelter it will be away from the wind and rain and snow. Therefore I'm hoping that a small ceramic heater will keep the insides warm enough to prevent mold forming as opposed to preventing freezing.

Note: This will be our first winter storage. If the Canada-US border opens in the new year it may be our shortest.

Checking on the unit every week is not going to happen as I live 5 hours away. However family will be across the yard. I'll be sharing the same power pole (separate plug) as the family uses to store their unit so I may be able to get 30 amps.

Storing a coach where it gets very cold for weeks at a time does present many challenges. I like the suggestion about treating the slide seals.
John in YVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #16

[QUOTE=John in YVR;5389391]Thanks everybody for your thoughts and comments.

With the coach in the storage shelter it will be away from the wind and rain and snow. Therefore I'm hoping that a small ceramic heater will keep the insides warm enough to prevent mold forming as opposed to preventing freezing.

Hi John, One of the key factors in preventing mold and mildew is to provide good air flow and ventilation.
We have 2 of the Max-Air vent covers that allow us to keep the roof vents (salon and bathroom) open year round.
Keep every drawer and cabinet door open, fridge open etc. again for more air flow.
Leave the dash vents open as well.
You can also add moisture collecting trays/baskets (RV Stores) that will absorb any moisture in the air.
I have even used trays of kitty litter throughout to absorb moisture.
Sorry, but I am not comfortable with leaving heaters running 24/7, but maybe it's just me.
All the best.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:06 PM   #17

If your worried about moisture , a dehumidifier might be a better choice than a heater.You would have to get one that could be drained with a hose.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:16 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Oh moisture issue... My friends parents use the hanging moisture bead bags in their 5th wheel during storage, they say it works well for them. Can't say I've ever had moisture inside anything from storage. I've had 2 leaky cars that I've battled the moisture, the beads helped both.
lorim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, storage, winter