RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #1

Winter storage of Batteries

Where Iím storing my motor home there is no electric,so I canít plug in. I have 8 house batteries and 2 engine batteries. Does anyone know how I could safely charge all the batteries together at home without 10 different chargers?

Gilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I don't have an answer for that! Just be sure you take pics and make drawings of the wiring before you disconnect the batteries!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #3

Make sure they are all fully charged and disconnect the ground connections on the bats. Should be fine for the winter. Also make sure the tops of the bats are clean to prevent self discharge.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #4

Without spending $$$$$$$$ for a multi bank charger, you could use two or three SMART chargers and rotate between the batteries.

There is no reason to keep them on the charger all the time. Once a battery is charged, it will hold the charge for quite a while.

You can find the Battery Tender Plus on sale for about $50.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #5
tcg

I would leave them in the rig fully charged and disconnected.

It's how tens of thousands of boats and RVs do it here in Michigan for the winter.

Many years ago storage facilities I used to work in would remove and store customers batteries, they would put them all on a shelf and connect them in parallel and then hook them all up about 20 at a time to a charger and then rotate the charger to each shelf throughout the winter.

I haven't seen a set up like that in years.

But if you want to charge all 8 batteries and they are the same size, type, and age, Google balanced charging batteries in parallel. There are two different ways to get the same current to each battery with one charger.

That's a lot of batteries to lift and move and store and charge. Just leave them in the rig.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would not remove them at all. Just charge them and disconnect the ground. Batteries normally self discharge at a rate of about 4% a month so if you went 3 months without charging they would be roughly 15% discharged or so.

If you store outside one solar panel hooked direct to the house batteries would keep them charged but may not keep up with parasitic losses if you do not disconnect the batteries from the coach.

If you have an onboard generator you could stop in once a month and run the genny for a couple hours. If 110 power is available a battery tender could be used for the chassis batteries and the coach's converter could charge the house.

Too many variables without knowing your storage situation but I for certain would not be disconnecting 10 batteries and lugging them around. Every year we see people who connect the batts wrong and fry their electrics when reconnecting the batteries and frankly it is just unnecessary with today's modern systems.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:50 PM   #7

I had a similar situation but not with as many batteries. What I did was charge them fully, leave them in place disconnected. I then would go over and hook up and charge them by running the engine.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:17 PM   #8

During my "Boating" life, I would fully charge the batteries at seasons end, disconnect the leads and simply leave them for 5-6 months unattended over the Winter.
In the Spring, I would plug into shore power and recharge.
With 2 house batteries and 1 starter battery I got 7 years of life before replacing.
I have maintained this same practice with my RV's and once disconnected there is no parasitic draw over the storage period.
If you have no way of charging over the storage period just ....... Charge them, Disconnect them, Leave them.
In the Spring, re-connect and run the genny for a an hour or two to recharge until you can get into an RV park and shore power.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:00 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 12-12-2018, 12:50 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fortunately I can store my MH right beside the house and plug into 30 amp power. Just leave the inverter off and set the charger to it's lowest draw setting.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, storage, winter