Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #1

Winter Storage Tips

My husband and I will be preparing our RV for winter storage. We're new owners and while I can find all sorts of helpful information on winterizing, I have some questions on very basic storage tips. For instance, is it better to store bedding inside the RV or should I store it in my home? Do you keep pots/pans/utensils in the drawers and shelving or should I take them all out? Our RV will be stored in an open storage space but under a cover. Is it wise to additionally cover the furniture with sheets or other coverings? Finally, what are some tried and true methods for keeping rodents away? We will likely use some sort of aromatic deterrent underneath the RV (I guess there is some sort of essential oil spray application) but is it better to place pieces of bar soap or dryer sheets or something else? Thanks for your patience with this newbie's questions!
Angewella is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

We leave bedding and everything but food in the RV during storage. If you crawl around under the RV and stuff any openings with bronze 'wool' it will deter rodents. I still set a couple of traps just as back up. Old sheets for dust covers on furniture can make Spring
recommissioning go faster.

I leave jalousie side windows cracked open and a rooftop vent open under a vent cover to provide air circulation. Refrigerator and all cabinets and closets are left open to allow ventilation and to prevent moisture build up.

Remove batteries from any remotes and smoke detectors and other battery powered devices.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #3

Thank you for the great tips! I'm learning that moisture is definitely not our friend when storing so these are great reminders!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
EV2

Keeping pests out is obviously the best plan, but as nothing is ever foolproof, placing numerous glue traps inside where they can easily be checked, retrieved, and disposed is an important insurance as the last line of defense.
EV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Last winter was our first winter with out MH. We store it in the barn and although we have three resident cats in there we still had a problem with rodents. I went on the war path and bought CabFresh, Irish Spring soap and electrocution mouse traps. After our Siamese cat and I cleaned out the coach, I deployed my secret weapons. Cat confirmed no more mice and the barn smells like an Irish spring!! Happy hunting, Lynn
Lynnowensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

We leave bedding and everything but food in the RV during storage. If you crawl around under the RV and stuff any openings with bronze 'wool' it will deter rodents. I still set a couple of traps just as back up. Old sheets for dust covers on furniture can make Spring
recommissioning go faster.

I leave jalousie side windows cracked open and a rooftop vent open under a vent cover to provide air circulation. Refrigerator and all cabinets and closets are left open to allow ventilation and to prevent moisture build up.

Remove batteries from any remotes and smoke detectors and other battery powered devices.
So does that keep the interior from getting mold so as not to use a air drier or something like that by leaving a vent open or a window cracked?
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
In 4 Ohio winters I've never had a moisture or mold problem. Nothing is left closed to trap moisture. As humidity goes down outside, it goes down inside.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:24 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
In 4 Ohio winters I've never had a moisture or mold problem. Nothing is left closed to trap moisture. As humidity goes down outside, it goes down inside.
Agreed. Going on the 11th OH winter w/the coach this year & have never had a moisture issue.

I do take out all linens, but leave the mattress. I throw old sheets over it & over the furniture. Don't really know why I cover w/sheets, I just do. Probably a throw back from closing up a lakeside cabin for the season.

I remove all items from medicine cabinet, pantry & anything that has a small battery (remotes, clocks, detectors...etc.) & all aerosol cans (hairspray, bug spray...etc). I leave pots/pans/dishes/silverware/Tupperware..etc. Everything comes out of our outside storage bays...gives me a chance to give them a good cleaning.

All cabinet doors are left ajar as well as fridge doors. All blinds are pulled down.

I used to scatter dryer sheets around as I read the smell can deter critters. It did make the coach smell nice come Spring, but then I also read those same critters would just as soon shred them for bedding, so I stopped that years ago.

Ours stays plugged in year round.. If yours is in a storage yard w/o access to power, you should shut off power to both your engine & house batteries using your battery disconnect switches. Before you shut off your house batteries, shut your door so the steps come in, then flip the switch. When you open your door, you'll have to hop down to the ground, but at least your steps won't be out the entire storage season.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter