Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #1

Winter travel adventure

Me and the wife are planning to do our first snowbird adventure. We are not going to make reservations except for maybe a couple days in advance. We hope to start somewhere in Fla the first week of Jan. We hope to travel from Fla to AZ. and back over by sometime in April. We are not planning on staying in one place for extended periods unless we find an area we really like. Our plan right now is to follow the I-10 corridor west and make side trips off I-10 to areas of interest. We want to spend some time in Fla, Al ,MS,LA, TX and onto AZ. We don't plan on doing any boon docking by choice as we are not set up for more than a night or two at a time. We are interested in Nature Architecture and light hiking, wildlife. We will be traveling in a 29ft travel trailer with a slide out. The only thing we have done close to this was to rent a 30ft motorhome for three weeks in Alaska. We know this probably won't be easy but are determined to give it a try. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
CAMPER70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #2

Your plan will definitely work if you're not set on staying on a particular park or in resort areas. If you're flexible it can be done. Pull into a campground around 3pm and preferably on Monday through Thursday. Stay put for the weekend. Have a good winter.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #3

Thank you twogypsies for your response. We are planning on doing just what you suggest. We will try to stay nearby busy places and avoid the big campgrounds if possible.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:27 AM   #4

Sounds kind of like what we have been doing for the past 5 years. From Pa. we head down to Florida, hang out for a couple of weeks then make our way over to the Rio Grande Valley where we will usually stay for at least a month. Then up and over to Tucson in early February for a month. Tucson is usually pretty chilly in January so don't be in a hurry,,, that's why we stay in the RGV for a while. Stop in Van Horn, Texas and drive up to Carlsbad,,, nice trip. Lots to see in New Mexico. Enjoy ! Oh,,, and we very seldom make reservations but last year we had to call around a bit to find a place in Tucson.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:55 AM   #5

The only issues I would see with the game plan is that you will be traveling through "Snowbird" destinations during the winter. If there are specific sites or locations you want to see, I would be making reservations now to make sure I have the location locked down. I'm sure you can hit around and find somewhere to stay, but if you aren't careful the nicer locations will be booked and you will find yourselves in rundown, permanent site campgrounds because that's all you could find. Finding somewhere to overnight between areas shouldn't be too bad, but hitting the more popular destinations for say, a week straight, could cause some headaches and ruin the "vibe" unless planned ahead. Sounds like a great time, ya'll enjoy!!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:06 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Been there, done that. I agree with one of the previous posts that essentially said trying to stay anywhere in Florida during snowbird season without reservations is asking for trouble. You will end up in less than desirable places or more likely Walmart parking lots, if they'll let you. I strongly suggest calling ahead to a few places that you know you'll want to stay and see if they have room. That way you'll at least have someplace you know you'll be and you'll also get an idea as to how difficult it is to find a place to park.
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies from peteyboy,dropthejacks,and david3811. Iwishwe could make reservations but we aren't sure where we want to go or for how long. Don't want to plan that much and just go where ever or when ever. I know most people need plans. My wife usually does but is all in for this. Could use some help in interesting things to see and do between fl and az.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPER70 View Post
Thanks for the replies from peteyboy,dropthejacks,and david3811. Iwishwe could make reservations but we aren't sure where we want to go or for how long. Don't want to plan that much and just go where ever or when ever. I know most people need plans. My wife usually does but is all in for this. Could use some help in interesting things to see and do between fl and az.
Lots to see and do around Pensacola and try to stop around Baton Rouge and check out some of the sugar cane plantations along the Mississippi. Plenty to see around San Antonio and a bit north are some great venues along with a fantastic Pacific War museum. When you get to Arizona there is no end to the attractions just around Tucson which we have been exploring for the last 4 years and haven't come close to seeing it all. You are in for some great adventures !
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #9

Sounds like just what I would like to do.
Hope you have a great time.
Things have a way of working out.
DannyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:20 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We very seldom make reservations for Florida. Never had a problem finding a spot. We leave NC right after Christmas. This year we are planing to visit Disney with the family, then travel I10 west. We have no time restraints so we may stay a night somewhere or a month, however the mood strikes us. We never know exactly where we want to go and sometimes change coarse along the way. Enjoy your trip and safe travels.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #11

You don't mention NM, but we like it and it's on your way to AZ. Specifically, the Alamagoro area (Oliver Lee SP, about 15 miles south of, is awesome). Las Cruces is a fun area with lots of moderate hiking in the area. City of Rocks SP on the way to AZ is a really cool place with again, lots of moderate hiking and really unique terrain. It is probably 50 min north of I10 (north of Deming). Have a fun!
Old 11-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #12

Thanks Peteyboy for the info. I don't think we will go as far north as Baton Rouge probably just stay near the south of the states. We will spend some time Around San Antonio . We have been to Tuscon but know there is much more to see.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #13

Thanks to bsirby and miked1 for your suggestions we will be looking into to them for sure.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #14

Sounds like a great adventure hope you can share it with us ? BTW what TT do you guys have ?
doglover44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, vent, winter