Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #1

Winter travel advice? Tips?

We are leaving alberta the end of nov. For Phoenix. 1st timers so any tips for route to take, snow & winter driving tips & past experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Deborita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I sure can't help you with tips on driving in the snow () but I live near Phoenix and can tell you it was 91 degrees while I played golf today so hurry up and get down here where it's warm!

Travel safely.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #3

For the easy route, stick to the Interstates. I would do I-15 all the way.

Since most campgrounds are closed this time of year, a Rand McNally road atlas containing all of the Walmart locations for any given area might be useful, although with the advent of GPS units, I'm not sure they are any longer available.

In recent times we have pretty much abandoned the Walmart Road Atlas in favour of a Garmin GPS unit. Although we only have a Garmin Nuvi 50, Garmin's lowest end unit, which we bought on sale at Canadian Tire for $120, it works wonders when we are looking for a place to roost for the night. Just plug the Walmart name in, and it will show you then next ten Walmarts along the route as you head South, displaying your time and distance to each one.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #4

Thanks Stan. & RickO. Can't wait. It's snowing like crazy here. Might be tempted to leave sooner.
Anyone else deal with driving down thru snow?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Being a Montana native and an expert slick road driver (LOL) I'd second the notion of taking I 15 all the way. You will have several passes to get over i.e., Monida on the MT/ID border and the summits south of Provo, UT, some over 6500 feet elevation. But once you clear St. George, UT you drop elevation pretty quickly. Whether you are a fan of KOA's or not I'd check to see if any are still open along the way. I've stayed in Beaver and Fillmore, UT and both are nice. Safe travels.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #6

If possible, plan enough extra travel days so if you do encounter slick roads you can hole-up somewhere until the roads clear. Driving an RV in bad weather is not something to experience.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #7

Thanks. We will take i15. Giving ourselves lots of time in case of bad weather.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Driving an RV in bad weather is not something to experience.
It's not that bad and, yes, I've done it. Got to watch cars and 18 wheelers slide into the ditch and the drivers climb out as we passed (slowly).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We will be leaving at the latest Jan 1 heading to Tx to start with and then head over towards Az.
I am sure my over the road experience will come in handy. Although my MH dosen't weight anywhere near 80,000 pounds like the Semi did.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
It's not that bad and, yes, I've done it. Got to watch cars and 18 wheelers slide into the ditch and the drivers climb out as we passed (slowly).
In slick weather, your driving ability is not the main issue, other drivers on the road may not have your abilities, as you pointed out. After your RV gets wrecked, it doesn't matter who was the better driver. I've never been in such a hurry I couldn't lay-over until road conditions improved.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #11

We stay in the Pilot/Flying J in Nephi UT overnight. Exit 222 off I-15. Car parking area is a little away from the big rigs. Some sloping of the parking lot but it is our normal stop. From there it is easy 1 day to Vegas.

Use the 511 numbers on your phone for each state weather condx on the interstate and over passes. Couple of years ago we got stuck in bad weather and hunkered down in Nephi UT truck stop for 4 days. Not a problem. Propane and fuel available.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #12

All the input is great. We know 1 thing for sure is not to be in a hurry. When we get there-we get there.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I have found that an RV with duals in the back gets good traction in the snow. I must admit to be able to not have to do that anymore

Go slow and stop if it gets bad is solid advise. I always told friends that my four wheel drive trucks went great on snow and ice but slide off the road like any other vehicle when you slam on the brakes.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the warm when you get there.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #14

I also carry a set of super z chains. Fits just single wheel of dual each side. Hope not to use them ever but for emergency they are available. Heavy duty bus chains
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, travel, advice