Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
Bobmar, please don't antagonize Old Man Winter. He always has a way of coming back at us in ways we cannot envision. It's bad enough he takes much of our RV fun away every winter. Please don't get him any madder.

I promise I’ll try not to get under his nerves!! Just like to prod him a little bit.
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2021, 04:56 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I have winterization depression syndrome.
Just winterized my Horizon on my home RV Pad.
Lucky me it was about 60f today but it will be freezing by the end of the week.
I always get a little depressed when I finish, it means I can’t go out on the spur of the moment anymore.
Do you get depressed too?
Even after 22 yrs of RVing I always want to just be able to jump in and go somewhere for a few days
Next trip will be New Years week to Destin, Florida for a month.
I live in NE Oklahoma and keep my motorhome in an unheated airplane hangar. In 14 years I never had to winterize it. Then there was last February. Had to learn how real fast. Still had the bypass valve behind the water heater freeze and break. Hope I don’t have to go through that this inter.

Ed
‘05 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
neoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:08 PM   #45

Winterizing "The 10 Ball" is not one of my favorite things to do. Doesn't take long but it means the end of the season, which is a bummer! We cover ours as it sits on a concrete pad on our property. Convenient but removing the cover in very cold weather really sucks so once put to sleep it stays that way until spring. Winters here in southern PA can get nasty.
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:21 PM   #46

I too get a tear in my eyes. Due to health we haven't gotten out much for the last 3 year's. But when we could it was great.
We also live
I live in Western PA and the forecast next week is also for freezing temps
It's already been into the upper 20s
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:00 PM   #47

"Snow" is a 4-letter word

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
We winterize our RV by filling it with stuff and heading South.

12 years of warm winters, so far..
I grew up in Minnesota and most of the time since then in Michigan.

When I retired, I said I never want to deal with that 'S' word again.

This year in the Rio Grande Valley.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:29 PM   #48

Quote:
I always get a little depressed when I finish, it means I can’t go out on the spur of the moment anymore.
Even after 22 yrs of RVing I always want to just be able to jump in and go somewhere for a few days
I put 50 amp service at my house. I have tanks heaters from the factory on all 5 tanks, I make sure each has about 1/3 full. I turn the water heater on electric. I put a 500 watt electric heater in the water bay controlled by a plug in Lux WIN100 thermostat set at 75 degrees (from Amazon).
I open all the cabinets under the sink in both bathrooms and the kitchen and block the bathroom doors partially open. I put two electric heaters set at 750 watts, one in the rear bath, on about 1/3 from the front of the motorhome also on 750 watts. I control both with a Lix thermostat set at 45 degrees. I have bought q WS-10 weather station at Amazon and placed it in the master bath of my home. I bought 3 F007TH sensors, one for the inside of the motorhome, one for the water bay and one for outside. I set the alarm so that if the inside of the motorhome or water bay got below 35 degrees the alarm in my master bath gouse off. I bought 2 F007TP sensors, onr for the frige, one for the freezer and set the alarms to make sure it never got above 42 and 5 degrees respectively. So I just leave it on all winter and don't worry.

I keep the MH stocked with food so I can just unplug and go almost anytime.

In the summer I leave both AC units set at 80 degrees.

I've never winterized in the last 15 years in either of my motorhomes. I live in Alabama and the worst I've seen is -16 degrees and 102 degrees.

However I do have a compressor and fitting to blow out the lines and I have antifreeze in case we get one of those zero degree days!
tunasalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:01 PM   #49

I winterize, dewinterize, winterize, dewinterize several times per year. We go camping year round here in the Mid-Atlantic. You like to camp? Keep doing it.
Doneitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:38 PM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
i never winterize

at least yet; we camp year around, even in well below zero temperature. we ice fish, snowshoe, or just enjoy the solitude in winter's splendor.
i keep the furnace going 24/7 (we'll see how long it lasts) which entails of course keeping propane filled. when it really gets cold i put heat lamps under the floor to assist the fresh water from freezing and black/grey valves from sticking - i have rv antifreeze in the grey/black tanks.
so far so good. only minor issues. one was that the norcold frig got too cold and stop working; only needed a few hours heat lamp on the outside of the panel to free it up. only had that problem once in 3 winters.
we boondock, sometimes running the generator 24/7. we only go out for 3-4 days at a time, but it's cold at home on the rv pad. propane is used for the furnace, at home she is hooked up to 30 amp from the house.
we have to use our own septic as a dump station (the one major accomodation) as all stations close in mid Oct around here.
troutmandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:40 PM   #51

Wintertime blues

Quote:
Mostly I have lived my life in Louisiana where we really don't winterize. I feel for you as our busiest camping happens between Labor Day and Memorial Day. Sure every three to five years we will have a popsicle event. (Ie winter 2020/21) In rare those times I pull out a half dozen heating pads (like you use on a sore back) and wrap several critical areas - that's it.

It's what we do. An opinion based on experience.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:21 PM   #52

I winterize mine in Sept. But then unwinterize it in November to take it to visit family in Texas and Oklahoma for Thanksgiving. It gets re-winterized after that, and generally doesn't move until late March or April.

By February, I start getting withdrawals, and find excuses just to go out to the motorhome and spend a few moments smelling the "vacation" air.
fitzjohnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:29 PM   #53

Why not still go?

I am only in to my 3rd winter coming up, but last year I took winterized trailer to Southern Utah. Went to campsite that had power and used space heater all week. Was warm and comfortable - just used restrooms in state park and worked water needs from 5 gal jugs.

High temp all week was 33° and lows in teens. Hiked every day and had toasty trailer for nights.

Loved it!
Normut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:36 PM   #54

What exactly is this winterization people speak of? We're here in southern AZ, no need for that stuff. We go out year round, though we stay to the south in winter to avoid the freezing temps. Now gas prices, that might keep us parked for a while.
broadhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:00 PM   #55

I have decided I will no longer live in a place where I have to winterize the RV. I sold my house in Grand Junction, CO and currently in SE Utah and plan on migrating south as the weather turns cooler.

I think I am going to travel around for a while till I find another place I would like to live.

Lew
LewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:29 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneitall72 View Post
I winterize, dewinterize, winterize, dewinterize several times per year. We go camping year round here in the Mid-Atlantic. You like to camp? Keep doing it.
Me too. Twice so far this year.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter