Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #43

After a few winters using antifreeze I changed to the air. I bought a small compressor, made a fitting and blew the lines out. Never had an issue. Just make sure you get everything like the outside shower, the ice maker, etc. I used antifreeze in the traps though and down the toilet.
jamesa403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #44

American Coach Owners Club
Winterize using air

One other consideration could be to leave your coach at a location where winterizing is not necessary. Then drive your toad to/from your home. A friend of mine does that with his trailer and it works out well for him. Of course, that means finding storage, but it would avoid the winterizing hassle you would do multiple times per winter.
SRS-Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #45

Winterizing

I’m on my third MH and I always do both....air followed by antifreeze. My current rig is a Tiffin and it comes from the factory set up for easy winterization. I drain my fresh water tank and then open my low point drains followed by opening all fixtures in the rig. Once the water is drained I close the low point drains and remove the plug in the water heater then reopen the low point drains until no additional water flows out of either. Once I have drained the vast majority of the water I close everything up and hook up my air compressor. I believe Tiffin recommends 25 psi to blow the lines out. With the compressor running, I reopen all fixtures until all water is expelled.
When the system is blown out I once again open the low point drains and close them again when the flow stops. As recommended in earlier posts, I then winterize using the onboard water pump, being careful to fill the traps with antifreeze in addition to the antifreeze which flows out of the fixtures. I also make sure there are several cups of antifreeze in both the gray and black tanks.

When I was on my first MH I used air alone for two winters. The first winter caused the ice maker valve to fail. The second resulted in a failure of the toilet water valve. By the third winter I had learned my lesson. My point is that even though you are meticulous, water can remain in the system if you use only air.

Hope all works out well for you! The Phaeton is a wonderful coach.

2014 Tiffin Allegro
namvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNuthouse View Post
We had a travel trailer for about 5 years before we bought our 2019 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH. Every year before the snow I would winterize the TT using antifreeze as we would not use it in the winter as I am not retired. I am still not fully retired but I can now work while being mobile. We live where we get 200 inches of snow a year. We are looking to take multiple trips over the winter returning home for 3-4 weeks at a time. With the Phaeton we will be storing it inside out of the weather but not heated. I do not like the idea of winterizing it with antifreeze multiple times a year. Does anyone use the compressed air method? I know I would still need to put antifreeze in the drains but blowing out the lines seems easier and quicker. I looked at the Phaeton manual and they only talk about the antifreeze method. Will using air void the warranty or destroy something?
OK I was in the camp with the pink stuff until I left my coach at the factory one winter for service.....guess what ...you guessed it...they winterized it with AIR.

So I asked why —-pretty simple it works and it’s easier and more reliable - so they explained what to do and I’ve done it for the last 14 years - and I have a hydro hot - and a fairly complicated coach.

So simple answer is to google winterization by air follow the instructions and if you are still worried just do it again to feel better.

You can do it.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #47

Winterizing RV's

I'm on our second motorhome and always used the air and antifreeze method. Never had a problem in 18 years using this method. As far as any residual taste from antifreeze, we always drink and make ice with bottled water.
2vagabonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:45 PM   #48

Drain the tank, do the hot water tank bypass and drain the heater, pour antifreeze in the sink and shower drains, drain black and gray, add a gallon of potable antifreeze to the black, use compressed air to blow out the lines starting at the water pump, Remember to drain the sink spray hose and drop the shower head onto the floor with the hot/cold valves open. Adding antifreeze to your fresh water tank is wasteful and it takes forever to get rid of the taste. Be careful to regulate the air pressure to less than 35 psi. Also, remove your water filters in in the refer and whereever else you have them, there should be plugs that allow you to remove the filter and pressurize the H2O system. I've winterized up to 200 boats per year and never had any damaged due to freezing. I used a portable tank to blow-down FW systems, it didn't take much air at all.
Bob /14 Winnebago Adventurer, Jeep Toad
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #49

I have a somewhat less expensive travel trailer, my dad had the high end coach.
He usually just blew the tank out with air. One year, we missed the toilet valve. The tablespoon or so of water afforded me the opportunity to learn how to change out the valve.
I still blow mine out because I use it fairly often. Special attention to toilet valve and water pump bowl. I also pour anti-freeze in the p-traps and plug in a space heater when stored.
Instead of clipping on an air hose, I hook up a threaded male to the inlet and have a air compressor nipple on the other end. Plug it in and forget it. Build it yourself for about $4 at Lowes or home depot.
I think that if I had a coach or after I get a little older I'll switch to antifreeze.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:04 PM   #50

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
You have a very new expensive motorhome that explains how to use antifreeze in the manual. If you do not follow those directions and damage happens, your warranty and insurance will have cause to deny the claim. Around here, Menards has the pink stuff on sale for $1.99 a gallon. Since it is so easy to just add it to the bulk water tank and turn on the water pump, it is cheap and easy protection even if the coach will be used in winter.

[QUOTE=RVNuthouse;4957927]We had a travel trailer for about 5 years before we bought our 2019 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH. Every year before the snow
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:22 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrommaine View Post
Drain the tank, do the hot water tank bypass and drain the heater, pour antifreeze in the sink and shower drains, drain black and gray, add a gallon of potable antifreeze to the black, use compressed air to blow out the lines starting at the water pump, Remember to drain the sink spray hose and drop the shower head onto the floor with the hot/cold valves open. Adding antifreeze to your fresh water tank is wasteful and it takes forever to get rid of the taste. Be careful to regulate the air pressure to less than 35 psi. Also, remove your water filters in in the refer and whereever else you have them, there should be plugs that allow you to remove the filter and pressurize the H2O system. I've winterized up to 200 boats per year and never had any damaged due to freezing. I used a portable tank to blow-down FW systems, it didn't take much air at all.
Bob /14 Winnebago Adventurer, Jeep Toad
You made some good points Bob, but I gotta ask, why use regular antifreeze in the shower and sink drains, then use potable antifreeze in only the black tank? Why not use something in the gray tank?

Why limit the air pressure to 35 psi?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:42 PM   #52

I agree, either is good if done properly. I have used air for 16 years and 4 different motorhomes with no issues.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
It will only take one forgotten line or trap, and you have repairs. I did the antifreeze for a couple of times. Didn’t like the taste in the lines, and the labor/cost of doing it multiple times a year. It’s way better for the coach to be kept above freezing. Then you are sure you don’t crack an aquahot, if you have one. That alone will cost way more than having your coach in a climate controlled space.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:30 AM   #54

I always use potable antifreeze except in the engine. Sorry for causing confusion. 35psi is easily achievable and maximizes what you can accomplish with a relatively small volume of air. Plus it virtually guarantees you won't damage anything. Most compressors are set to shut off at 100psi which will very likely cause damage to filters, valves, pipes, water pump, etc. Also, higher air pressure can cause damaging 'water hammer' where you move a slug of water down a length of pipe and when it hits a valve or block it can cause significant damage.
Bob '14 Winnebago Adventurer; Jeep toad
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:49 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNuthouse View Post
Called Tiffin, they said I can do air or antifreeze. They do antifreeze at the factory when they pressure check the system for leaks, the pink liquid shows up easily, no leaks and they are done. The guy at Tiffin would not come out and say but he was implying that with either method if there is a break they do not cover it, as it is out of their control as to how it was winterized. Still not sure but I am leaning towards antifreeze.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-361...CABEgLoIPD_BwE

Simple

Works

No Bad Taste that will linger for weeks +

IMHO much less chance for a Mistake

BUT

You need to have an air compressor and be able to logically Follow Instructions

Even Better Solution - Head south and Avoid the Cold - OR - Turn on the Heat and enjoy the Cold -

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:57 AM   #56

Washer / Dryer needs winterizing too

My W / D has a procedure for getting the water out of it for the winter and requires a bit of RV antifreeze.

Check your manual or lookup online.
GarnettFalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, winter, winterize