Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #85

Grand Design Owners Club
My little porter cable pancake compressor lets me dial in the delivered pressure I want. I think many other compressors do as well. That is so you can fine tune the prssue to the tool such as a brad nailer or framing nailer so that you are sinking the nails correctly according to the wood density.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadman View Post
What is the best low pressure (40-50 psi) air compressor to use when blowing out the water system of a Winnebago Adventurer 37F coach? From what I've read, you cannot use a tire inflator for this purpose because they do not pump the volume of air needed to blow out the pipes.
I use the pressures you indicated. It works for me.

I don't have any experience using a small "tire inflator" but I would think it wouldn't put out enough volume of air. But who knows, try it and report back!

Something just popped into my head. This is a good time to flush the water heater. I found that connecting the water hose to the RV and then removing the drain plug, when you turn on the water white stuff comes shooting out the water heater drain hole. Just be careful your wifes brand new convertible with the top down isn't parked next to the water heater when you do this.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:53 PM   #87

Winterizing Air Compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluffinator View Post
My little porter cable pancake compressor lets me dial in the delivered pressure I want. I think many other compressors do as well. That is so you can fine tune the prssue to the tool such as a brad nailer or framing nailer so that you are sinking the nails correctly according to the wood density.
Which model Porter Cable Pancake compressor do you have? Are all Porter Cable compressors adjustable for pressure?
Spadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #88

Quote:
Which model Porter Cable Pancake compressor do you have? Are all Porter Cable compressors adjustable for pressure?
Any compressor can have a regulator to adjust pressure. And the great majority of compressors (porter cable too) integrate one in the compressor package. Normal thing. A good clue that it has an integrated regulator is if there are two gauges...one for the tank pressure (~130lb to show the tank is full), and the second to indicate what the regulated pressure is (adjusted to 40-50psi).

The larger issue is a compressor that can put out enough CFM, and / or has a large enough tank to do a reasonable job of pushing the water out of the RV system. If low CFM compressor, then it can pump up a larger tank to provide enough umpphh. It doesn't take much pressure. It does take some CFM to get the job done.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:40 AM   #89

I have a 60g Quincy in my shop I use and adjust the pressure down to 60psi. But,but,but

I live in Texas so cold here can't compare to up north. We only get a few days a year where we are in the low 20's.

We use our MH all 4 seasons and usually blow it out a few times during the winter and in January may or may not blow it out and suck some antifreeze in.

Best thing I bought was a Camco air chuck that was threaded with a male hose fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Brass-C...68&sr=8-1&th=1

If I was getting one today I'd probably get this one. I like the ball valve.

https://www.amazon.com/Winterize-Mot...QMXQWH92QDNDCB
Old 10-06-2019, 12:35 PM   #90

Winterizing with Air

Thanks for the great info folks.

I too presently live in Texas and, the past two winters, I have simply drained everything and put the pink stuff in the sink and shower traps because it seldom gets really cold for very long here.

One of my friends owns a 5th wheel and he always blows out the lines with compressed air and that was why I asked the question.

Great responses! Thanks.
Spadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #91

Quote:
Thanks for the great info folks.

I too presently live in Texas and, the past two winters, I have simply drained everything and put the pink stuff in the sink and shower traps because it seldom gets really cold for very long here.

One of my friends owns a 5th wheel and he always blows out the lines with compressed air and that was why I asked the question.

Great responses! Thanks.
Not sure why you bother to winterize at all as if it does get cold to freeze the traps, then the fresh water lines are already gone. And the traps are the absolute easiest thing to repair if they get cracked.

Some folks think gravity low drains are good enough. I think they are the same folks that haven't looked under their countertops to see how the lines are actually run. Lots of dips everywhere that gravity doesn't drain.

At a minimum, blow the lines dry. Takes 10 minutes once the low point drains are empty. The washer and the ice maker can take another 10.

Just a thought.

Tags
air, winter, winterize