Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #1

Winterizing

I normally winterize myself but my camper was at the dealer getting warranty work done and they have had it over a month and the weather is getting cooler so I had them do it for me. I Brought it home yesterday, and I was checking it out today and decided to check the fresh water drain, sure enough I turned the drain and the tank was full of water. At this point I don't trust what they did and am going to have to do it over myself. I know that they did some because I see pink in the sink and the outside connection. This was Campers Inn in Kingston NH and they charged me $200.00
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
tcg

What was their response when you asked them about it?

I would probablly double check or redo everything but I would give them a chance to either do it again properly or ask for a full or partial refund.

No matter what I would be calling them just to hear them explain.

In the boating world most dealers stand behind their winterizing. I've seen a number of cracked engine blocks and water lines replaced due to a tech missing something.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #3

They said sorry it's not that big of a deal. I said it was a big deal and my tank would have frozen, needless to say I got nowhere.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #4

That’s exactly why I winterize our boat and motorhome myself. I know it’s done right. I can’t say it’s at the top of my list of fun things to do, but I sleep very well on those cold winter nights knowing that this has been done correctly.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
once you said where - i was not at all surprised!
djc290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #6

I would of thought the Manger whom I talked to would have offered me some kind of discount.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
I would of thought the Manger whom I talked to would have offered me some kind of discount.
I would have thought so too. Unfortuneatly you are between a rock and a hard place. If you put up too much stink about this I wish you luck if you have to go back for warranty service again.
If your warranty is about to expire then you could either cancel payment on your check or protest the credit card payment.
$200 seems a little steep for a 1/2 hour job and two or three gallons of pink antifreeze.
Lynn
Old 10-10-2019, 06:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc290 View Post
once you said where - i was not at all surprised!
Yes [emoji106]
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #9

And on top of the fresh water tank not being drained, I have the residential fridge and they didn't drain the water out of the lines, and I asked them if they used an air compressor to blow out the lines and was told they did plus the anti freeze, I turned on the fridge and got numerous cups of water out the water dispenser without even using my compressor. I took a video of the water coming out the dispenser that I'm going to show them when I demand a refund. It looks like all the guy did was dump in a few gallons of antifreeze.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:24 AM   #10

I'm glad you didn't take the winterizing for granted and didn't check it out. From what you have said I believe you would have had a real mess in the spring when you took your RV out of storage.
Without sounding like I'm trying to tell you what to do I will tell you what to do.
Start the winterizing all over from step one until you have covered all the bases. This would include draining the black and gray tanks. Who knows how much water was left in them from blowing out the lines etc? Pull the water heater plug to be sure the heater got drained. Check the low point drains to be sure they were emptied. If they missed the fridge entirely did they think about the outside shower if you have one? Without draining the fresh water tank you may have clear water in the line between the tank and the water pump.
Antifreeze is cheap in comparison to the cost of everything which could become damaged from freezing.
Do you have a washing machine or dishwasher? If so I would doubt they got treated to the winterizing.
Keep records of any shortcomings you discover along the way. "Pictures are worth a thousand words" is an old saying but it certainly applies to your situation.
Good Luck and let us know how this turns out.
BTW, I wouldn't take the RV back to them for a redo even if they paid me. They had their shot. Regretfully they missed their target.
Lynn

Tags
winter