Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2017, 05:53 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
There are two types of RV antifreeze, the cheap stuff with alcohol and the good kind like was always used in past years. Alcohol can evaporate out and cause some degradation of soft plumbing parts. I use the good stuff, found it at Lowes last year.
Good stuff??......Please tell me about it......I was not aware of any other "better" grade of RV anti freeze as I would use it.

Thank, you,

g
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 07:00 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't think there is much difference in brands but the concentration of water is probably higher in the cheaper brand allowing for the difference in rated temperatures. Since it only takes a gallon to winterize the difference in cost is less than $.50 so why bother worrying about the added cost. Whether it is better or not I couldn't say but maybe I will do a test between the brands this winter when I am bored.

As I understand it the pink stuff gets slushy but does not freeze solid and therefore can move preventing the damage. It is doubtful that I will see temps low enough to make a meaningful determination though. Zero is about as low as we go most years and only then for a day or two. This last winter was unusual, looked like Manitoba here for a couple months.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Good stuff??......Please tell me about it......I was not aware of any other "better" grade of RV anti freeze as I would use it.

Thank, you,

g
One of a number of sites to learn about RV antifreeze: What you need to know about RV Anti-Freeze - J&M Camper Sales - Maine Camper DealerJ&M Camper Sales – Maine Camper Dealer
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hi guys! We gotter done!

Went pretty smooth except I got the valves backwards on the drain low points oops!

Jarwiebe, check this out. I too had never seen their RV Antifreeze.

Thanks emuller1. That's just what we did!
Keymastr, you bet! Especially now that I have that dripline right lol.

Nlovnit, depends where you are for both. My particular area of Montana has been literally 'the coldest place on earth' although it doesn't happen often... shipping goods in here gets passed onto consumers, although this was very fair by comparison.

Indy Glenn, we're having fun learning little nuisances yes?

Lynnmor !!!! Loved reading that article, so glad you shared!!!

Ok helping our neighbors (who just picked up a loved RV) and picked up the other jug. So I got pics before they decided to return for the other stuff we used - Sta-bil. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4182.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	177563Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4183.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	730.6 KB
ID:	177564

Glad my blonde headed questions are helping others.

Sam
Old 09-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If it gets lower than -50, I shouldn't be living where I am.

Interesting, I see the 1st ingredient in the STA-BIL (& probably the more expensive) brand is Water. Doesn't the 1st ingredient listed mean that's what there's the most of?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:53 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, yes the first ingredient is what there is the most of however the real story is that the cheap stuff has alcohol as the first ingredient and alcohol can soften the plastics in the plumbing system. No alcohol in the Sta-bil.

The reason water is listed ahead of propylene glycol is because it needs to be a certain ratio of water to glycol to be most effective. Anti-freeze without any water will freeze at a higher temperature than it does with water
Old 09-24-2017, 04:12 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
lynnmor - Thanks for the great article.......I enjoyed reading it and learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSam View Post
Hi guys! We gotter done!

Indy Glenn, we're having fun learning little nuisances yes?

Glad my blonde headed questions are helping others.

Sam
Glad you Got-R-Done Sam.......always a good feeling of accomplishment!!

And one thing you'll learn Sam, about RVing and the equipment is, you'll never stop learning, which is why I always have my morning coffee perusing iRV2!!

Now I'm going to have to look for that Sta-Bil stuff!! LOL Amazon - here I come!!

(Hi Lori!!!!!!)

g
Old 09-24-2017, 07:41 AM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Walmart had Sta-bil
Old 09-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Blow out VS Antifreeze

I had a conversation with a longtime friend who is the Manager of Large RV Service Sales store. He has been in the business his entire life and tells me that the hundreds of RV's they have, they blow all the lines clear and never had a problem.

So that is what I began doing. Open the low drain points, open faucets, let everything drain. Open the Hot Water heater plug, then close all faucets and replace drain plug on hot water. I use a clamp on air spicket that attaches to the Air blow out plug. The plug goes in your city water input. I set my compressor on a lower setting of about 25lbs. Close off the bypass system on the hot water heater. Then open the faucets furthest away from your inlet. with the compressor running I regulate each source, hot then cold back and forth until absolutely no mist or anything but pure air is coming through. Then I work my way closer to the next fixture, even run a rinse and drain cycle on the Washer. Lastly is the outside shower. After all is done I repeat the faucet water purge, skipping the hot water heater portion as it has already been done. Drain all the p-traps and put 1c in each including shower, stool and about 2Qt in the washer and run a rinse cycle to keep pump free and clear of water. Also run through the RV pump. Takes me about an hour.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How do you drain the traps? I just assumed it would be ok to just pour it down the drain and fill the traps that way. Probably takes less your way but this way it would put some in the bottoms of the tanks. Do you operate the dump valves at all with some pink in there to keep the valves from freezing up or am I over thinking that?
Old 09-24-2017, 08:22 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
I had a conversation with a longtime friend who is the Manager of Large RV Service Sales store. He has been in the business his entire life and tells me that the hundreds of RV's they have, they blow all the lines clear and never had a problem.

Ok but WHERE in the country? That makes a big difference -- at least in my opinion.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
How do you drain the traps? I just assumed it would be ok to just pour it down the drain and fill the traps that way. Probably takes less your way but this way it would put some in the bottoms of the tanks. Do you operate the dump valves at all with some pink in there to keep the valves from freezing up or am I over thinking that?
Keymastr, not that we are doing it 'right'... It's very apparent we are first timers.. but we did put it in our release valves. We also poured some down each drain into the p traps. My understanding is, it will eventually 'wash out' when we put a fresh tank of water in the fresh tank and do a full system flush...

Maybe more experienced members can further educate...
Old 09-24-2017, 11:01 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post

So that is what I began doing. Open the low drain points, open faucets, let everything drain. Open the Hot Water heater plug, then close all faucets and replace drain plug on hot water. I use a clamp on air spicket that attaches to the Air blow out plug. The plug goes in your city water input. I set my compressor on a lower setting of about 25lbs. Close off the bypass system on the hot water heater. Then open the faucets furthest away from your inlet. with the compressor running I regulate each source, hot then cold back and forth until absolutely no mist or anything but pure air is coming through. Then I work my way closer to the next fixture, even run a rinse and drain cycle on the Washer. Lastly is the outside shower. After all is done I repeat the faucet water purge, skipping the hot water heater portion as it has already been done. Drain all the p-traps and put 1c in each including shower, stool and about 2Qt in the washer and run a rinse cycle to keep pump free and clear of water. Also run through the RV pump. Takes me about an hour.
I had thought of going this route but by the time you blow everything out, then put pink stuff in all the traps and then prime the pump with antifreeze, you might as well just run antifreeze through the system and save yourself some time. I would just blow things out and not worry about the antifreeze at all if it wasn't for the pump. I don't know how to be sure the pump doesn't still have a little water in it.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hey Off Road.
If I lived south of here I might consider less. But on the other hand -- a few bucks and minimal time vs issues and bigger bucks stalling the get out and go... well for us at this far north, I'm starting the winter season this way. We constantly hear of lived in homes with broken pipes up here. And after living in the Deep South doing hurricanes we understand water damage all too well.

Good luck in your choices and may we all roll come early spring. 🤠

Tags
winter