Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 05:15 PM   #1

Winterizing House before leaving for the winter

Just curious to what everyone does to there home before leaving for the winter? We live in Indiana.
Thanks for the ideas !!!
bjburkhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
We have a wifi thermostat (Ecobee) so we know exactly what temperature the house is at and we can warm it up before we head home (we're usually gone for about 5 months in the winter).

Plus if the temp goes below 50 degrees in the house, I'll get an alert on my phone.

I also have a water sensor in the basement. if it detects water on the floor, I get a different alert.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
We have a wifi thermostat (Ecobee) so we know exactly what temperature the house is at and we can warm it up before we head home (we're usually gone for about 5 months in the winter).

Plus if the temp goes below 50 degrees in the house, I'll get an alert on my phone.

I also have a water sensor in the basement. if it detects water on the floor, I get a different alert.
We have that thermostat also. Do you shut all your water off and drain the lines and your hot water heater?
Old 10-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a well so we turn off the pump and release all pressure from the water lines. Turn off the electric water heater (do not drain it) empty the fridge and turn it off. We have a battery backup sump pump in case the power goes out. We set the furnace thermostat to 55 degrees, arm the security systems, lock the doors and go.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:11 PM   #5

Winterizing House before leaving for the winter

Our home is in central Indiana and for 18 years we wintered in AZ. We put 1 cup of bleach in all toilets, close lids and in all drains. Open doors of cabinets under sinks. Set thermostat to 50 degrees. Turn off ice maker and dump ice. Set water heater to vacation setting or very low if yours doesnít have that setting. Shut off water. Never had a problem.

When we return, turn water back on and set water heater to normal setting. It takes 8 hours to get to our normal set temperature of 73 degrees, so we stay the night in our motor home.
mrboyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:10 PM   #6

Here is an opinion from a retired General Contractor: Shutting down your entire water system in the house seems like a good idea at first. There is a very small possibility of any water leaks and frozen pipes. The downside, however, and it's big one, is that hardwood flooring requires a humidity of 35% to 55% to behave normally. In short, hardwood flooring despise low humidity in the winter. Shrinkage gaps are a real possibility.
Contractor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:58 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the updates so far, a lot to think about
Old 10-26-2021, 03:54 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
bjburkhalter-

We live in a town with a lot of vacation homes. There are two popular approaches to winterizing a house:

1) Keep the AC power on and turn down the heat. This approach works best if someone can look after your house. He can determine if the house needs more work to prevent freezing/damage during protracted power outages.

2) Shut everything down. Heating system contains antifreeze, water lines and water heater drained, water shut off at the street entrance, RV antifreeze in the traps and toilet bowls.

Most owners hire a property manager and/or a plumber to take care of the tasks listed and, if needed, to watch over the house over the Winter.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor77 View Post
Here is an opinion from a retired General Contractor: Shutting down your entire water system in the house seems like a good idea at first. There is a very small possibility of any water leaks and frozen pipes. The downside, however, and it's big one, is that hardwood flooring requires a humidity of 35% to 55% to behave normally. In short, hardwood flooring despise low humidity in the winter. Shrinkage gaps are a real possibility.
Iíve been avidly reading this thread because Iíll be leaving the northeast for warmer parts and will be gone for three months. This will be my third winter away. The first two we left the heat set at 50 degrees, locked the door and left. Year one we came home to find there was a small leak under a sink on a second floor that did massive damage as you can imagine. Thankfully covered by insurance and made new.

I got smarter in year two and installed a smart thermostat. Got an alert one night that temps were falling in my house. Called a plumber who discovered a frozen pipe and took care of the problem while we were away.

Being 2 for 2 with plumbing problems, we are planning to winterize the house by installing antifreeze in the baseboard pipes and draining the water lines. As Contractor77 said, I want to keep the house somewhat warm since all my floors are hardwood.

Contractor77 - what do you think?
Souljourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:13 AM   #10

We have a humidifier that is set at 35% humidity level which is feed by water. Without water, you have no humidification. Therefore, we leave our water on and have installed a Honeywell thermostat which we remotely control.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075BF6V58...ing=UTF8&psc=1

If water leaks are a concern, I would recommend switching out any interior shut off valves, more than 10 years old, servicing a faucet or toilet with a new, 1/4 turn shut off valve. https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCra...X-C1/202047059
Contractor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:35 AM   #11

Some people donít think about toilets if power goes off they freeze and break dump some Rv antifreeze in them.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:01 AM   #12

We winterize the house in Montana and summerize the house in Arizona. For both, we turn off water heater and drain it. Water is turned off. Heat to 50˚ in Montana and A/C to 90˚ in Arizona. In Montana a temp sensitive light is put in the window, it turns on at 40˚ and the neighbors know who to call if the light comes on. Propylene glycol RV antifreeze is put in all drains and the toilets. It doesn't evaporate as fast. In Arizona I add a couple of ounces of mineral oil as a floater to the toilets to keep evaporation even lower. I put trickle chargers on the batteries. That's really about it. Of course we notify the neighbors and lock the doors, pull shades stop the paper and garbage and all that stuff. You can also drape the furniture if you want. We always leave the house with fresh sheets on the beds and the laundry done, but that's up to you.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #13

Thanks for all the responses. Do you unplug your water softner so it doesnt regenerate?
Old 10-26-2021, 08:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor77 View Post

When genuine hardwood flooring is laid (3/4" thick kind) it's humidity level is much lower than 35%. If it is laid tight then nailed, cracks widening between board should not appear. If cracks do appear, the installer wasn't very good IMO.

My 54 yr. old Oak hardwood floors are still tight and I shut off the city water and set heat on 50į every winter we are away. The risk of a water leak for far outweighs any chance of a crack between hardwood flooring widening then shrinking again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter