Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2018, 06:20 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I let mine drain for a day or 2 then I blow out lines and get a red solo cup full of water out of each faucet.
Exactly.
Another believer!
Honestly Guys, it is not a big deal to do it this way.
Murphcrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 06:27 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeannetta View Post
I don’t get it. If you blow all the water out, there is nothing to freeze. Also keeps fresh water in lines in the spring. No pink to drink.
Right!!

You can't just blow out the water until you hear a sound like there is still a bit of water in the system. You have to shut down all taps and drains and re pressurize the system and do then do the blow again. I usually do it 3 times, waiting for pressure to buildup at each tap before opening them.

NO BIG DEAL
Old 10-29-2018, 06:29 AM   #45

Quote:
I drain the clear plastic cap at bottom of pump. I them run pump to drain and flush.

Mine works the same way. No Brainer.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:48 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
At the risk of upsetting the OP I must say I don't agree with the driving around theory to drain the lines.
I start my winterizing by draining the water heater tank, the fresh water tank and opening the low point drains. I usually leave them open overnight before blowing the lines out with compressed air. I remove the shower hoses from the inside and outside shower faucets and hang them outside to drain.
I use compressed air from a portable air tank to blow the "P" trap drains out. If you have a double bowl kitchen sink you will have to install one drain stopper in one of the bowls so air pressure blows into the trap.
The gray water tank drain valve is left open and drains into a pail for discard.
Next I put 6 gallons of pink antifreeze in the fresh water tank which was previously drained. With the water heater in the bypass mode and the low point drains closed I turn the on board water pump on.
I start at the kitchen sink and while holding a small pail under the faucet I turn a faucet on and wait until I see clear pink antifreeze. I shut the faucet off then turn the other faucet on and watch for the clear pink stuff. I then discard the water drained and move to the bathroom sink and repeat, then move to the shower and cycle the faucets. Then to the outside shower and cycle the faucets
I close the gray water drain after all the water has drained from the tank.
Going back to the kitchen faucet I open both faucets and let them run a few seconds to fill the "P" traps with clear pink antifreeze then repeat the process with the bathroom sink and the two showers.
Lastly I run the toilet until I see clear pink antifreeze from the flush nozzle.
I then crack open the low point drains to let pink anti freeze flow to protect the lines and the valves.
There will be pink antifreeze remaining in the fresh water tank. I place a pail under the drain and let the antifreeze drain out completely.
After the antifreeze is drained I put what drains out of the fresh water tank into the toilet and flush it away leaving it to mix with the water discharged while waiting for the pink stuff to flow.
There will be enough antifreeze drained into the tanks to protect the drain valves from freezing while stored for the winter and keep the tank floors wet while sitting idle to help keep any solids from hardening.
Every spring I still break into a sweat when first hooking up the water. I've been using the same method since 1977 when we first started camping.I haven't had a leak yet.
Note: We carry drinking and cooking water. We do not drink water from the fresh water tank. Don't plan to either.
Lynn
WOW!!! A lot said.
With six gallons of antifreeze, I could winterize over 30 Motorhomes - 100% Safely.
So for 41 years doing the 6 gallon method, (and thousands of gallons of fresh water), you used antifreeze for well over 1200 winterizing jobs for your 41 jobs -- OUCH !!!
Of course, your system would more than certain, be winterized. You should buy the antifreeze in 50 gal drums, what a saving you would enjoy!

If your unit is 41 years old (if it is), you should be able to skip a few years from having to winterize at all as your lines and plumbing system probably have sufficient antifreeze that could leach out over a winter or two, from your plastic pipes and lines. This would afford you freeze protection for 40 below winters!!!

To L (each) his own. Obviously, my thought -----RIDICULOUS !!
Old 10-29-2018, 08:05 AM   #47

Quote:
no antifreeze flavor to wash out of the fresh water, ice makers, shower....
If you stay away from the cheap stuff, that uses alcohol, with an added bitterant, you will not have the taste problems.
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #48

Murphcrud:
Thank you for spending hours to compute my expenses and my inept ability to keep them under control.
Btw, I do buy the pink stuff in 55 gal. drums. It sure is more economical than by the gallon. By the time I winterize everything on the farm I do make a substantial dent in the supply. The booms on my 1200 gal. crop sprayer only take a cup or two by your assessment method. I've been so wasteful. Boo hoo.
Have a nice day and thanks again.
Lynn
Old 10-29-2018, 06:02 PM   #49

"No brainer." "No big deal." "Not a big deal to do it this way." You are doing a lot of turf defending over a simple trivial job. Just do it whatever way you want. We'll do the same.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:13 AM   #50

I guess you can still take a horse to water and still can't make them drink.

No matter how good you think you have the traps blown out or the water lines blown out there is still water in them. This is why we pour antifreeze into the traps and use the water pump to suck antifreeze into the water lines. Not till I sucked antifreeze into the lines did I really see this. I watched as I saw the clean water leave the lines and the pink crap fill the lines. Once the pink was there I knew I was protected.

As for the pink junk...

I purchase the stuff you could drink without any possibility of getting sick or kicking the bucket.

On my first year with the motor home and haven't drank from the water tank but maybe I will this year after making it safe. My dealer motor home dealer was supposed to have sanitized the tank but the display of black junk coming from the faucet tells me differently. It took a across the country trip and dumping the tank once we got to Arizona to have clear water that didn't stink.
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:35 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
I’ve blown out my waterline for last 3 years and added pink to traps and all but water tanks. I store my coach in unheated barn in snow belt of North East Ohio. Temp very often below zero. I’ve had no problem at all. Knock on wood. I think if you do it yourself and make sure you get 99% of water out you are ok. You do need to make sure you drain the water from pump, refrigerator, water heater, washers.... if it’s done correctly you will should have no problems.
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #52

Yep - I've winterized my sailboat now for years in the same manner only leaving more 'pink stuff' in the lines than I do with the MH.

I blow out the lines then pump through pink bypassing the hot water and fresh water tanks. Traps get pink when I pump it through the faucets. I am sure, too, there are points in the lines that will hold water even when left open to drain along the highway ... just don't want to take the chance.

I'm in the better safe than sorry crowd especially given it all takes less than an hour!
cjmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #53

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
One thing didn’t see was the mention of the water pump. The filter on the pump (atleast mine ) still is full of water, and what about the check valve on the city water inlet ?

[/I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphcrud View Post
Hello Guys,

I already know what most of you guys will say before you even finish reading this, but for the ones who winterize by blowing out the lines only, with a bit of antifreeze in each trap, I have a thought that I would like to share.

On your final outing before leaving your dump station, drain hot water, and thoroughly drain holding tanks with all taps, inside and out fully opened, including shower. All drain points will also be left open until we arrive at our MH parking space for the winter which will be 75 miles from last outing site. ALL water will be drained leaving you to just add a cup full of antifreeze to each p-trap.

No need to blow out the lines as there will be nothing to blow out.This method is only a theory and am wondering if anyone has done this up in the Great White North or Michigan, New York, or other border States.

Someone is going to say, "Why would you even attempt to do this???" "Use antifreeze, it's cheap and safer"
I am only addressing anyone who has an opinion on my theory, not the antifreeze users.

This posting is meant for ONLY those who blow out their water lines -----, I have been blowing out the lines over many years without the use of antifreeze (except final cup in traps).

Thanks guys

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #54

Concur

Been doing it the way you describe for 10 years. I would add a reminder to make sure water is clear from water pump also.
Never a problem.
I have also hooked up my compressor only to find that the lines are already clear!
northforkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #55

Didn't drive it like you did, but did blow it out and left everything open one year. Cost me a water pump that retained water and cracked over the winter. PITA, but I"ve loaded it with the pink stuff ever since.
danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphcrud View Post
To the guy who suggested that water could still get trapped in bends etc., as I stated, I am driving 75 miles, sloshing any remaining water in these bends or loops, allowing them to drain out.

I AM AGAIN ASKING IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS TRIED THIS METHOD.
DON'T KNOCK IT UNTIL YOU HAVE TRIED IT.

Thanks Guys.
That's exactly the part I wouldn't trust. No, I haven't tried it. The risk/reward just isn't there for me.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, winter